Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Part 135
DUI - Canadian rehabilitation, visa, TRP !?! >

DUI - Canadian rehabilitation, visa, TRP !?!

Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

DUI - Canadian rehabilitation, visa, TRP !?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 10:56 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2009
Position: CRJ
Angry DUI - Canadian rehabilitation, visa, TRP !?!

I have had the misjudgment and misfortune to now have a DUI on my record. ATP and medical intact, but great job likely lost due to inability to enter Canada.

My understanding is that there is a 5-year minimum prior to being eligible for "rehabilitation" and thus legal reentry into Canada. This was confirmed (strongly so) by personnel at the Canadian border. However, Canadian government web and printed documents mention options for special permission and temporary residence permits. Nothing I've seen though indicate options for the short term ... without a quick solution I *will* lose my job making the point moot.

(The border agents I spoke to were in no way supportive or even cognizant of any options prior to 5 years ...)

Does anyone have any insight, experience, advice related to this matter?

Thanks much!
Old 11-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: retired

Use the web site. The border guys are no better than ours if you know what i mean.I had friend who knew her rights and the people at the border just backed down.Need to get your ducks in a row...
Old 11-17-2009, 06:40 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2009

I had a Co-worker refuse a Breathalizer after an car accident, approx 5 years ago. He lost his drivers license for 6 months. He had to take a Taxi for every flight, but I don't recall any other flying issues arrising from it.
I used AOPA legal services a few years back for an unrelated issue. I think I paid the $20-30 and they did give me a to an aviation Lawyer who did give me a free first meeting and some good advise.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:39 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2009

Do you have an actual DUI conviction or just an arrest? In what state were you arrested? Have you actually tried to enter Canada as a crewmember? What was your BAC? If you did try to enter as a crewmember, how did they flag you? Can you avoid Canada? Don't give up just yet but I need more info. to help you.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by JETUPANDGO View Post
I had a Co-worker refuse a Breathalizer after an car accident, approx 5 years ago. He lost his drivers license for 6 months. He had to take a Taxi for every flight, but I don't recall any other flying issues arrising from it.
I used AOPA legal services a few years back for an unrelated issue. I think I paid the $20-30 and they did give me a to an aviation Lawyer who did give me a free first meeting and some good advise.
Did anything in this post or your co-worker's situation have anything to do with Canada's special restrictions on admission of people who have been convicted of certain criminal offenses, including DUI/DWI?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: F/O- G-V/550

Originally Posted by yellowhouse View Post
I have had the misjudgment and misfortune to now have a DUI on my record. ATP and medical intact, but great job likely lost due to inability to enter Canada.

Does anyone have any insight, experience, advice related to this matter?

Thanks much!
Canadian border agents are very hard to deal with. They are a real pain in the a$$.... no easy way to deal with them. Going to Canada with a prior DUI conviction will be a nightmare, even after the 5 year thing. here's my situation

I got a mistaken identity problem, there's a guy outhere, (same name, last name and birthday), he's a real bad dude.

Everything goes pretty smooth most of the time I fly to Canada, but every now and then, it does not. Once they held me in Montreal for 6 hours, and Halifax for 4...One time in Toronto they were about to throw me back, but my chief pilot called and explained the situation. I've been threated like a criminal there a couple of times and never done anything wrong or illegal my whole life

I've visited 20-30 countries, Only Canada gives me problems.... sorry about your situation, just telling you what to expect

Last edited by UCLAbruins; 12-31-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: G280- Captain

A couple of years ago my DO/Captain and I were walking out to our Hawker with our country music client we had been on tour with when the manager informed us that we were not going to be allowed to go to our next tour stop in Canada because one of the pilots had a DUI. DOH! I knew it wasn't me, and the DO/Capt denied all. Come to find out he had had a DUI arrest a couple of years before, but no conviction because of a technicality (so he says). At first, there was nothing we could do. Much ass kissing, and negotiating finally got us a "you can fly here, but the guilty pilot cannot leave the plane!" Plus, I think a lot of people were going to lose a lot of money if the concert didn't happen. Enroute, our dispatcher negotiated a deal with them where he could get off the plane, but he could not drive anywhere. Our company was going to shuttle another pilot up to swap out because we were suppose to be in country for a week. They are hard asses, but I think you can negotiate with them. Maybe tell them you will not drive while there. It's worth a shot.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:05 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2008

Originally Posted by UCLAbruins View Post
I got a mistaken identity problem, there's a guy outhere, (same name, last name and birthday), he's a real bad dude.

Everything goes pretty smooth most of the time I fly to Canada, but every now and then, it does not. Once they held me in Montreal for 6 hours, and Halifax for 4...One time in Toronto they were about to throw me back, but my chief pilot called and explained the situation. I've been threated like a criminal there a couple of times and never done anything wrong or illegal my whole life

I've visited 20-30 countries, Only Canada gives me problems.... sorry about your situation, just telling you what to expect
So what you're saying is that there is a "real bad dude" that's an identity twin to you(likely a "criminal" from your description) and only Canadian authority's pick up on that identity, on occasion.

Not a knock on you of course, but same name and same birthday is bad luck for you.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Left, then right, then left again

I'm flying with a guy that has a misdemeanor battery from the state of Florida and he was denied a Temporary Resident Permit to enter for work. He is currently trying to figure out what his options are now, I'll pass along any info I get from him.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: CRJ 900

If you have an arrest but no conviction just write the Canadian embassy and they will give you a letter that says you can come into the country. Just carry a copy of your FBI background check that shows your charges were dismissed and you will have no problems. This is what my friend does.