Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

The joys of flying cargo.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 04:11 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: C47 PIC/747-400 SIC

I don't know,like you my only reference to that is "Fate is the Hunter",but from 87-97 when I earned a living in 3's based in Michigan (lovely winters),the old girl got us through rime,clear,and mixed, she might groan,but she made it through. Our best tactic was avoidance,but if we had to fight we had boots for the wing,and tail,alcohol for the props,and windshield. great ship,just underpowered,especially single engine.by the way "Fate is the Hunter'was our bible,every lesson that Gann espoused still rang true. My battered copy has place of pride in my library. I fly a C47 at airshows now,and it sometimes boggles me that I earned my tay in this ship in the 90's,and that today in 2010 ,DC3s are in the forefront supplying aid to Haiti,the 3 is quite simply the best airplane ever built. God's gift to aviation.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:33 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

That is just flat impressive ice and that they made it. I've never seen ice do that to an airframe. I had a high-end moderate Mixed one time in a C310 from Muskegon to Midway over lake michigan once, and about the same scenario. I lucked out and in the descent it was warmer over chicago area and it all melted off before I was over land again. That stuff will scare you, and if it doesn't you need to be checked!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Apteryx

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by undflyboy06 View Post
Flying in the Northwest across the Cascades everyday is pretty interesting in the winter time.
Astonishingly enough, you can get a pretty elaborate decoration of ice in the right conditions, in sunny Southern California -- and lots of other places -- but there are a few areas famous for it. Across the Cascades in the NW U.S., going north from SLC, upstate NY, parts of the eastern and central US in the winter, going north from SEA along the Canadian coast at unpressurized-airplane altitudes.

Bottom line is that ice is a little like thunderstorms. You need to pay attention -- before blastoff, and in flight.