Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

TMC- Travel Management Company

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 07:16 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2015

Hey I'm currently a regional pilot and looking into TMC. I've read this whole thread and yes, some people are saying don't come here, but I've been at a regional for 3 year and am not moving anywhere. So I am really considering TMC, although I have a question for current pilots there. I have over 3000TT and would like PIC so to make my resume better. I do know typical upgrade is 4 years based on insurance issues. Are there any rumors that may change? Honestly there are very few pilots left that have the PIC time and would choose TMC over a major. Also, I know that TMC types everyone as a PIC and that captains let you log PIC, but I don't know much about Part 135 ops. So does that "PIC time" only really count in the company's eyes for upgrade, or do the majors take the time seriously? I've already sat right seat for almost 4 years and really don't need anymore SIC time.

Thanks for any info!
Old 11-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2013

I don't work at TMC, but:

TMC is using the "sole manipulator" PIC definition for upgrades since you are typed in the A/C, due to Wyvern requirements.

No, airlines do not count "sole manipulator" PIC time. If you were typed in what ever you are flying, then you could count that time, but airlines want the time you are on the dispatch, brief, etc as the CAPTAIN.

Based on what I have heard, you should log 500- 600 hours a year at TMC, half of that time should be on the controls. So with your current time, you should be eligible to upgrade in something less than two years. Whether you will be needed to up grade is another question.

So are you likely to upgrade where you are at within two years? Do you want a lifestyle change? All things to consider.

Last edited by Intel33; 11-03-2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2011

AN321,

A few points in order of actual relevance to your desire to gain PIC experience:

1) The company considers your legs as pilot-flying to be "PIC" time for the purposes of their record retention.

So assume you are PF on exactly half of the legs you fly. If you fly 600 hours a year, which is probably average, then the company recorded "PIC" would probably shake out to 300 hours that year.

Here's the problem: The company requires 2000 multiengine PIC for upgrade. If you have very, very little PIC-ME experience, then it will take you a long time to become eligible for upgrade.

If you have, say, 200 hours PIC-ME, then you're 1800 hours shy. It will, in this example, probably take you 6 long years to meet that requirement.

2) I have heard nothing from management indicating that upgrade mins will change. It doesn't mean there aren't rumors, but my intuition is such that the upgrade mins are set in stone for the time being.

3) Your 3000 hours is shy of upgrade mins. You will need 4500 to upgrade. Those 1500 hours will probably take a little over two years regardless of what happens to the seniority list.

4) The "PIC" time as an FO is only PIC in the sense that you are rated in the aircraft and can therefore log some of the time as PIC when acting as "sole manipulator." From what I understand, the majors and many other coveted jobs will likely look down their noses at such time and consider it illegitimate as PIC experience. YMMV.

For that reason, I have only logged PIC in my own records when I have been assigned as the true pilot in command on the aircraft.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:32 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2015

What chances does a new-hire have being assigned to the Hawker as opposed to the Beechjet?
Old 11-03-2015, 11:16 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2011

Originally Posted by Horia View Post
What chances does a new-hire have being assigned to the Hawker as opposed to the Beechjet?
I would say not good. We are selling off some of our Hawkers to purchase more Challengers. (at least that's what we are being told) I imagine most new hires are going to the Beechjet.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:48 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2015

Thanks for the info everyone.

Has anyone interviewed lately and have any information??
Old 11-04-2015, 10:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: Left Seat

Originally Posted by skier17 View Post
I would say not good. We are selling off some of our Hawkers to purchase more Challengers. (at least that's what we are being told) I imagine most new hires are going to the Beechjet.
Are the Beechjets still going to be morphed into the Nextant 400XT?
Old 11-04-2015, 11:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2012
Position: Just because the MEL says we can, doesn't mean we should

Originally Posted by Fetzervalve View Post
Are the Beechjets still going to be morphed into the Nextant 400XT?
No..............
Old 11-04-2015, 01:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: Left Seat

Originally Posted by 680crewchief View Post
No..............
Not good....... I've heard the conversion is a real boost in performance which could be useful for TMC.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:27 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2014
Position: 135Cancer

Originally Posted by ShadyMilkman View Post
2) I have heard nothing from management indicating that upgrade mins will change. It doesn't mean there aren't rumors, but my intuition is such that the upgrade mins are set in stone for the time being.

3) Your 3000 hours is shy of upgrade mins. You will need 4500 to upgrade. Those 1500 hours will probably take a little over two years regardless of what happens to the seniority list.
I'm hearing from some of the new-hires that management is telling them they will upgrade as soon "as soon as [they] meet the minimums." Many are taking this to mean 250 time in type. I've been trying to set them straight. There are many, many people who have been here for several years who have that 250 (and more) in type who are waiting to upgrade. These sub-2000 hour new-hires are going to be waiting longer to upgrade at TMC than they would had they stuck it out at a regional. The future is only good for those folks hired around 2012-13 that are still waiting for an upgrade slot to come open. I expect many of those people to upgrade within the next 6-12 months.