Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

satsair question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 06:19 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005

SATSair...

I don't see how that is a show stopper. Why would you leave one good and upcoming 135 air taxi service with sound leadership / vision for another one?

-LAFF
Old 02-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Originally Posted by LAfrequentflyer View Post
SATSair...

I don't see how that is a show stopper. Why would you leave one good and upcoming 135 air taxi service with sound leadership / vision for another one?

-LAFF
Well it's just like anything in life, maybe they don't fit your lifestyle anymore, etc.... Maybe you're ready for a muli-job, instead of flying singles around. I'm sure they'll have jets eventually, but as with anything, it can be a long ways away. For the up-and-coming, after you build some time, you would probably prefer to move up in the chain in a familiar environment. Personally, the SR22's a great airplane for "Most" weather situations. I don't know if I would want to be flying in winter ops with them unless the skies had trace-no icing. Even in the southern operations area, it is a factor.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: Airplane Driver

Maybe its just not the right place for you. You could very easily just get sick of flying the cirrus of single engine and decide you want to fly something bigger, faster, whatever. But not your choices are very limited becasue of the contract that you signed way back when.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: high speed taxi driver

Your choices are NOT very limited because of that contract. Regionals, majors, fractional, even charters are all fair game. They only have you sign that to keep you from working at another air taxi service. A competitor to them. Other than that they could care less if you go fly for anybody else. Aside from the fact that they'd be losing a pilot.
I'm not a lawyer, and I don't know how well they could hold someone to that contract, but with how fast they are growing they have everyone watching every move they make. They aren't about to do something illegal and risk everything.

As far as flying in winter ops, its not that bad. If there is known icing, you don't go. Simple. If you encounter icing you have the TKS for an hour to get you out.

This isn't for every one, some can handle it and come can't. But its a lot of fun, and I'm loving every minute of it.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: Airplane Driver

So tell us what you know about the company that hasnt already been posted? You said that you did a phone interview? I take it you got the job? Whats it like? I only ask because Im partially interested.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2006

I am very interested too.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005

Originally Posted by Ewfflyer View Post
Well it's just like anything in life, maybe they don't fit your lifestyle anymore, etc.... Maybe you're ready for a muli-job, instead of flying singles around. I'm sure they'll have jets eventually, but as with anything, it can be a long ways away. For the up-and-coming, after you build some time, you would probably prefer to move up in the chain in a familiar environment. Personally, the SR22's a great airplane for "Most" weather situations. I don't know if I would want to be flying in winter ops with them unless the skies had trace-no icing. Even in the southern operations area, it is a factor.
Your correct...It would fit my lifestyle quite nicely.

-LAFF
Old 02-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by rubbersidedown View Post
So tell us what you know about the company that hasnt already been posted? You said that you did a phone interview? I take it you got the job? Whats it like? I only ask because Im partially interested.
Well, after looking back through all the posting of Satsair, there really isn't much I can think of that hasn't already been said.
Yes, I did a phone interview, was invited to an interview with the Assist CP, a few days later was asked when I wanted to attend training. Its a great company, and I am loving every day I'm here. Great QOL, mtx support, management support. I would say the biggest downer for myself (coming from all crew flying) is being on the road alone all the time, it can be several weeks before you see a co-worker. Even when you do, they could just be in a plane passing by your window 1000ft away.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2006

Hey jdsavage,

I am interested about learning more about satsair and really want to send my resume to them but am a bit skeptical about going back into a single engine piston because if I ever wanted to go to a corporate operator flying a turboprop or jet then I do not think they would like to see SE time. I am in my early 20s and fly for the regionals now and flew 135 before and really enjoyed it. Right now I just want a better QOL career position with a good company and what I have heard about Satsair is all really good. Also, I was just curious if you get to pick your base or if the company picks it for you. I live in SE Tennessee and would really like the PDK base or BNA.

1500 TT
1000 ME
800 ME Turbine
Old 02-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Fly21 View Post
Hey jdsavage,

I am interested about learning more about satsair and really want to send my resume to them but am a bit skeptical about going back into a single engine piston because if I ever wanted to go to a corporate operator flying a turboprop or jet then I do not think they would like to see SE time. I am in my early 20s and fly for the regionals now and flew 135 before and really enjoyed it. Right now I just want a better QOL career position with a good company and what I have heard about Satsair is all really good. Also, I was just curious if you get to pick your base or if the company picks it for you. I live in SE Tennessee and would really like the PDK base or BNA.

1500 TT
1000 ME
800 ME Turbine
I wouldn't worry about another operator not liking SE time. It is PIC, single pilot, IFR, and 135. PDK and BNA are bases, and you do get to pick where you go. However, I can't say if they are looking to put anybody in those specific cities. I would say go for it. At least talk with the CP. So far I haven't heard anything out of his mouth that wasn't true. They do a good job of making sure every one knows what they are getting into.