Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Next Step After Training (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/57958-next-step-after-training.html)

edavis 03-18-2011 10:42 PM

Next Step After Training

What are the names of some entry level low time corporate jobs? Or what I'm trying to ask is entry level jobs that will help you get into corporate besides networking? Like charter, cargo, etc.. What is best after flight instructing if I dont want to go the airline route? I'm about to attend Aviator college for their program. After doing my tour, it seems like KFPR will be hard to network over there. There isn't much air traffic to any networking.

AbortAbortAbort 03-19-2011 11:26 AM

If you don't get lucky and meet someone while instructing (longer x/c's with students to larger airports where you hang out in the FBO for a bit would help), you'll probably need to shoot for 135 minimums and pick up a 135 entry level job (fly by night cargo, etc).

Just had a recent topic on here with this pretty much same thing...some people get lucky, but you need to focus on making yourself as marketable as possible.

Make a good resume and business cards one you get farther along. Plus you're just about to start training...so none of us have the slightest clue how the market will be when you get out, we could have regionals snapping up 250/10 guys again, or furloughs will be happening left and right.

Scooter2525 03-20-2011 01:39 PM

Cargo is a good way to go. Many guys go from flying freight to a charter gig they networked into. Flying freight is a good way to make friends who might know somewhere thats hiring, or find something on a field thats up your alley.

Cubdriver 03-20-2011 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by edavis (Post 966861)
What are the names of some entry level low time corporate jobs? Or what I'm trying to ask is entry level jobs that will help you get into corporate besides networking? Like charter, cargo, etc.. What is best after flight instructing if I dont want to go the airline route? I'm about to attend Aviator college for their program. After doing my tour, it seems like KFPR will be hard to network over there. There isn't much air traffic to any networking.

Everyone wants ripe fruit to fall from the sky and save them from the endless uphill climb to a good job in corporate aviation. They dream of a job that not only pays the bills on a condo, it allows buying cars, college, and salts away for retirement. Maybe even pays for a boat and a motor home. The problem is, what do you do for the 10+ years you are around waiting for that wonderful job to arrive? Almost every civilian pilot follows a standard path composed of a mixture of things like flight instruction, aerial mapping, pipeline patrol, Part 135, banner tow, ferrying, traffic reporting, skydiver flying, pumping jet A, waxing airplanes, sightseeing tours, FBO front desk, and similar unglamorous jobs.

Of those I have done aerial mapping, flight instruction, banner tow, ferries, pumping Jet A, skydiver flying, Part 135 and 91 corporate flying, and a few things related to aircraft engineering since I have the appropriate degree. Serious fruit has never fallen after ten years of doing all this and seems about as far away as it ever has been. On the other hand, I do not have much else to do and I love airplanes. Newbies always think in terms of getting just one month past their next flight certificate and the gravy corporate jobs are just somehow going to happen at that point. That almost never happens, it is the exception and not the rule. You would be much smarter to plan for the long-haul. Asking questions like you are is the best way to understand the process. but it would be foolish to think you are going to doing anything very spectacular like flying a Gulfstream for a large corporation in less than about 10 years of doing a lot of rather less exciting things.