Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

American Medflight

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: ERJ right
Default American Medflight

Based out of Reno. Anyone have any info?
Old 01-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2009
Position: First Officer

Anyone????
Old 01-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2008

I know they were hiring a while back, with a training contract. PM me I might be able to give you some info.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:13 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2009

Be aware! They charge for training. Up to $6500 for a Cheyenne. Pilots are paid on a daily basis. They're equipment is okay. Not the most reliable but just okay.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: ERJ right

Originally Posted by mach83 View Post
Be aware! They charge for training. Up to $6500 for a Cheyenne. Pilots are paid on a daily basis. They're equipment is okay. Not the most reliable but just okay.
They're pay for training or make you sign a contract?

Please don't say pay for training.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Just out of curiousity, is that the old Reno Flying Service plane N23MV?
Old 05-19-2015, 05:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2015
Default Bumped this thread....need more info

Live in northern NV and looking for a flying job to stay current for hopefully a Major gig. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about them?

I was poking around on some older forums via a google search and the jist seemed to be that they have very high turnover. Warning sign number 1. They push weather in older aircraft. Warning sign number 2. And you have to pay $5500 up front (to be paid back in increments over a 12 month period) or sign a 1 year contract so you don't leave for greener pastures after training. Maybe a warning sign.....given you are committed either way via $$$ or contract if you find out after training that it sucks and want to leave.

That seems like a lot of negative for a job.....$5500 would get me alot of approaches in a C-172 without the commitment.

I'd be willing to fork over the $5500 if I knew I would like the flying, schedule, and felt "safe" as possible. I can't afford to sign a 1 year contract due to possible major airline opportunities.

Any "Turnover" pilots from the past out there want to chime in??
Old 05-21-2015, 08:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: 747 Captain, retired

Originally Posted by MiLtoMajor123 View Post
Live in northern NV and looking for a flying job to stay current for hopefully a Major gig. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about them?

I was poking around on some older forums via a google search and the jist seemed to be that they have very high turnover. Warning sign number 1. They push weather in older aircraft. Warning sign number 2. And you have to pay $5500 up front (to be paid back in increments over a 12 month period) or sign a 1 year contract so you don't leave for greener pastures after training. Maybe a warning sign.....given you are committed either way via $$$ or contract if you find out after training that it sucks and want to leave.

That seems like a lot of negative for a job.....$5500 would get me alot of approaches in a C-172 without the commitment.

I'd be willing to fork over the $5500 if I knew I would like the flying, schedule, and felt "safe" as possible. I can't afford to sign a 1 year contract due to possible major airline opportunities.

I worked for Amerflight for 9 years in the 70's and 80's. It's a different company now but I can tell you back then that it was either zero dark thirty departures or all night flying. Equipment was maintained because the company had to maintain an excellent reliability record for on-time performance. They didn't have "problem children" because they fired them at the drop of a hat. If you showed up, were reliable and could pass the check rides, your job was secure. I learned more about flying IFR at AMFLIGHT because, and let me quote the sage of anything aviation - J. Hazlet "Ameriflight is like a self-cleaning oven" "if you don't know what you are doing it will eat your lunch". Mr. Hazlet worked hard to bring Amerflight's flight operations into a well-run machine after the FAA shut it down briefly. He deserves a lot of credit. I guarantee that after a year at Ameriflight, you will be on top of your IFR Game. Back in the old days, they played fast and loose with duty-times and pushing the regs then the FAA shut them down. They re-started the operation about a week later and it was a different Ameriflight. They played by the book dotting their i's and crossing their t's.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009

Originally Posted by krudawg View Post
I worked for Amerflight for 9 years in the 70's and 80's. It's a different company now but I can tell you back then that it was either zero dark thirty departures or all night flying. Equipment was maintained because the company had to maintain an excellent reliability record for on-time performance. They didn't have "problem children" because they fired them at the drop of a hat. If you showed up, were reliable and could pass the check rides, your job was secure. I learned more about flying IFR at AMFLIGHT because, and let me quote the sage of anything aviation - J. Hazlet "Ameriflight is like a self-cleaning oven" "if you don't know what you are doing it will eat your lunch". Mr. Hazlet worked hard to bring Amerflight's flight operations into a well-run machine after the FAA shut it down briefly. He deserves a lot of credit. I guarantee that after a year at Ameriflight, you will be on top of your IFR Game. Back in the old days, they played fast and loose with duty-times and pushing the regs then the FAA shut them down. They re-started the operation about a week later and it was a different Ameriflight. They played by the book dotting their i's and crossing their t's.
Wait, you're writing about Ameriflight the 135 cargo op, correct? The OP wanted info on AMERICAN MEDFLIGHT out of RNO...
Old 05-21-2015, 11:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Exclamation Bad Idea... Stay away! Other jobs in RNO...

Originally Posted by MiLtoMajor123 View Post

Hey Mil,

Going to American MedFlight would be a bad idea, IMHO.

First off, they want you to PAY for your job! Yes, that's right, Pay for your job.... Every YEAR! They are completely out of touch with the current market and pilot shortage, and are still living in the pay-for-training/job 1990's.

Secondly, they fly old, high-time Cheyenes in the very challenging and mountainous NV area, concocting approaches to VFR only airports at night. I don't know if that is by pilot choice, or through pressure, but I would assume the latter. Google Lone Pine airport, and with cloud bases of around 2000 ft. AGL, somehow trying to get in there at night. They do that..

AMF, not Ameriflight, is a twilight job that pilots who live in Reno go to retire, and put up with the above assertions because they have to or enjoy being at home every night. That is one benefit to that job. And there are some nice guys flying there, so nothing against them.

If you are Military, I would guess that you have already networked and are in a squadron pipeline to various Majors and Fractionals. I think that the pay, QOL, equipment, pay-for job, working conditions, would come as a shock to a pilot who has served their Country honorably in the Military. I would hold out for a Major or Fractional job, before paying to work at AMF. Are you in Fallon?

Finally, I know of a flying job in Northern NV that is currently unfilled, with higher pay, better schedule, and for an infinitely better company. They are growing and, best of all, won't make you pay annually for your job.

PM me if you are interested.