Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Why we do what we do

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: ATP, CFII, MEI, Chief Flight Instructor, Charter Captain CE402, CE421, BE58
Default Why we do what we do

I haven't been doing this forever, but, I've realized I'm just a junkie. I love flying airplanes.Also it's the the one thing that I'm best at, and I'm the classic, jack of all trades master of none. That was true till I found flying. That fact alone has not and will not serve us well in our industry. Right now is a tough time for anybody in aviation or not. I'm feeling pretty burnt out by what is happening.. Maybe I'm rambling, but this is just sucking. I'm grateful I have a job, and this last week was pretty good. I still love flying and always will. I just can't help thinking we are all just suckers to our addiction to flying and love for airplanes. What do you think?
Old 03-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: JS32 FO

Sounds pretty fair. I can see myself in much of your description. Maybe I do have a problem.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Apteryx

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by papatango269 View Post
I haven't been doing this forever, but, I've realized I'm just a junkie. I love flying airplanes.Also it's the the one thing that I'm best at, and I'm the classic, jack of all trades master of none. That was true till I found flying. That fact alone has not and will not serve us well in our industry. Right now is a tough time for anybody in aviation or not. I'm feeling pretty burnt out by what is happening.. Maybe I'm rambling, but this is just sucking. I'm grateful I have a job, and this last week was pretty good. I still love flying and always will. I just can't help thinking we are all just suckers to our addiction to flying and love for airplanes. What do you think?
On one hand, aviation ain't what it used to be, when you went to work for an airline and retired there many years later with an excellent pension. On the other hand, there ARE still good, solid jobs if it's what you really like to do, and are willing to stick it out while you build enough experience to be competitive . . . he said after more than four decades at it.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Line Holder

Position: ATP, CFII, MEI, Chief Flight Instructor, Charter Captain CE402, CE421, BE58

I hear ya Oldog....it isn't what it used to be. I've got some pretty competitive experience and all that and still very active. I'm just feeling like, screw it, I need a regular paycheck. I don't know, right now nobody is hiring. We'll see what happens.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2009

Same here, I had to quit CFI'ing to take a full time job. Aircraft mechanic job and made much more money doing that too,,,till i got laid off from that job as well.....Ive just got hired at a major vehicle plant producing trucks, but I still want to fly on the side. Still love it. Maybe it'll pickup in a few years, who knows.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: 717 Sidekick

I may be biased because of my secure job at a good company who is hiring. I think we need to look outside the aviation industry though. We are not the only ones having a hard time right now. Do a google search for "industries losing the most jobs" and you will see that construction, telecommunications, and many others are worse off than we are. Also, before you think about leaving aviation, go spend a day in the office with someone who has a desk job. My friend talks to peolple about their insurance claims over the phone all day from a cubicle (sp?). Or my brother who romps through texas ranchland, in all kinds of weather, all day to survey telephone poles. No thanks.

It does depend on what you're looking for out of life. Everyone's different and if you want a 9-5 so you can spend time at home changing diapers and going to tee-ball then flying is probably not right. If you want to get paid to travel the country, then who wouldn't want to get paid to fly???
Old 03-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2010
Position: 737

it will get better in a few years
Old 03-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by TMoney View Post
I may be biased because of my secure job at a good company who is hiring. I think we need to look outside the aviation industry though. We are not the only ones having a hard time right now. Do a google search for "industries losing the most jobs" and you will see that construction, telecommunications, and many others are worse off than we are. Also, before you think about leaving aviation, go spend a day in the office with someone who has a desk job. My friend talks to peolple about their insurance claims over the phone all day from a cubicle (sp?). Or my brother who romps through texas ranchland, in all kinds of weather, all day to survey telephone poles. No thanks.

It does depend on what you're looking for out of life. Everyone's different and if you want a 9-5 so you can spend time at home changing diapers and going to tee-ball then flying is probably not right. If you want to get paid to travel the country, then who wouldn't want to get paid to fly???

I hear you TMoney, that's why I stated, in aviation or not, times are tough. I'm not crazy about working in a cubicle, and a lot of other jobs out there. I just need some security. I'm flying a ton right now, December thru Feb. were awful and in my current position I don't get paid if I don't fly. That's pretty difficult if you have a family. I'm not changing diapers anymore, my boys are a little bit older than that. I like being on the road, and spending time at home. ( actually my wife likes it that way too, she gets sick of me when I'm around all the time.) As far as what I want out of life, I want a good flying job, making an ok living and not having to worry about if I'm going to get to fly tomorrow and not get paid. Last week, I made more than I made all of Jan. and Feb. That doesn't pay the bills. I'm not thinking about leaving aviation all together. I just submitted to the Dark Side.....FAA. I know some guys in our area FSDOs and I'm just waiting to hear. It will be less flying, but, more security, better benefits, and I think it would be a challenge.

If I may ask, what company do you work for? Also in Aviation, is there really such a thing as a secure job?
Old 03-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by TMoney View Post

Well said. This is why after years of my early to mid 20's debating and agonizing about leaving my secure cubicle career that pays OK I still think about going for it. (No tee ball or SUV runs to soccer practice / super market runs for me, I do love dogs tho) I think my fears about my color vision (faa medical, I'm a borderline deficient/normal) were a blessing in disguise. If it wasn't for those fears, I would have left my secure job 2 to 3 years ago and I'd be really screwed right now. Instead, I watched a bunch of people get laid off all around the world, including in my very own office and I feel like I dodged a bullet. Well I do good work and they need me, so maybe not, but while this all sounds negative, there were positives to come out of it for me at least. I'll have my B.S. degree in IT in a year and a half, so I don't have to worry about that should I decide to go get my IFR/Comm/Multi/CFI, I almost have my debts paid off (aside from the school loan that hasn't started coming in yet, but thats college, not flight school). Maybe it is all about timing, and not making a rash decision and dropping everything to fly. I grew up a lot in the past few years, and I feel like I am much better at minimizing my risk. So who knows, in the future I may be in a cockpit and not miserable, because I made sure things were in the right place before going for it (4 yr degree that is a backup non aviation degree that actually equates to a job, debts in check, still a single guy with no kids (at least that I know of, lol) , better idea of the FAA regs for color vision standards which they actually being made more fair)

When I'm ready, the starting salary for a regional FO will be 45K per year and second year it goes up to 60. hahaha - ok I may be reaching... but either way at least I don't have to ***** myself out since I now have backup plans. The guy with the jeep (byris maybe?) gives great advice on these forums, and for that I am grateful. Sky, what do you think?

Oh and there is no secure job. My brother just got laid off from his telecom job which is supposedly a constant growth career. Take it for what it's worth - the entire world is feeling it.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: 717 Sidekick

If I may ask, what company do you work for? Also in Aviation, is there really such a thing as a secure job?
I'm at Ameriflight. I had some friends working there when I graduated in 06 (when everyone was hiring). Rather than heading to some regional, Ameriflight's opportunity to fly a bunch of different planes and at a bunch of different places around the country was very appealing. Not to mention the single pilot experience IFR would be way cool. It just sounded like fun flying compared to the regionals. It sure has been a great experience! You have opportunites here that you wouldn't anywhere else. I've traveled between 4 bases now, flowin in all kinds of weather (t-storms, icing, fog, snow, rain, extreme cold, wind, etc.), been an instructor and check airman in turbine equipment. Not many of my friends who went the regional route can say the same. Many of them have also been furloughed and/or are dealing with a lot less pay.

That being said, the 400 am wake up call 5 days a week gets pretty old and if you get outstationed in nebraska, bring a pencil to shove in your eyeball during the winter. Other than that, I highly recommend it. If anyone says otherwise, they're just jealous. PM if you have any other questions