Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

TMC Jets

Old 11-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2012
Position: Captain America

Originally Posted by ShadyMilkman View Post
Thanks for the info, FlyGuy.

I'd like to hear what's so bad about the place from guys that work there. It might not be as harsh as what I'm dealing with at my current company.

Any current TMC-ers out there care to offer a guy some details?
I sent you a private message...
Old 11-08-2012, 06:44 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2011

Originally Posted by ShadyMilkman View Post
Thanks for the info, FlyGuy.

I'd like to hear what's so bad about the place from guys that work there. It might not be as harsh as what I'm dealing with at my current company.

Any current TMC-ers out there care to offer a guy some details?

I would like some info as well. I'm in pretty much the same boat as Shady. TMC has to be better than where I am at right now.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2011

bumpity bump

Any TMC'ers know of current hiring trends/plans?
Old 12-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2008

Not TMC, but just interviewed there. Sounds like more aircraft are in the works. Currently negotiating for more a/c from what I could get them to admit to.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2011

Originally Posted by Coopspeed View Post
Not TMC, but just interviewed there. Sounds like more aircraft are in the works. Currently negotiating for more a/c from what I could get them to admit to.

Coop,

Thanks for the heads-up.

PM sent.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2012
Position: Outside Looking In

Have info about TMC, what they are doing to pilots, etc. You still want to know the story?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Line Holder

TMC is non-union part 135 operation. Pay is posted for FOs and Capts and is what it is. They fly their pilots within the legal boundaries under part 135, and from an efficiency point of view, they are VERY efficient with pilot scheduling. You'll work hard on your trips.

There is the occasional part 91 play to reposition an empty jet outside of your 16 hours, and "playing the safety card" is generally frowned upon by management. Do it too many times and you may not have a job.

Pilots sign a 52-week training contract from initial training or any new type training incurred. The company does enforce the contract: if you leave within that period expect to be sued for the full-cost of the training (no proration).

Great job for young & inexperienced pilot who needs to cob on some turbine ME TT time. Upgrades are not guaranteed by date of hire, seniority, or any other conventional union work rule: management runs the show.

Go for an interview and ask lots of questions. Don't expect to be hired if you’re a reservist.

I expect this'll be a great path to get enough time to qualify for the ATP minimums come this Summer, then jet off to the regional job. Don't expect work rules or pay to increase as a result: they'll have flight academy grads banging down the doors for the opportunity to be exploited.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Originally Posted by Cruise Check View Post
Pilots sign a 52-week training contract from initial training or any new type training incurred. The company does enforce the contract: if you leave within that period expect to be sued for the full-cost of the training (no proration).
I have run these training contracts by a few lawyers over the years and all have said these are illegal if the training is required for the job you are being employed for. Makes one wonder though!
Old 12-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by f10a View Post
I have run these training contracts by a few lawyers over the years and all have said these are illegal if the training is required for the job you are being employed for. Makes one wonder though!
I know, right? And everyone you talk to says the same thing. But here's what happened: good friend of my retired from USAF and took a job with them. He left at the 46-week point as he was fatigued and burned-out and wanted out. Thought that those contracts were illegal and that they wouldn't care about him.

He received a letter from the company's lawyer. Told him they were filing in IN state court for $9,000 to reclaim his training costs per his contract. He had 10 days to respond. He hired a local lawyer to represent him who went through the contract with a fine-tooth comb and found a few irregularities but judged that it was pretty tight. He had the option of going to court to defend himself, with legal fees, travel expenses (he would have to appear himself) and the whole nine-yards. Instead he had his lawyer work a settlement for an unfairly prorated amount that cost him, all in all, $3900.

So, the court may call the contract illegal, but how much will it cost you to be represented by a laywer, travel to IN, hotel room bills, and court fees?

Also, my friend only went through refresher Beechjet training. For initial training the cost would be $16,000, which is what most pilots' contracts are written for...
Old 12-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by f10a View Post
The bottom-line is that THIS company chooses to take their former employees to court instead of assuming that their contracts are illegal. So, you may roll the dice and win the lawsuit, and you may even counter-sue to cover ALL your expenses in the initial lawsuit, but it may be a long road. This is all exacerbated by fighting a lawsuit in Indiana where you may live in Nevada, or wherever. TMC may be illegal, but they still have the upper-hand.