Ameriflight etc vs. 121 world

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight etc vs. 121 world

Old 05-11-2015, 11:31 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2015
Default Don't Apply Ameriflight

DONT APPLY!!! If you already have 1200 hours just wait 300 more and go to a regional for a Jet. Please take 5 minutes and read my bad experience with this Airline. Phone interview and class date. They will promess you a Crew base but it's not guarantee. 1st week of indoc normal with $9 hr. Salary. 2nd week Systems just 3 days. This week you will only get paid 3 days if you don't do anything else. 3rd week is the bad part. They have an almost 20 yr. Old Frasca Sim yes a Frasca that was broken for 1 week. The sim is a piece of crap. Super bad and is so old that the yoke gets stuck almost all the time. The bad part is that they expect you to fly almost perfect. Maintain Level, Altitude, Attitude, fly SID, enroute, Arrival, Emergencies, checklist and the flows that are extremely long. Again you will only get paid for the time on sim. If you are 2 Hrs. Thats what you get paid. Frasca is 2 weeks long and you will be paid around $220 for 2 weeks. If you get done (lucky). This training is insane, they make the training so hard, Astronaut type just to fly a Chieftain or BE99. They fly old school like 1970 navigation type. No GPS and Insane procedures out of date. You now go for the plane. Again $9hr. Salary you have to be 2 weeks flying cargo in a super old ugly plane for around $25 a day. Some instructors are lazy so you need to fly offline(no cargo) for complete training but they don't want to do it. Finishing the 2nd week they will start your offline but if the plane broke or weather arrives you need to wait for a new instructor for start offline training. Again if you don't fly you don't get paid. Also you need to load and unload cargo from the plane(around 1500 lbs. A day). When you pass your check ride you will start in the line with the normal salary. But remember showtime is at 6AM in the 90% of bases and you will be done at 8PM normally. You will only fly 2 to 4 hrs. A day. The rest of the day you will be stuck outstation somewhere. Don't risk your PRIA Record with this old planes and old airline from my class of 13 guys only 6 pass everything. There's no autopilot and only 10% of the aircraft have GPS flying Busy IFR Departures and Busy Arrivals from big airports. Easy to get a Violation. Just wait more and fly a Jet with Professional Equipment. Your choice
Old 05-11-2015, 12:24 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Um, did you not read the multitude of threads on Ameriflight's schedules and their training procedures before you went there? The chieftain sim is a bit finicky, as are most sims of that level. If fly like an astronaut means fly to basic ATP standards as you should be able to do with IFR Part 135 minimums, then, uh, fly like an astronaut. Old school navigation? You mean VOR's and DME that everybody still uses today? Extremely long flows? In a chieftain? AMF might not be your gig, then. I'm guessing this was your first job after instructing in a G1000 equipped 172?
Old 05-11-2015, 12:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2015
Position: E-175

My longest flow has been 30+ individual items to check/set. Are there even 30 movable items in a chieftan? Haha.

Dont get me wrong, i think that pay and training is 3rd world country like, but come on. Its a piston twin. One of the least complicated aircraft you will fly.... Oh, and every jet/tprop iv flown from the PC12, B350 and CJ series, up to the the regional jets all use VOR/DME's. Oddly enough, part 91 has all the cool gadgets. Airlines? Its all about the $$$. Fancy equipment costs alot
Old 05-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2012
Default Ameriflight etc vs. 121 world

Originally Posted by johnifrpilot View Post
DONT APPLY!!! If you already have 1200 hours just wait 300 more and go to a regional for a Jet. Please take 5 minutes and read my bad experience with this Airline. Phone interview and class date. They will promess you a Crew base but it's not guarantee. 1st week of indoc normal with $9 hr. Salary. 2nd week Systems just 3 days. This week you will only get paid 3 days if you don't do anything else. 3rd week is the bad part. They have an almost 20 yr. Old Frasca Sim yes a Frasca that was broken for 1 week. The sim is a piece of crap. Super bad and is so old that the yoke gets stuck almost all the time. The bad part is that they expect you to fly almost perfect. Maintain Level, Altitude, Attitude, fly SID, enroute, Arrival, Emergencies, checklist and the flows that are extremely long. Again you will only get paid for the time on sim. If you are 2 Hrs. Thats what you get paid. Frasca is 2 weeks long and you will be paid around $220 for 2 weeks. If you get done (lucky). This training is insane, they make the training so hard, Astronaut type just to fly a Chieftain or BE99. They fly old school like 1970 navigation type. No GPS and Insane procedures out of date. You now go for the plane. Again $9hr. Salary you have to be 2 weeks flying cargo in a super old ugly plane for around $25 a day. Some instructors are lazy so you need to fly offline(no cargo) for complete training but they don't want to do it. Finishing the 2nd week they will start your offline but if the plane broke or weather arrives you need to wait for a new instructor for start offline training. Again if you don't fly you don't get paid. Also you need to load and unload cargo from the plane(around 1500 lbs. A day). When you pass your check ride you will start in the line with the normal salary. But remember showtime is at 6AM in the 90% of bases and you will be done at 8PM normally. You will only fly 2 to 4 hrs. A day. The rest of the day you will be stuck outstation somewhere. Don't risk your PRIA Record with this old planes and old airline from my class of 13 guys only 6 pass everything. There's no autopilot and only 10% of the aircraft have GPS flying Busy IFR Departures and Busy Arrivals from big airports. Easy to get a Violation. Just wait more and fly a Jet with Professional Equipment. Your choice

Geez you're coming across all wrong here bud...is this your first job in professional flying by any chance?

Not everyone uses GPS (maybe all the Garmin 1000's and 430's out in GA spoiled you); and VOR nav is not antiquated...think you won't see one in a transport category aircraft in Central America? Complaining about the planes being ugly? HAHAHAHAHA you're killing me man! Please don't get shiny jet syndrome because those planes look so much better. They want you to fly precise and safe because you may get killed flying! Ever think of that? You're flying around in terrain, snow, ice, low vis, you can DIE! So yes, they have to put people through the ringer. Professional equipment? Please define (unless you mean SAFER due to MX, then you have no point here).

For your own sake and sanity, I suggest you take a step back and ask around the field, ask older aviators for stories to help you gain some perspective.

Not defending the company here or their pay, methods, etc etc... Just telling you that you really should gain some perspective...before you're in some deep trouble due to that kind of attitude and God only knows how you expect this profession to be if things are going to be handed to you on a silver platter. Believe me, 135 is tough..whether in a piston single or turbine multi...take it all in now!

Best of luck! Oh and btw I did time there myself and loved it

Now for the Ameriflight haters to have the floor lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2015, 06:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

I don't have a dog in this fight, but johnifrpilot - - - oh my - - what a terrible first post.

I'll have to agree with many of the other responders to this thread.
Did you not do ANY investigation into the company with which you applied for employment? Did you not ask ANY questions during your interview? Did you not listen to ANY of the information present during the process from employees of Ameriflight - or are you contending they lie to you during the process.

I too would like to know if this is your first professional flying job.
Please share you flying background to this point too. It will provide some sorely needed credence to your story if you actually have something to compare against; otherwise you are coming across as a 'entitlement minded newbie' who dabbled in his hobby turned profession without an ounce of foresight.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:58 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2013

Originally Posted by johnifrpilot View Post
Oh please. It's not that hard. If you can't fly a SID or STAR to basic PTS standards you probably shouldn't have an instrument rating. The company and training department do leave a lot to be desired but if you can't handle the training you probably don't belong here.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

A couple of thoughts from the class of 1989-1990.

Ameriflight training hasn't changed. The Frasca sim mated to the chieftain cockpit was new when I got there. I was an IP and I begged and pleaded to do offline training. I bet the heck out of doing single engine work fully loaded and at max gross weight. The training was designed with one thing in mind: survival. There was no captain to help you out when things started going South. Embrace the training and the experience. I had people tell me that Ameriflight was the best stick and rudder flying they did in their careers. I can now agree with that assesment.

Is having Ameriflight on your resume a good thing. All I can say is that if the recruiters know anything about AMF, it will be a positive. If not, then it's just another job on your way up the ladder. Something that you can't put a value on is that for the period starting mid 1980's to mid to late 1990's, there were a lot of pilots that worked at Ameriflight. These pilots, like me, have risen up the ranks and now might be in positions of influence at 121 carriers. I would look highly at a former Ameriflight pilot and would view his experience in a positive light. Do you need this to get hired at your next regional, no. If I saw a resume with Ameriflight experience on it, it will get a harder look.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2009
Position: Left seat of a Jet

Originally Posted by jonnyjetprop View Post
A couple of thoughts from the class of 1989-1990.

Ameriflight training hasn't changed. The Frasca sim mated to the chieftain cockpit was new when I got there. I was an IP and I begged and pleaded to do offline training. I bet the heck out of doing single engine work fully loaded and at max gross weight. The training was designed with one thing in mind: survival. There was no captain to help you out when things started going South. Embrace the training and the experience. I had people tell me that Ameriflight was the best stick and rudder flying they did in their careers. I can now agree with that assesment.

Is having Ameriflight on your resume a good thing. All I can say is that if the recruiters know anything about AMF, it will be a positive. If not, then it's just another job on your way up the ladder. Something that you can't put a value on is that for the period starting mid 1980's to mid to late 1990's, there were a lot of pilots that worked at Ameriflight. These pilots, like me, have risen up the ranks and now might be in positions of influence at 121 carriers. I would look highly at a former Ameriflight pilot and would view his experience in a positive light. Do you need this to get hired at your next regional, no. If I saw a resume with Ameriflight experience on it, it will get a harder look.
If you're looking to get on with a Delta, United, or whoever you better come correct with glass, jet, and crew time because that's what I 'm talking about!
Old 05-12-2015, 10:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Originally Posted by bozobigtop View Post
If you're looking to get on with a Delta, United, or whoever you better come correct with glass, jet, and crew time because that's what I 'm talking about!
Very few have gone from Ameriflight direct to a legacy carrier. A stop at Ameriflight is not without its benefits either. It's not an even/or choice.