Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Steer me in the right direction please

Old 07-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Default Steer me in the right direction please

Hi,

I'm a traffic watch pilot, possesing close to a 1000 TT, 175 ME time (unfortunately only about 4ME in the past 6 months , sic time pt. 91)

Was wondering if anyone knows of an outlet looking for first officers on any **JET** (i.e turbofan/turbojet not including t-props) , pay makes no diff as long as it's decent and not slavery (am aware of how much to expect, not looking for anything extravaganzic) and location makes no diff, am single and willing to relocate?

Any help is appreciated!

-Schone
Old 07-17-2006, 04:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Spartan

Is flying a turboprop beneath you?
Old 07-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: AA A320

Originally Posted by Slice
Is flying a turboprop beneath you?
Of course it is... he has 175 ME... it's jet time baby!
Old 07-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Nothing beneath me and am not claiming to be better than anyone else communicating on this forum, just am focused on what i'm looking for. I'm sure everybody's been through a point in life where they've been looking for someone to throw them a bone while having their goals set before them.

KiloAlpha: With obviously too much time in your hands, flying your turboprop, no wonder the posts we're seeing from you are of mockery towards other pilots on various threads. Maybe getting a jet job for myself, will make me a little bit busier than you are so I don't find myself doing the same thing you're doing to people who are marely asking questions.

Calling meaningful, serious replies please.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Left Seat

Originally Posted by schone
Nothing beneath me and am not claiming to be better than anyone else communicating on this forum, just am focused on what i'm looking for. I'm sure everybody's been through a point in life where they've been looking for someone to throw them a bone while having their goals set before them.

KiloAlpha: With obviously too much time in your hands, flying your turboprop, no wonder the posts we're seeing from you are of mockery towards other pilots on various threads. Maybe getting a jet job for myself, will make me a little bit busier than you are so I don't find myself doing the same thing you're doing to people who are marely asking questions.

Calling meaningful, serious replies please.
Please don't take offense when you insult someone elses equipment by being specific about not wanting in it.

I think the problem here is the question you had asked. With your 4 hrs of ME in the last 6 months you should have maybe asked for any job other than flying a 152 for traffic watch that has two engines and burns jet fuel. Obviously there seems to be some shiny jet syndrome here but we all go through it. Then we realize that the turboprop gets you turbine PIC long before the jet will, hence you can move on to a job flying BIGGER shiny jets with BIGGER engines and BIGGER paychecks quicker.

Hope that was meaningful and maybe even helpful.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

Well, here's my two cents. I got my first jet job by handing out resume's to local FBO's that handled alot of locally based jets. I got VERY lucky in that someone was looking for a warm body to fill the right seat. That gig was good for 1.5 yrs until the jet sold. Great job, great jet, low pay, very low pay. But that's what I got because I was way below industry standards on qualifications. Also the owner suffered in lost revenue due to me not meeting ARGUS standards.
STILL GROUNDED is right, eventually you'll have to start somewhere on building that coveted TURBINE PIC. You can try the regionals, because you do meet most of their minimums. However, if you decide that multi-pic and eventually turbine-pic is what you want then try the cargo route. I know the planes aren't pretty with glass cockpits, but it will be the type of flying to help hone your piloting skills.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: EMB 170/175 F.O.

Originally Posted by schone
Hi,

I'm a traffic watch pilot, possesing close to a 1000 TT, 175 ME time (unfortunately only about 4ME in the past 6 months , sic time pt. 91)

Was wondering if anyone knows of an outlet looking for first officers on any **JET** (i.e turbofan/turbojet not including t-props) , pay makes no diff as long as it's decent and not slavery (am aware of how much to expect, not looking for anything extravaganzic) and location makes no diff, am single and willing to relocate?

Any help is appreciated!

-Schone
This is mildly depressing. I'll give you some advice. Take the first job you get offered flying a twin, piston or otherwise. With 4 hrs of recent multi time, you can't afford to be picky. Besides, it is an insult to those of us who actually enjoy flying turboprops when someone with low time refuses to fly them.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: BE-99 Captain

yeah I agree. I think someone needs a reality check. not even enough time to fly 135 and a jet job, off course.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Just Plane Stupid

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Captain

Most Turboprops are more complex and demanding to fly then Straight jets of similar size...How they get certified single pilot I'll never know...
Old 07-19-2006, 04:47 AM
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

Try Mesa or GoJets. They seem to hire lots of folks with "I have my 1000 hrs- gimme gimme gimme" attitudes.

But whatever you do ditch the "I'm above flying that" attitude. I'd rather fly a smaller less complex plane (like a Caravan or a Citation) for good pay and a better quality of life than you could ever get flying a bigger aircraft (such as a regional jet, airliner, or Gulfstream.)

Last edited by FlyerJosh; 07-19-2006 at 04:50 AM.