Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Am I 135 material? (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/57059-am-i-135-material.html)

VTcharter 04-23-2011 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by elssaw (Post 984370)
Stay out of the 135 world at all costs. 91 until u can get on with 121. 135 regs are archaic if not non-existent. Duty regs are absurd, on call 24/7 is the norm. 13 days off per quarter is the FAR minimum and most operators are only giving you the 13 per QUARTER (about 3-4 per month).

You think 135 regs are non existent?! Get on with an unfriendly 91 operation and see what your duty days / schedule look like then!

I wouldn't pay much attention to these comments. Not all Part 135 is like this. If you want to go 135, do your research first and work for a reputable operation who values their employees enough to not treat them as above. This advice stands for any operation you go to, whether it be 91, 121, or 135. There are bad operators in all of them.

DassaultFalcon 04-24-2011 06:50 PM

Cherry air out of KADS is looking for a FO.

satpak77 04-24-2011 07:25 PM

stay in school. don't even enter professional aviation.

Walkeraviator 04-24-2011 08:34 PM

135 mins doesnt get you far in this economy. I have more than the mins and havent got a single call from any of the cargo operators that say they hire at the mins. Its hard to compete with guys that have 3000 hours who are applying for the same night cargo jobs that we are.

FlaZoomie 04-25-2011 12:02 AM

Welcome to the "world of 135"

I concur with several of the comments, keep doing your homework and research.

There are good and bad 135 operations out there, just like there are good and bad restaurants, grocery stores, sneakers, lawn movers, etc....

elssaw 04-25-2011 02:49 PM

Not to be argumentative, but if u find yourself working at a bad restaurant, grocery store, or wearing bad sneakers, etc then it's not likely to result in a violation or worse.

Caveat emptor . . .

Ziggy 04-25-2011 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by elssaw (Post 985429)
Not to be argumentative, but if u find yourself working at a bad restaurant, grocery store, or wearing bad sneakers, etc then it's not likely to result in a violation or worse.

Caveat emptor . . .

This is why I believe 135/91 produces some of the strongest pilots in the industry. We have to be reliant on ourselves, and stand up to what we know is right, or legal. Sure there are good pilots who came up through 121, but they just have to point to a clause in a manuel for their go/no go decision.

Climbto450 04-25-2011 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by elssaw (Post 984370)
Stay out of the 135 world at all costs. 91 until u can get on with 121. 135 regs are archaic if not non-existent. Duty regs are absurd, on call 24/7 is the norm. 13 days off per quarter is the FAR minimum and most operators are only giving you the 13 per QUARTER (about 3-4 per month).

I agree. Also beware of all the 134 1/2 ops out there post scheduling far days off and making flight logs work. Avoid 135 if you can other then a few operators (some top tier on demand charter companies are great!!) but the rest keep trying to reinvent the wheel and it keeps coming out with edges.

On the other hand I agree with Ziggy. 135 guys do it all with no dispatcher, no great union contracts, no legislation coming down the pipe to reduce our duty time. Just self reliance to get the job done safely and effeciently.

IdahoFlyer 05-10-2011 12:54 PM

Wow, so much negativity towards 135. Granted, much of it is understandable. I work for a small 135 outfit and I am on call 24/7 with 6 guaranteed days off per month. I have been called out in middle of the night only 2 times in the year I've been with the company and I typically only fly 1 maybe 2 day trips per week. I am also in school, but switched to online classes to afford me the flexibility my company requires. I have a wife and 3 kids i get to spend lots of time with, and my QOL is great...other than the fact that I get paid crap (40k). So, don't drop out of school, don't give up on flying (unless you're thin skinned), and get to know people within companies who can give you the lowdown on how the company works.
I got hired into turbo props with a single pilot 135 outfit last year with 2000 TT and 67 Multi and no ATP. I'd say that is definitely more the exception than the rule, but it's because I worked the airport and got to know people. Get out there, make contacts and educate yourself on your best possibilities and convince companies that the need you. Aviation is a tough profession and the more you understand that the easier the aviation life will be for you. Have fun!

sddo 05-10-2011 01:35 PM

I disagree and find 135 quite a good way to make a living. I have normally worked a 5 day week with weekends off and now work an 8 and 4 schedule. Many operators work week on /week off schedules or two week on one week off. The regs are easy for anyone to understand and if you go with a good company pay and security are better than many 91 jobs or 121 jobs. THe primary determination on how good the job is depends on the operator. Many 121 jobs have low starting pay, slow promotion and little security there are 135 and part 91 jobs with the same issues.