Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   TMC- Travel Management Company (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/59272-tmc-travel-management-company.html)

BeechJunk 10-21-2015 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by twebb (Post 1994921)
I think Argus and Wyvern need to take an active roll in this. 135 operators must submit available duty times 10 hours prior to being duty on, or notify they only accept trips with minimum 10 hours notice. If an operator does not send in rest and duty times daily, they will not be called for a flight.

I agree, the FAA has been looking at duty rest and all they look for is verification that you were not "on duty" as reported in the records for 10 or more hours.

Wyvern & Argus could lead this if during their audits, they required detailed rest policy spelled out in the GOM to include written notification in advance.

BeechJunk 10-21-2015 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Starbucks (Post 1995259)
Agreed. But if it's not in the regs in black and white than a lot of these operators aren't going to do it. I don't see a requirement for "in writing".

Where I work, I don't get the notification in writing. Strictly verbal over the phone. Haven't had any big issues with it.

God forbid an accident occurs, how would you or the company prove to the FAA or the NTSB that you were on rest?

The FAA requires duty logs, they then assume, falsely, that any time not on duty is rest. That is where the FAA policy is weak. Because companies only document duty associated with a flight and provides a 10 hour look back that documents you weren't assigned a flight prior to that duty. In the FAA's eyes, if it isn't documented, it didn't occur.

Starbucks 10-21-2015 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by BeechJunk (Post 1996813)
God forbid an accident occurs, how would you or the company prove to the FAA or the NTSB that you were on rest?

The FAA requires duty logs, they then assume, falsely, that any time not on duty is rest. That is where the FAA policy is weak. Because companies only document duty associated with a flight and provides a 10 hour look back that documents you weren't assigned a flight prior to that duty. In the FAA's eyes, if it isn't documented, it didn't occur.

Again I agree with all this. Just stating it how it is. Notification doesn't have to be in writing. Sucks. But I don't see that requirement. They could be in full compliance doing it verbally over the phone.

BeechJunk 10-21-2015 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Starbucks (Post 1996935)
Again I agree with all this. Just stating it how it is. Notification doesn't have to be in writing. Sucks. But I don't see that requirement. They could be in full compliance doing it verbally over the phone.

The key is "what is the company policy". If the company policy says phone call assignment of rest is adequate, then it is adequate. If there is no detailed written policy on how the company will comply with rest, then the Pilots should request the company provide detailed written guidance that describes how they will comply with "prospective rest assignments".

Here is a Link to all FAA Interpretation Letters if you are need them:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...terpretations/

Starbucks 10-21-2015 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by BeechJunk (Post 1997003)
The key is "what is the company policy". If the company policy says phone call assignment of rest is adequate, then it is adequate. If there is no detailed written policy on how the company will comply with rest, then the Pilots should request the company provide detailed written guidance that describes how they will comply with "prospective rest assignments".

Here is a Link to all FAA Interpretation Letters if you are need them:

Regulations Division ? Legal Interpretations & Chief Counsel's Opinions

OK. I think we're talking around each other on this one....

ThomasMagnum 10-23-2015 03:46 PM

At least nobody is wearing that tacky company swag!!

badtransam97 10-23-2015 05:10 PM

Any chance they will hire around the Wyvern/Argus requirements once the "shortage" starts to hit full bore? I can get a job with a regional, but cant at a charter company because I dont have the required time in category.
Meanwhile, guys that want to go to a regional cant because they dont have 1500hrs, but can get a job with TMC or similar outfits. Just frustrating for those of us who dont want to go the regional route.

Apokleros 10-24-2015 03:16 PM

@badtransam97

They are asking for 1000 hours total time nowadays; 500 hours PIC in ASEL. What time requirements must you have there? It is still somewhat competive though, if you're up against something with jet time, you likely won't have much luck getting an interview.

BuddhaPilot73 10-24-2015 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by badtransam97 (Post 1998728)
Any chance they will hire around the Wyvern/Argus requirements once the "shortage" starts to hit full bore? I can get a job with a regional, but cant at a charter company because I dont have the required time in category.
Meanwhile, guys that want to go to a regional cant because they dont have 1500hrs, but can get a job with TMC or similar outfits. Just frustrating for those of us who dont want to go the regional route.

Not much chance on getting around the mins. Meeting Argus Gold seems to be the min that brokers are looking for. Companies that can't meet those don't get trips that make decent money.

badtransam97 10-24-2015 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Apokleros (Post 1999161)
@badtransam97

They are asking for 1000 hours total time nowadays; 500 hours PIC in ASEL. What time requirements must you have there? It is still somewhat competive though, if you're up against something with jet time, you likely won't have much luck getting an interview.

I've got 2300TT but it's mostly turbine Helo. Only 450 is fixed wing. CP said the 1000 had to be all FW because of Wyvern. That was back in August.