Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Am I 135 material?

Old 02-17-2011, 04:51 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2011
Default Am I 135 material?

I hold a Commercial AMEL, ASEL, Instrument Airplane with CFI, CFII, and MEI certificates. Does anyone know of any 135 openings in the DFW metroplex area? Are any of them hiring guys with only 1200 hours TT and 50 in a multi?

To further complicate things, I am a college student at the University of North Texas with afternoon classes Tuesday through Thursday. It might be impossible, but I am looking for a flying position that fits around my school schedule?
Old 02-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006

Originally Posted by Jet7 View Post
I hold a Commercial AMEL, ASEL, Instrument Airplane with CFI, CFII, and MEI certificates. Does anyone know of any 135 openings in the DFW metroplex area? Are any of them hiring guys with only 1200 hours TT and 50 in a multi?

To further complicate things, I am a college student at the University of North Texas with afternoon classes Tuesday through Thursday. It might be impossible, but I am looking for a flying position that fits around my school schedule?

I know that your post didn't mention doing so, and I'm not one to give advice EXCEPT for this: For God's sake, don't drop out of college to take a job that you think you want. I did it 14 years ago and I've regretted it for the last ten years...and I'm still trying to figure out a way to finish my degree.

Good luck to you.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: A-320 FO

but I am looking for a flying position that fits around my school schedule? 135 on demand, you are not serious are you?
Old 02-19-2011, 01:52 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2011

There may be operators looking for weekend fill in positions. Your best luck may be with a part 91 operator, a company with a small flight department that may want a second pilot on an aircraft even though it is not required, such as a Pilatus or King Air. 135 operators require pilots that have gone through their training program and may not want to pay for all of the training for a guy who can not go out on a multi-day trip unless it ends on Monday or starts after Thursday. I am not far from you and my last ad for a pilot position had over 600 responses from pilots with over 3000 hours and considerable twin turbine time. Many had flight safety or simuflite training and current 135 check rides in the equipment I was advertising for and many were in Texas with quite a few from the Dallas area. Keep building flight time anyway you can. Turbine time and multi is most useful, but total time is the first number looked at. Don't shy away from instructing. I love hiring flight instructors. The are usually a cut above those who build time flying along with other pilots and I do hire low time guys as FO's; however, it is low pay and a rough schedule, but the opportunity exists to move up to a fair paying job when the time requirements are met and a position opens up.

Stay in school and get that completed first. Build flight time when and where you can.

Good luck
Old 02-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: King Air 200 Left

I wholly agree with SDDO! Stay in school finish the degree, flight instruct in your free time, grab right seat experience when you can. By the time the degree is finished, you'll either be ready for a 135 operator or the regionals.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:27 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2010

Originally Posted by sqwkvfr View Post
For God's sake, don't drop out of college to take a job that you think you want.
Agreed. If you can't find a job which is flexible with your school schedule (there are not many), keep instructing on the side until you graduate.

Does your school offer online only classes? This would probably be the only way to do both. If you can do online classes, you might try Amflight, they have a base in DFW. They just hired and have a class of about 23 going through training right now.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2009
Position: 757 right seat

I'd flight instruct until graduation, then get a 135 or 121 job.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: PT Inbound

Unfortunately, with pickings as slim as they are these days, you are in an even tighter position if you have schedule issues AND are unwilling/unable to relocate. My advice is the same as the other, keep instructing in the spare time and weekends until you graduate. In the time it takes to get your degree, you will only be more experienced, have more hours under your belt, and more marketable for a pilot gig.

Good Luck!

PS.
Originally Posted by TI 3VOM View Post
f you can do online classes, you might try Amflight, they have a base in DFW. They just hired and have a class of about 23 going through training right now.
Ameriflight's DFW base is an all turbine base. AMF's new hires (less special circumstances) start in the PA31 and usually in OAK or PDX.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: 121 Right Seat
Default 135 is not the way to go

Stay out of the 135 world at all costs. 91 until u can get on with 121. 135 regs are archaic if not non-existent. Duty regs are absurd, on call 24/7 is the norm. 13 days off per quarter is the FAR minimum and most operators are only giving you the 13 per QUARTER (about 3-4 per month).
Old 04-23-2011, 04:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2011

I just saw an opening at GTA out of ADS a few days ago that only wanted 135 mins. Martinaire, also out of ADS, only wants 135 mins. Both are fly-by-night cargo ops, you could probably get on either of those if you looked around.

Avoid DTO like the plague in my opinion, couple bad controllers (yes, couple good ones too), and enough students not making radio calls to give your TCAS a good workout.