Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

TMC- Travel Management Company

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 03:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Begging for a crew meal

Agreed. But if it's not in the regs in black and white than a lot of these operators aren't going to do it. I don't see a requirement for "in writing".

Where I work, I don't get the notification in writing. Strictly verbal over the phone. Haven't had any big issues with it.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:31 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by fordprefect View Post
If it’s not in writing it is your word against theirs. If it is not required, that is how Travel Management is pulling the wool over the Feds eyes.
On paper, the way TMC, and everyone else expresses duty and rest is 100% legal. I guarantee the POI audits and looks at these, as they do everywhere. When they pull John Doe's file out, it shows you were on duty for 9 hours, off for 16 hours, on for 11 hours, off for 14 hours, on for 6 hours, off for 25 hours etc. On paper it looks like you are treated like a king.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:11 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014

See, this confuses me as well. I haul freight and not people but same difference. My captain who I fly with told me that our duty day doesn't start until we get the first call for that day. Example, we sat at an airport after we exited the hotel the other day until 5pm. We then get a call. So he said we were good to fly until 7am. I don't understand that. IMO, when you leave the hotel AFTER your rest and show up at the airport the clock should start. Apparently he disagrees. He said even though we are at the airport we aren't "on duty".

Btw, we are a 24/7 on-call operation. We never get anything written to us by dispatch. It's all done by a phone call. So, I guess we are up for phone call's after rest but we aren't "on-duty" until we have our first flight. (shrugs)...
Old 10-19-2015, 11:16 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by Av8er1550 View Post
See, this confuses me as well. I haul freight and not people but same difference. My captain who I fly with told me that our duty day doesn't start until we get the first call for that day. Example, we sat at an airport after we exited the hotel the other day until 5pm. We then get a call. So he said we were good to fly until 7am. I don't understand that. IMO, when you leave the hotel AFTER your rest and show up at the airport the clock should start. Apparently he disagrees. He said even though we are at the airport we aren't "on duty".

Btw, we are a 24/7 on-call operation. We never get anything written to us by dispatch. It's all done by a phone call. So, I guess we are up for phone call's after rest but we aren't "on-duty" until we have our first flight. (shrugs)...
This drives me freaking nuts. Your captain is an asshat moron. How are you on rest as you sit in your uniform at the freaking airport!? I would love to educate him on the matter.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014

That guy is the prime example of why companies take advantage of employees. You should probably get a new job quickly before he gets you violated.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Begging for a crew meal

Originally Posted by Av8er1550 View Post

That's bull****. Tell the him to stick it. Your duty day started when you get kicked out of the hotel. This has come up a few times in the past with my employer and I've won the argument every time.

I get a phone call notifying us of our off and on times in advance. It might be 30 seconds in advance - but it's in advance. That usually comes with a rundown of the next day with departure times. I'd rather get an email with the times - but I don't see anything that has to be in writing.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:18 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2014
Position: BE400 PIC

Duty starts when the pre assigned rest period ends. (Travel local in character is not a part of duty).
You are not on rest if you are required to answer phones, respond to emails etc. Read the interpretation letters.
Then check your GOMs to see if they match.

If not, you could be held responsible if, god forbid, anything happens.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2013
Default Pt 91 "duty"

Previous posts have mentioned "pt 91" reposition flights. How does TMC treat these? It has always seemed to me that if you are in a company airplane flying at the companies request it should count as duty and flight time against the daily maximums. It never happens in my current situation, but I know of other companies that do it. I just don't understand how it could be legal.

And what does the new union have to say about all this? I understand the union is new, but I would think that one voice from the union should be able to resolve this issue.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2013

Originally Posted by Intel33 View Post
And what does the new union have to say about all this? I understand the union is new, but I would think that one voice from the union should be able to resolve this issue.
Rolling rest and duty times, that is.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:44 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2014
Position: BE400 PIC

Originally Posted by Starbucks View Post
"in writing"? I don't think it has to be. I may be overlooking it, but I don't see that written anywhere.
It doesnt state that is has to be in writing, however, how would you verify to a fed the you were placed on rest prior to the assigned trip. My company does it in writing (time stamped emails) to provide a paper trail & timeline detailing the compliance.