Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

DUI / Part 135

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:56 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2010
Default DUI / Part 135

Someone told me that you couldnt fly PIC 135 with a DUI. I cannot find that rule anywhere. Anybody have any insight. The incident in question occured 23 years ago also.
Thanks,
Old 11-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: C402, on the side with the switches!

You certainly can. In fact, I know a guy that does.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

I as well know a guy sitting left seat on a Hawker 800
Old 11-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: Sr. VP of button pushing

Part 135 doesn't have a DUI rule. Part 67 (Medicals) covers it and yes, you can get a medical with a DUI. If the company flys into Canada a lot, they may not hire a pilot with a DUI because the Canadians may not let the pilot into their country.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2009
Position: First Officer

As with most things in aviation the insurance companies have more power than they should. This is no exception. The DUI/reckless driving question has been on every pilot history form that I have ever filled out. While there is no law concerning flying part 135 after a DUI, if the company can't insure you, it may prevent you from getting hired. In a tough job market like we have right now, it is one more hurdle to overcome.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: A-320 FO

Originally Posted by Catfsh View Post
Someone told me that you couldnt fly PIC 135 with a DUI. I cannot find that rule anywhere. Anybody have any insight. The incident in question occured 23 years ago also.
Thanks,
We all Love technology however sometimes it can hurt us. Databases are becoming easier to share between users, and this includes the FAA. The FAA
now has access to the Social Security Administration, The National Driver Register, and the Medical Information Bureau (MIB) in Boston. I would recommend running your info through the NDR, if it doesn't show up there,
I would think you would be okay.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by clipperskipper View Post
We all Love technology however sometimes it can hurt us. Databases are becoming easier to share between users, and this includes the FAA. The FAA
now has access to the Social Security Administration, The National Driver Register, and the Medical Information Bureau (MIB) in Boston. I would recommend running your info through the NDR, if it doesn't show up there,
I would think you would be okay.
This is bad information. Your DUI is not a problem in Canada after 23 years. You have to be careful with these sites. You can get a lot of crazy information sometimes.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2010

For more information, you just google it. Jeez. This is not hard stuff. I haven't taken the time to google it for you... but something like 5 years you can pay the money... then 10 years no money is required. But 23 years?? Please. Stop worrying about this.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: A-320 FO

Originally Posted by AKASHA View Post
This is bad information. Your DUI is not a problem in Canada after 23 years. You have to be careful with these sites. You can get a lot of crazy information sometimes.
Actually this information which I provided is very good:

With over 600,000 pilots holding FAA medical certificates, the aviation agency faces a "potential systemic problem," said DOT Inspector General Calvin Scovel, whose office reviewed the files of 40,000 pilots in 2005, as part of Operation Safe Pilot, finding that eight percent (3,200) were getting Social Security disability benefits, including those for medically disabling conditions. The IG investigation uncovered "egregious cases" of airmen lying about debilitating medical conditions on their applications for AMCs. As a result, 1000's of FAA medicals were revoked, and several pilots jailed.

It is something of a cliché that cover-up attempts are rarely successful, and that the consequences of a cover-up can sometimes be worse than those resulting from the original misdeed. Such is also the case in medical certifica*tion. Remember that your signature on the Form 8500-8 authorizes the FAA to search the National Driver’s Registry for violations involving alcohol or illegal drugs, which means that failing to disclose a conviction for driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI), or driving while intoxicated (DWI) will put you at risk for sanctions far worse than those associated with reporting such violations. In the event of an accident or incident, there is also the possibility that toxicology reports, e.g., blood and urine samples, will clearly testify to a condition that the pilot failed to report.

The FAA has only recently begun using the Medical Information Bureau in Boston
since recent several cases have come up as "suspect". This can only be performed
by a signed FAA form 8500-21 Authorization to release medical information.