Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Alaska flying jobs

Old 12-13-2009, 06:32 PM
El Capitan

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Default Alaska flying jobs

Does anyone know who is hiring in Alaska? I am interested in working in Nome, Kotzebue, Barrow, Anchorage or Fairbanks starting in the Spring.
Thanks!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Jump Seat

Originally Posted by Kougarok View Post
Does anyone know who is hiring in Alaska? I am interested in working in Nome, Kotzebue, Barrow, Anchorage or Fairbanks starting in the Spring.
Thanks!
If you are really interested then you should jump seat up to Nome if you can and start knocking on doors. In good times and in bad Alaska operators are bombarded with resume's from half interested adventure seekers who do not really know what they are getting into. Most faxed or mailed resumes go straight into the trash.

Showing up in person is the best way to stand out from the pile.

Skyhigh
Old 12-16-2009, 12:14 PM
El Capitan

Thanks Skyhigh. I am going up to Nome in March to watch the and of the Iditarod and visit my parents. I flew in Alaska before flying jets. I am out of touch and was trying to find out who is hiring.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008

You know where to go to find the companies that do 135 operations up there. I live in the northwest and would be very interested in finding a flying job up there for the summer or the long run.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:27 PM
El Capitan

Originally Posted by RomeoSierra View Post
You know where to go to find the companies that do 135 operations up there. I live in the northwest and would be very interested in finding a flying job up there for the summer or the long run.
Like SkyHigh said the best way to stand out from the pile is to show up on the doorstep. I know most of the 135 operators I worked for 15 to 20 years ago liked to hire inexperienced pilot as freight loaders initially or mechanics/ helpers. It seems to me the requirements for a co-pilot were less about experience and more about being a team player. I was hired into the right seat of a BE-99 in 1981 with 200 hours. Mostly because I was standing there!
Here are some websites:
Bering Air Alaska
Arctic Transportation Services - Home Page
Hageland Aviation Services - Passenger and Cargo Service to rural Alaska - Aircraft Charter Service in Anchorage
Good Luck!
Old 12-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Sleeping in the black swan’s nest.

Thanks!
Having lived in Kotzebue for a short time I just have to ask..Have you ever been there? Barrow might be even worse. Nome is pretty bad but not nearly as bad as OTZ. My favorite Tee shirt from OTZ said "If you don't think hell freezes over spend a winter in Kotzebue" it's not to far off.

Give these guys a call I hear they are always hiring. And you know what that means.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:19 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2009

Oh come on, OTZ is a winter wonderland compared to some of the villages up here
Old 12-17-2009, 09:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by CosmoNot View Post
Oh come on, OTZ is a winter wonderland compared to some of the villages up here
True fact my friend..
Old 12-17-2009, 10:15 PM
El Capitan

Originally Posted by Airhoss View Post
Having lived in Kotzebue for a short time I just have to ask..Have you ever been there? Barrow might be even worse. Nome is pretty bad but not nearly as bad as OTZ. My favorite Tee shirt from OTZ said "If you don't think hell freezes over spend a winter in Kotzebue" it's not to far off.

Give these guys a call I hear they are always hiring. And you know what that means.

Actually I was born in Kotzebue. And yes it can get a little chilly! Barrow is colder but the flying is easier. My first job was working for Ryan Air aka ATS. I don't care to work for them again.
I am leaning more towards flying in the SE. Maybe Juneau or Yakutat.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Actually I was born in Kotzebue. And yes it can get a little chilly! Barrow is colder but the flying is easier. My first job was working for Ryan Air aka ATS. I don't care to work for them again.
I am leaning more towards flying in the SE. Maybe Juneau or Yakutat.
Yep I flew for Ryan as well and I wouldn't ever care to again either. Chilly really had very little to do with what makes OTZ a pit. Passed out puke soaked drunks in the hall way of the 21 unit, the aroma of the burning dump. Stuff like that, oh the memories.