Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

135 doesn't Fatigue Like 121

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: 135 FO

I agree that these new flight time/rest/duty rules should apply to scheduled and on-demand 135 as well. The FAA has a 60-day comment period on this proposed rule change. Nothing is stopping us from submitting comments explaining the reasons why 135 should be included now. Doesn't mean it will happen, but maybe it will encourage the FAA to get 135 rules done a bit earlier and help make our jobs safer.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2008
Position: Aluminum tubing operator

Originally Posted by fly-efi View Post

If you work for a 135 company that requires you to be on call 24/7/365 then they are in violation of FAR 267 (f) which states:

"(f) The certificate holder must provide each flight crewmember at least 13 rest periods of at least 24 consecutive hours each in each calendar quarter".

This has to be scheduled as a day off in advance.
Our company is in compliance with this regulation. Actually, we get 5 hard days off per month (scheduled in advance,) so we get more time off than the regulation requires. I was referring to the "on-call 24/7" aspect of the job.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Walkeraviator View Post
Our FSDO has stuck its neck out. We used to be on 12 hour shifts of being on a pager... if the pager went off your duty time started. Which was good because if a call came in at 4pm (6-6 schedule), and was a 5-6 hour medical trip.. you still had 14 hours to git'r'done, instead of timing out in 4 hours.

Well a helicopter guy in our company (not liking that we got to sit at home on a pager while he sat at work) asked teh FAA for clarification. A letter was sent straight to our corporate gus that if we were on a pager... we were on duty... period. So at our company (partially thanks to the Union)... i get 7 days on and 7 hard days off... and at 6am... i have to be at teh base on duty...

So there are a few FSDOs out there already crackin down on teh pager thing....

(and this is a HUGE problem... we have to delay and turn down time critical medical missions because of pilots timing out... and we go out of service wuite often to allow crew rest...but i am glad i do work for a company that isnt willing to risk my ticket so they can make money...)
I would say yours is an isolated occurrence. Most FSDOs would have no idea what to do if the rules were to be applied correctly and consistently to passenger 135 charter.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Left

Yeah it will make our jobs alot safer because we wont have them, these rules will not work with on demand 135 period, I wish they would, but I dont see how my company could stay in business and I would rather be a little fatigued for a few more years then be trying to find a new job in this economy
Old 09-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Apteryx

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by TedStryker View Post
I agree - what a crock. NATA (the lobbying arm of the 135 industry) just came out with an announcement that they're "pleased" that on-demand 135 operations were not included in the rulemaking.

They claim they're still "committed to the need for a revision of the Part 135 crewmember regulations related to flight hours, duty periods and rest requirements." Yeah, right. As soon as the FAA comes out with anything for the 135 world they'll be screaming bloody murder about how it's too constricting or will cost too much.

The "you're on call 24/7/365" parade continues.
Actually, Part 135 flight-duty-rest was dealt with specifically and extensively by industry and FAA participants in the Part 125-135 Aviation Rulemaking Committee several years ago, and regulations based upon the committee's recommendations are slowly grinding their way through the FAA-DOT rulemaking process. A notice of proposed rulemaking addressing those matters will probably appear within the next year or two for public comment . . . and after the comments are evaluated and other hurdles in the rulemaking process are cleared, a change in the applicable regulations will probably follow in due course.

It's worth mentioning that the FAA and industry have been battling over the 135 flight-duty-rest issue for well over a decade, and the results of the 125-135 ARC are as close as they have ever come to agreement . . . although that is no guarantee the FAA will follow all of the committee's recommendations. . . .
Old 09-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Oldog View Post
Actually, Part 135 flight-duty-rest was dealt with specifically and extensively by industry and FAA participants in the Part 125-135 Aviation Rulemaking Committee several years ago, and regulations based upon the committee's recommendations are slowly grinding their way through the FAA-DOT rulemaking process. A notice of proposed rulemaking addressing those matters will probably appear within the next year or two for public comment . . . and after the comments are evaluated and other hurdles in the rulemaking process are cleared, a change in the applicable regulations will probably follow in due course.

It's worth mentioning that the FAA and industry have been battling over the 135 flight-duty-rest issue for well over a decade, and the results of the 125-135 ARC are as close as they have ever come to agreement . . . although that is no guarantee the FAA will follow all of the committee's recommendations. . . .
Oldog,

Let's be honest. On 9/11 when the Part 121 rulemaking was announced, NATA stated they "...[remain] committed to the need for a revision of the Part 135 crewmember regulations related to flight hours, duty periods and rest requirements."

ONLY 5 DAYS LATER, when Administrator Babbitt says something to the effect of "we're going to be coming up with a rule for 135 next..."

NATA comes out with another press release titled: "FAA Statement Within Part 121 Flight And Rest Rule Raises Concern For Part 135 Community."
Among other things, they whine and moan about "the agency's commitment to honoring the letter and spirit of rulemaking guidance that requires the FAA to consider the specific costs, benefits and regulatory alternatives that may be appropriate for different types of operators." (emphasis mine.)

Pilots become fatigued whether they are flying in 121 or 135 operations. NATA wants to argue that the need for "on-demand" operations should entitle them to some magical exemption from this blatant physical reality. They love to talk a good game as long as the gun isn't pointed at their head. However, when the attention turns to them all of a sudden they start whining about how much it's going to hurt Part 135 operators.

I have absolutely no confidence that any realistic proposal will see the light of day in light of this ongoing stonewalling from Part 135 operators and their lobbying mouthpiece.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt

The FAA ARC rules were in NPRM back in 2004????. They did the whole NPRM process, and then nothing happened. Heard that the FAA was too busy with the -91/-135 charter problems, and the -135 rules (and 135/121 Rest/Flight/Duty) were put on the back burner.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Line Holder

What does it matter if they change the rules? Judging by most of the comments on this website about 24/7 on call, we aren't following the rules now. So what will it matter if the rules change when no one follows the rules now. The FAA has been very clear that on call is not rest. So if you are violating the rules now, what do you care what they change them to. Will you suddenly become compliant?
Old 09-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009
Position: pilot

Originally Posted by skybob View Post
What does it matter if they change the rules? Judging by most of the comments on this website about 24/7 on call, we aren't following the rules now. So what will it matter if the rules change when no one follows the rules now. The FAA has been very clear that on call is not rest. So if you are violating the rules now, what do you care what they change them to. Will you suddenly become compliant?
skybob you broke the code.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by skybob View Post
Exactly. We'll still hear guys whining about how their company would go out of business if they enforced the rest regulations. You know what? Those companies should go under. If you can't afford to operate by the rules, then you just can't afford to operate.

Well said, bob.

-mini