Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight etc vs. 121 world (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/5803-ameriflight-etc-vs-121-world.html)

Ziggy 09-11-2006 02:18 PM

I can't imagine why people are so weary about flying single pilot. If you remember and stick to the basics you'll do fine. Sure you have to stay on top of all the prep work before the flight, but you should be doing that regardless of flying dual crew or single pilot.

freightdog 09-12-2006 03:58 PM

AMF vs. 121

You said it Ziggy, that pretty much sums it up.

belliott 09-12-2006 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by freightdog (Post 59466)
Schone,

If you have close to 1200 hours TT and around 100 hours multi and you qualify for the Part 135 mins then you are eligible for a captain position on the Chieftain. In about 6 months you will have acquired enough time to upgrade to the BE99. As a captain on the PA31 you will upgrade as CAPTAIN on the BE99. You don't have to deal with sitting in the right seat (only during trasition and IOE training do you sit in the right seat). AMF does have a commercial FO program where pilots come and "pay to play" and they pay for right seat time in the 99, but for the the most part you are
single pilot. The 99, Metro, and 1900 are all flown single pilot IFR. Except when you have a commercial FO in the 99.
Getting an BUR base is not that hard, AMF always needs pilots. Plus if you don't already live in LA then most people don't want to move due to cost of living.
If you upgrade to the 99 there is a 6 month commitment, and if you upgrade to the Metro, 1900, or as an FO or CA on the Brasilia then it is a 1 year comitment. Most pilots sort of make the decision after the commitment in the 99 whether or not to stay. The pilots that I know have stayed and upgraded to the Metro or the 1900 because those are over 12,500 lb aircraft. The 99 is not. So some pilots want that 12,500 experience. However, you are right in about 1 year in the 99 you can get 1000 PIC TURBINE, it may take longer than a year, but it is better than sitting right seat at a regional for 5-7 years before even getting a taste of the left seat.

freightdog...
you mentioned that AMF has a "pay for play" program in their 99. Do they hire out of that pool of pilots at any point? Possibly at reduced mins.? Or does the 1200 TT and 100 Multi. still hold true for hiring mins.?

lpcunity 09-12-2006 07:34 PM

I flew the 99 for Alpine Air as PIC for around 1500 hrs and now I got hired by NetJets. I'm not sure and I doubt that, that PIC time is competitive vs 121 RJ people. The Facs seem to honor it but its not one of thier mins. I have apps at majors but like I said I dont think it looks as good as PIC 121. But its all who you know. The 99 is a fun and reliable bird and 135 night cargo puts hair on your chest. Not to mention the pay cant be beat. At Alpine last year I made around 55K with no uniform and not shaving.

captainprop 09-13-2006 08:50 AM

I flew the 1900 for AMF and loved every minute of it!! Lots of young people and a nice atmosphere (at least when I was there, was quite a few years ago) As stated by others you fly five night a week and have weekends off and you build good experience fast! The job with AMF took me to where I am today, just about to get a bus command.....
Good luck!
/CP

freightdog 09-14-2006 07:43 AM

pay to play @ AMF

belliott,

AMF does have a pretty good "pay to play" for the 99 and it is actually pretty cheap when it comes to per flight hour. Let's say you fly as SIC in the 99 for a certain period of time. When you reach 1200 TT and 100 multi, or more, sometimes less. You can put in an application for a captain position. Depending on time, you might go as a captain on the chieftain, but the way that upgrades have been happening, you can expect to stay in the chieftain for about 6 months, then you will recieve a 99 upgrade as a captain. Then you will get to have your own FO. Pay is nothing great, but if you stay until the Metro/1900 or senior on the 99, you can make some descent money. For the most part there are a lot of young people working and flying for AMF that enjoy being there and enjoy the flying. Some of the flying will definately make you grow a pair. Best of luck, PM me if you would like more details.

MWright 09-15-2006 11:10 AM

Can you give me info on the right seat program at AMF? Thanks.

Anyone know of any other right seat programs? I've got 820TT/40Multi looking for a job. Any ideas?

freezingflyboy 09-15-2006 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by MWright (Post 61036)
Can you give me info on the right seat program at AMF? Thanks.

Anyone know of any other right seat programs? I've got 820TT/40Multi looking for a job. Any ideas?

Yeah, get your CFI or better yet, an MEI. Lots of right seat time. Very respected. Make your own schedule. Safer. Easy to find a job (especially with that MEI in your pocket).

McAyr 09-15-2006 11:30 PM

call sign AMFLIGHT

I worked at AMF from Oct. 2000 until Jan. 06 and piloted C402, BE99, Metro's, and the Brasilia all as captain. In that time I went from 1200 hours to the low 6000's. It was hard work with long hours in demanding conditions. In a lot of cases you are the stand alone source in executing a safe flight in all sorts of conditions. You will learn to fly weather aggressively and stay sharp in all your planning and operational skills (think Fate is the Hunter here). That is the PIC experience we want on our resume and the backbone to a resume that demonstrates confidence in your abilities to future employers. That is good.

What is not so good is 12-14 hour days spread over six days a week in aging aircraft. They maintain their aircraft to a higher standard than I have seen at other 135 operators. AMF has been in business for over 37 years, so they know how to perform in this type of environment. So what is wrong with that? The technology and advanced CRM practices common to 121 operators with newer aircraft are necessary tools you need today. These are critical pieces of knowledge for pilots beyond the "single-pilot ILS to minimums". Modern gold-standard practices are very important on your resume too. It was hard to convince prospective employers I could do those things as well our better than those with 121 PIC or FO regional jet or larger transport credentials. You can do it but it is an frustrating uphill battle, even with 4000+ PIC turbine.

As for the schedule you want...AMF's TDY temporary duty schedule is three weeks on, one week off. They will ask for more, so be prepared to stay out for six weeks.

My advice...jets with glass will take your career further, faster and have more perks. You may want to consider a Fractional as experience allows.

Good Luck

JustAMushroom 09-26-2006 01:18 PM

" only one accident can I think of was due to a mechanical failure. All the rest have been pilot error."

Are you kidding?????????? This is GOOD??????

I flew freight..then 135 people charter/shuttle, then 91 corp..now 121 Capt. I can honestly tell you there is more to life than "racking up turbine PIC"

Keeping your certificate safe is just as important as building time.