Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Air Ambulance

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 03:14 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2010

Originally Posted by fly4usd View Post
Howdy y'all

This thread is a good opportunity to say 'hi' and introduce myself.
I fly FW air ambulance for more than 10 years worldwide, so maybe I'll share my $.02:

EMS flying is no-nonsense, no-frill business. 90% of your flight time will be at night, in lousy weather (that's the time when they need you) and with plenty of the UN-expected:
  • I've had to load a 400lbs patient on a door because stretcher was bending too much and the hospital hadn't a strecher big enough. Well, we had to duct-tape this poor guy onto the door to load him;
  • some aircraft don't have a cargo door or a loading system for the sled (aka stretcher). So you need EVERY hands-on you can get at 3AM. Your cute flight paramedics ain't strong enough to get a 320lbs gozilla through the door and the mechanic locked away the key to the forklift.
  • You patient unexpectedly wakes up (because meds wearing off), gets up, knocks down the flight medics and tries to open the door because he needs to get back to his trailer (double-wide). He forgot getting his dog inside.
  • buy me a beer and I'll entertain you for the next 48 hours with stories
Most operator will fly 'single pilot' with 2 flight nurses/paramedics in King Airs (90 and/or 200). In average your pay is $100/flight-hour and $50/80 per diem if you are out-of-town. Most operators will offer a base salary (normally $1000/week with 10 hrs of flying), in a good month (spring break and summer-time with lots of drunks, over-dosed and freeway lunatics) you'll fly 60-80 hours/month. The rest of the year is about 20-40 hours/month.
You will be on call. You have 45 min to 1 hour to get to the aircraft AND get all horses out of the barn (flight plan, clearance, pre-flight, chocks, ...). Remember:
  1. you do this all by yourself!
  2. At night! (FBO (if any) is closed, Twr is clsd, ...)
You typical load will be: 1 patient, 2 nurses, eventually a passenger (parent, when flying kid as patient) and ~200 lbs of medical gear.

So, now let's talk airplane: Most FW air ambulance provider run 401, 421 and King Airs. Well it doesn't make your night to get the above mentioned payload into a 421. IT JUST DOESN'T FIT and if it does, your tires will go flat. You are on these flights under critical W&B!!

Oh, did I mention that it will rain (eventually snow) and the weather will be lousy the least. Your flight is around 1 hour to 2 hours, depending on the trauma center you'll go and arrangements have been made. Peer pressure is immense (have-to-go-syndrome) from ALL participants in this gig!

Well, I am sure most of you get the picture by now: It is not that glamorous as it looks on TV

Well, now a few lines to your qualification:

you need to be nuts!
you need extraordinary judgment (comes with being nuts)
+ 2000TT
+ 200 turbine (King Air)
ATP
first class
special training part 135 for air ambulance

Jet operation is pretty much similar (just higher and narrower)

Most of your TT and certificates is dictated by INSURANCE! Also, if your operator is 135 single-pilot, you can't log any SIC time as long as you have NON-crew-members on your flight. It's a complex topic and a thread by itself.

Well, actually I just wanted to introduce myself:
Hi - Cheerio
This is a pretty exaggerated example of air ambulance life. 90% at night just isn't the case, it's more than 50% during the day at the two companies I have worked for. You don't need to worry about "lousy" weather, if it's below minimums, you don't go. Being suckered into taking a flight because of peer pressure says nothing about the industry but speaks loudly of someone who doesn't have the ability to exercise the privileges of PIC. No one will ever make you go, it's your choice. King Airs are probably still the most common air ambulance airplanes I have seen but PC12's are getting more and more common and for good reason. Seriously, "your tires will go flat" and "critical weight and balance?" You sound like a news reporter who doesn't know much about what you're talking about and are just trying to over sensationalize. There's nothing critical about flying an aircraft near gross weight, you have performance charts and (I hope) experience, you know how the aircraft is going to perform. Aircraft are designed to fly at gross weight, it's a "normal" not "critical" operation. Both air ambulance operators I have worked for have been either 7 on 7 off with 12-14 hour shifts or 6 on 6 off with the same 12-14 hour shifts. We are typically expected to be airborne within 20-30 minutes from being called. [deleted]. From my experience (about 5 years in EMS) it is a much more professional operation than what [deleted] is leading you to believe. If you have any questions that you would like a realistic answer to, feel free to ask.

P.S. Contrary to popular belief, a good air ambulance pilot isn't worried about the patient in the back and he/she shouldn't be. Feel free to ask why.

Last edited by USMCFLYR; 03-19-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Insults deleted
Old 03-19-2010, 07:45 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2010
Position: Cpt. C90/B200, King Air Instructor, EMS and SLC pilot

Originally Posted by bagofhammers View Post
This is a pretty exaggerated example of air ambulance life. ...
Last edited by USMCFLYR : Today at 06:38 PM. Reason: Insults deleted
bagofhammers,

so, you disagree with my point of view? Well, that's cool. What's not so cool is your need to insult people with a different understanding!?
That gives us a deep insight in lack of professionalism we all need to work on as pilots.

Maybe I am able to give a small advice? Agree to disagree - and you'll keep your credibility as a pro.

I am sure most reader of this forum are adult enough to understand the entertaining undertone in my post. Maybe I need to clarify: It is 'hangar flying' from an old guy who has been around the block.

Happy tailwinds for you my friend

Last edited by fly4usd; 03-19-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: better wording
Old 03-19-2010, 08:33 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by fly4usd View Post
bagofhammers,

What's not so cool is your need to insult people with a different understanding!?
I've talked and flown with so many pilots with stories like yours. It gets old after awhile. You can call it hangar talk or whatever you want but it still sounds like a Clive Cussler book to me. Sorry if I insulted you but I'm just not impressed.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2009
Position: Fixed Wing & Both

And I'm not impressed either 'fly4usd'!
I have worked in Air Ambulance for 4 years and one thing I have to add or clear up is that YOU as a pilot should NEVER make the decision to go/no go based on the patients condition. As far as I'm concerned they are just chips and pop back there. You as a Pilot in Command should NEVER put 4 peoples lives on the line for the sake of ONE! THAT is being professional and treating our profession with the respect that it deserves.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:04 AM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by MTCowboy View Post
And I'm not impressed either 'fly4usd'!
I have worked in Air Ambulance for 4 years and one thing I have to add or clear up is that YOU as a pilot should NEVER make the decision to go/no go based on the patients condition. As far as I'm concerned they are just chips and pop back there. You as a Pilot in Command should NEVER put 4 peoples lives on the line for the sake of ONE! THAT is being professional and treating our profession with the respect that it deserves.
Well said MTCowboy. That is the reason my screen name is bagofhammers, that's how I view the patient in the back. No disrespect to them but as the PIC, it's none of my business how they are doing. I've got a healthy body up front (me), two perfectly healthy souls in the back (my med crew), and a very expensive, revenue producing machine flying all of us around. In my opinion, these are not missions we are flying, I think that implies something to be completed at all costs. If it's safe and legal, I will go and complete the flight, but let's make it clear, I don't work for the patient in the back and I don't own the multi million dollar airplane I'm flying. It's my goal to bring the crew and airplane back in as good or better condition than when I left.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:59 PM
In the dumpster fire

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Hey Fly4usd, can you share what company you fly for?

FYI, I have flown air ambulance (American Care Air) and what you say does indeed sound very suspicious. Not trying to insult you, but just coming into a forum and posting this type of misleading information behind an anonymous screen name is pretty lame.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: 777er driver

Great gig to work you build a lot of time fast.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dream Job

I've heard it's more of a retirement job. It's actually what I want to do as a career, but it's hard to get into since most places I know of have pilots that aren't going anywhere.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:50 AM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by 698jet View Post
Great gig to work you build a lot of time fast.
698jet is being sarcastic in case anyone didn't realize it. You definitely do NOT build time anywhere near fast. I would have to agree though it is a great gig. Some operations move bases around a lot making it impossible to live where you work unless you just rent and move every time they decide business has dried up where they're at. Try to find an operator that isn't in an area that is saturated with air ambulance operators. The whole state of AZ is pretty much saturated with air ambulance operators so there is a lot of competition and a lot of musical bases.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: 320 right side

You guys are funny! I have worked in the Air Ambulance field for 10 years now. There are so many different companies out there, you're probably all right in your own experiences. Their are the fly 24/7 gone all the time companies, and the ones that actually let you have a good quality of life. I work for one that gives us 5 on 5 off and you can respond from home. We fly Citation Ultras and King Air B2000's Every pilot flys both and we use 2 pilots for both. Our company is NOT a time builder, but gives you some great time at home with the family.
As for the 90% night flights.....That is NOT the case for our company. We do fly a lot at night, but we rotate the 12 hour shifts between day and night. (5 days, 5 off 5 nights, etc...) Still, I have more day time. We dont fly over to europe, so I am not qualified to comment on the 90% nights in that regard.

We DONT make decisions according to PT condition. We dont even know anything about PT. Its hard finding a good AA job, you pretty much have to know someone for the good companies, and there is little turnover. The companies that advertise a pilot position have turnover for a reason. (not going to go any further down that road)

All in all, I have had a great experience here....