Any Ideas for Single Pilot Owner/Operator

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Any Ideas for Single Pilot Owner/Operator

Old 08-29-2006, 06:40 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Default Any Ideas for Single Pilot Owner/Operator

I am 24 years old right now and someday dream of owning my own buisness. I would eventually like to do it all. Maintanence, Charter, Instruction, Everything. My question is as far a 135 goes, what would be the simplist way to get in. Would transporting people, or transporting cargo be better. I admit I am very young and don't know enough about the industry, but have big dreams and ideas. I was just wondering what areas you would get into.

Thanks,
The Juggernaut
Old 08-30-2006, 04:57 AM
Just Plane Stupid

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Captain

Start with a business plan...After you get your plan in order file a letter of intent with the FAA...This will start the process of certification for the 135. Depending on the equipment you intend to operate will determine what certification requirements you need to comply with...i.e. Pilot training, manuals, and maintenance. You also need to figure out where you want to fly so your Ops Specs with allow you to fly in those areas...If you intend to fly International you will need special insurance in some of the International Countries you intend to operate. Plus opening an "off shore" bank account can help you get over flight permits for countries not "in favor" of US policies...Good Luck and enjoy the ride..
Old 08-30-2006, 09:50 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2006

I would imagine that overnight freight would be the easiest way to get started and build from there. Does anyone have any experience in a small one or two man start ups. It is a very exciting prospect to get to make a living flying airplanes and being your own boss. HAHA...I don't know, maybe I'm just a crazy kid with unrealistic dreams. Only time will tell.