Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Part 135
Brokers-Scum of the Earth or necessary evil? >

Brokers-Scum of the Earth or necessary evil?

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Brokers-Scum of the Earth or necessary evil?

Old 03-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: PA-31/left, LJ31/right

They are both. Everytime I think of a Broker calling, I think it's more than likely some dude, sitting in his basment eating a 3 day old Dominoes pizza playing World of Warcraft. The get a deal cut simply because they are a middle man, and charge a premium for making a few phone calls.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007

They hire anyone to do 135 charter brokerage, and yes high turn-over...it's like dealing with regional flight attendants.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:56 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Don't ever feel trapped or think you are a slave to the salary! Contract piloting is some of the best there is. You don't have to worry about asking for vacation, missing important dates, or anything like that. The pay may not be the same from month to month, but at least you rule your schedule. I will take a slight cut in pay to be with my family and friends during the important times.

Also, most employers will be happy to make you contract if it cuts down on the overhead cost of benefits. They still have to treat you like an employee in the eyes of the FAA, but you don't deal with the office politics and having trips crammed down your throat on the day your kid's birthday.

Just my opinion, but you can find far better benefits on your own nowadays. Most employers are taking the easy road and cutting their benefits to the bare bone.