Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

King Air time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Thrill Seat

I'm late to the party and wasn't going to comment but there seem to be some confusing statments. I agree the only way to log SIC time in a king air is with a 135 operator carrying passengers the regulations don't specify scheduled or unscheduled though. The regulations specify by the use of the Exemption for autopilot in Lieu of an SIC. If the 135 operator does not have this exemption (which there are a few that I can think of off the top of my head) then Legally a SIC is REQUIRED for the 135 legs thus an SIC can log SIC time!

THis goes for Single engine turbines as well operated under 135. See excerpt below:

Code of Federal Regulations

Sec. 135.101

Sec. 135.101

Part 135 OPERATING REQUIREMENTS: COMMUTER AND ON-DEMAND OPERATIONS AND RULES GOVERNING PERSONS ON BOARD SUCH AIRCRAFT
Subpart B--Flight Operations

Sec. 135.101

Second in command required under IFR.

Except as provided in Sec. 135.105, no person may operate an aircraft carrying passengers under IFR unless there is a second in command in the aircraft.

unless you have 135.105

Sec. 135.105

Exception to second in command requirement: Approval for use of autopilot system.

(a) Except as provided in Secs. 135.99 and 135.111, unless two pilots are required by this chapter for operations under VFR, a person may operate an aircraft without a second in command, if it is equipped with an operative approved autopilot system and the use of that system is authorized by appropriate operations specifications. No certificate holder may use any person, nor may any person serve, as a pilot in command under this section of an aircraft operated in a commuter operation as defined in part 119 of this chapter unless that person has at least 100 hours pilot in command flight time in the make and model of aircraft to be flown and has met all other applicable requirements of this part.
(b) The certificate holder may apply for an amendment of its operations specifications to authorize the use of an autopilot system in place of a second in command.
(c) The Administrator issues an amendment to the operations specifications authorizing the use of an autopilot system, in place of a second in command, if--
(1) The autopilot is capable of operating the aircraft controls to maintain flight and maneuver it about the three axes; and
(2) The certificate holder shows, to the satisfaction of the Administrator, that operations using the autopilot system can be conducted safely and in compliance with this part.
The amendment contains any conditions or limitations on the use of the autopilot system that the Administrator determines are needed in the interest of safety.

ANy further questions consult the regs... knowledge is power
Old 08-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: Sitting

Originally Posted by quinny89 View Post
what do ya think this post is all about?? LOL

I don't work for a freight company, or charter company, or FBO. I'm just trying to find out if there are ANY operators in NE Ohio that would let a guy sit right seat.

Guys, please don't ready any more into this than that. I'm a CFII/MEI, i'm quite aware of what hours i'm legally allowed to log and what i can't. The post started off with a simple question, didn't need it to go into all of this.

Thanks.
Hey Quinny,

Not sure if you've tried this or not but... try heading down to your local fbo's in and around your area to contact all your local 135 operators to see if they would be willing to hire you on either VFR or have you on an emergency contact list to sit right seat on two person 135 ops (PIC 91, or SIC 135) when they need someone in a pinch, otherwise network, network, network... or be willing to relocate.

Good luck!
Old 09-14-2010, 07:32 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: BE20 FO

I fly right seat in the King Air C90 and B200 for a part 135 op. I log PIC on the part 91 legs and SIC on the part 135 legs. I had to have an SIC checkride to be able to log SIC. High Performance and High Altitude endorsements for PIC.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by hanknix View Post
I fly right seat in the King Air C90 and B200 for a part 135 op. I log PIC on the part 91 legs and SIC on the part 135 legs. I had to have an SIC checkride to be able to log SIC. High Performance and High Altitude endorsements for PIC.
[technical hat]Actually, you didn't "need" those to log the PIC time. Only to act as PIC on those flights. But as sole manipulator of the flight controls in an aircraft for which you are rated (or have privileges), you can log that time as PIC without those endorsements. Actually, if you are the one doing the flying on the 135 legs, you log that as PIC, too.[/technical hat]

[practical hat]...but a good idea to knock them out.[/practical hat]

-mini
Old 11-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: June Bug SIC

Originally Posted by quinny89 View Post
Are there ANY King Air operators (or ANY turbojet aircraft operators) in the NE Ohio area that I could possibly get some right seat time in??

850TT 105ME CFII/MEI.

Nobody will even look at hiring you without time in type, but if you don't have access to a King Air or jet, how are you supposed to get time in type!! (without going to the regionals making $19k a year). Lovely catch 22 of this business!!

So PLEASE, anyone in this area, please respond!!
Don't let ANYONE tell you what you can't do. I was flying a King Air single-pilot before I had 1000 hours. I had plenty of detractors too, but I am an ambitious guy and enjoy proving people wrong. Set your sites high and work your butt off to get there. I think most people on here are jaded due to there bad luck/choices. Keep looking... there are King Air guys that will help you get some King Air time with your experience. I do it to for guys every chance I get.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:39 PM
2 days off

Joined APC: Jun 2009
Position: Embraer Systems Analyst

Originally Posted by JJOSH122 View Post
. I was flying a King Air single-pilot before I had 1000 hours. .
Why would anyone allow a less than 1000 hour pilot to fly their King Air? What was your circumstance?

Last edited by minimwage4; 11-11-2010 at 09:13 PM. Reason: content..
Old 11-12-2010, 05:18 AM
Respek

Originally Posted by minimwage4 View Post
Why would anyone allow a less than 1000 hour pilot to fly their King Air? What was your circumstance?
If all goes as planned I'm going to be flying a 441 with way less than a 1000 hours. Granted I'm not going to be single pilot, but I will still be flying regardless.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by Cruz5350 View Post
If all goes as planned I'm going to be flying a 441 with way less than a 1000 hours. Granted I'm not going to be single pilot, but I will still be flying regardless.
That is a great deal too! What are your circumstances that allow such a rare opportunity?

I'm thinking that minimumwage4 might be considering the insurance requirements when he asks who in their right mind who allow a fairly inexperienced pilot to fly a King Air - SINGLE PILOT!

You mention that you won't be flying the 441 single pilot, and maybe you don't have much experience at this time in that regime, but I'm pretty sure that you will see a BIG difference once you do delve into the complex aircraft, single pilot world.

Good luck Cruz and enjoy the experience!

USMCFLYR
Old 11-12-2010, 06:00 AM
Respek

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
That is a great deal too! What are your circumstances that allow such a rare opportunity?

I'm thinking that minimumwage4 might be considering the insurance requirements when he asks who in their right mind who allow a fairly inexperienced pilot to fly a King Air - SINGLE PILOT!

You mention that you won't be flying the 441 single pilot, and maybe you don't have much experience at this time in that regime, but I'm pretty sure that you will see a BIG difference once you do delve into the complex aircraft, single pilot world.

Good luck Cruz and enjoy the experience!

USMCFLYR
My circumstance is one of luck. I have less than 500TT, but my instructor was asked to do contract flying for an older gentleman who doesn't feel comfortable flying the plane by himself. (He is 80) The flights are all operated under PT.91 and we will share the workload with the other pilot. After spending 10 years at the regionals I'm hoping my instructor can run it like we are a crew and help teach me CRM in a much more complex aircraft. Should be fun and I'm not expecting much pay maybe at best 50 bucks a day, but it is something and if not its free multi hours in a nice airplane.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: June Bug SIC

Originally Posted by minimwage4 View Post

no one "allowed" me to. I allowed them the use of my highly-skilled services... for a small fortune of course =)