Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight etc vs. 121 world

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 08:12 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: Swivel Chair
Default AMF vs 121

Gawd .. I'm so glad we can kiss and make-up.

I'd have stuck to my guns, however ... both of ya's!

TransMach
Old 01-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Just curious for those AMF guys on here... How did you build your 1200TT to get to AMF? Instructing? Right seat on other 135 carriers? Combination of both? I am currently on the instructing path but I was thinking that sitting right seat for a year or to to build to 1200TT may be beneficial?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by maximilian2 View Post
Just curious for those AMF guys on here... How did you build your 1200TT to get to AMF? Instructing? Right seat on other 135 carriers? Combination of both? I am currently on the instructing path but I was thinking that sitting right seat for a year or to to build to 1200TT may be beneficial?
I split flight time with a lot of pilots renting the same airplanes, flight instructed, flew a Part 91 Piper Arrow for a businessman, and flew Part 135 freight in a Lance before going to AMF.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:44 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: BE-1900 CA

I did it all flight instructing, mostly Cessnas, a little bit in a Duchess, all of it VFR. It doesn't really matter- as long as you meet the 135 mins (or are close enough to meet them by your checkride), and can pass a basic sim ride during your interview, you should be good to go. If you can build time faster by flying for another 135 operator, that's cool. Some solid IFR experience will definitely help, but it's not necessary- I had less than 10 hours of actual when I interviewed. I got more than that my first week flying the line.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Furloughed Righ Seater

well, i was a prop driver at a 121 for some time, didnt want to commute so i gave it up and stopped flying. that only lasted a year and i decided to go to AMF for the "home base". I turned down 3 CRJ offers to do it. well, after several months of the AMF lifestlye i can honestly say that I dont regret the experience but i cant wait to leave and NEVER EVER come back.

MX is terrible. I have been told to "just take it and we'll fix it when we get back" to "dont worry, that lights stays on all the time" to "we'll it does need to be fixed but it should hold up on this flight". We even had a cowl almost fall off the other day in flight because the guy secured ONE HING and walked away, then IT GOT SIGNED OFF and left for a flight. I have never had to stand my ground and fight with MX so much in my flying life to the point where i was concerned about losing my job because i was refusing so many flights due to MX problems. IMO you have too much betting against you in the single pilot IFR cargo world to not have MX on your side.

I am looking forward to getting back to my 121 world and I will take a commute anyday over another day of AMF. I appreciate the frieght dawg pilot better and I can honestly say I am a better pilot for doing it but i will never recommend it to a friend. If you can go 121 DO!!!! Turbine PIC isnt worth it.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:08 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2007

[quote=utedrummer;312307 MX is terrible. quote]

Not sure if I would use the word terrible, but it is certainly challenging. You really have to pay attention and stand your ground. Personally I have had it OK without much drama. Cross wired controls, bolts left off of engines, gages falling out of the panel during takeoff are all things I have heard from pilots. The best I have heard was an airplane signed off for service without a pilot seat installed.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

[quote=1st2000;312683]
Originally Posted by utedrummer;312307 MX is terrible. quote

Not sure if I would use the word terrible, but it is certainly challenging. You really have to pay attention and stand your ground. Personally I have had it OK without much drama. Cross wired controls, bolts left off of engines, gages falling out of the panel during takeoff are all things I have heard from pilots. The best I have heard was an airplane signed off for service without a pilot seat installed.
I had very few problems with the Mx at AMF. If you write it up, they have to fix it. I've seen problem aircraft come from other bases and it is my belief that the pilots could have done a lot more to keep the airplanes healthy.

NO ONE HAS EVER BEEN FIRED FOR A LEGITIMATE WRITE-UP. And never will be. Can you imagine the legal nightmare Ameriflight will face if they did fire someone for sqwauking and legitimate problem?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Originally Posted by wildcat1 View Post

NO ONE HAS EVER BEEN FIRED FOR A LEGITIMATE WRITE-UP. And never will be.
What items are legitimate enough to write-up?
Old 02-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: Sidelined

anything you want to sqwak as long as it is reasonable and needed,,like you don't write up a seat fabric tear or dumb things that are not safety or functionally required to work. but any mechanical or structural issues do get sqwaked.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Originally Posted by socal swede View Post
anything you want to sqwak as long as it is reasonable and needed,,like you don't write up a seat fabric tear or dumb things that are not safety or functionally required to work. but any mechanical or structural issues do get sqwaked.
I was trying to illustrate that its not always that simple.