TMC- Travel Management Company

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

TMC- Travel Management Company

Old 07-27-2014, 06:33 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2011

Originally Posted by solaero View Post
It is one of the better 135 gigs out there.

With that said:
- I have worked at far, far worse places. (I don't know how they stay in business)
- I have worked at far, far better places (I dearly miss those folks)
- This place could be much better, but I don't see it happening during my tenure (despite current events)
- We are staying current (albeit on antique, out-of-production airframes)
- Attrition is high (you can take that to mean anything and everything you'd like to assume)
Maybe it is better than some Part 135 places, Pacific Wings for example
No but I am glad that I am no longer at TMC. I have a life again and can afford things again.
Attrition is high. That should mean a lot to people who are interested in TMC.
I've had people contact me for advice on quitting.
The only good thing I got from TMC was learning how to propperly take care of rich people and stocking the plane. Seriously.. Thats what I do so well in my Part 91 job now!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Right Seat Gear Swinger

welp just read most of this thread... 3.5 regional FO here with no upgrade in sight. From what I read it sounds the same or even a bit better than working at the regionals. It would be a pay raise for me. 15 on would suck with a new family though. would it be a good move to go and upgrade to get the TPIC time.. then after a year or two head to a major?

I read something about upgrade mins going up? What are the times for that? I have a ton of of total and SIC time of course but less than 1000 PIC. Just wondering if the projected quick upgrade is really there; and if it would be worth resigning at my current company. Ran into a 2 year TMC guy today.. a friend I havent talked to in awhile. He seemed happy.. and he had been a capt for 8 months or so. Upgrade seemed legit. I just don't know.. stick out at the regional or try for TMC?
Old 08-01-2014, 06:29 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2014

Originally Posted by FSUpilot View Post
welp just read most of this thread... 3.5 regional FO here with no upgrade in sight. From what I read it sounds the same or even a bit better than working at the regionals. It would be a pay raise for me. 15 on would suck with a new family though. would it be a good move to go and upgrade to get the TPIC time.. then after a year or two head to a major?

I read something about upgrade mins going up? What are the times for that? I have a ton of of total and SIC time of course but less than 1000 PIC. Just wondering if the projected quick upgrade is really there; and if it would be worth resigning at my current company. Ran into a 2 year TMC guy today.. a friend I havent talked to in awhile. He seemed happy.. and he had been a capt for 8 months or so. Upgrade seemed legit. I just don't know.. stick out at the regional or try for TMC?
Upgrade minimums are as follows:
Total flight time (Fixed Wing): 3500 hours
Total PIC time (Fixed Wing): 2000 hours
PIC time in type: 250 hours
Total Muli-Engine: 1500 hours
Multi-Engine PIC: 500 hours
Turbine Engine: 500 hours
Instrument Time: 300 hours

Yes, guys are upgrading at around a year (some in less) and you don't need to worry about the upgrade train stopping so long as attrition keeps up. That said, if you have less than 1000 PIC you're probably looking at a 4 year upgrade. They will allow you to count "sole manipulator" time towards your PIC requirements but if you're only flying 500 hours a year (typical) and swapping every other leg, 2000 hours is a long way off. Even if every captain you fly with gives you every single leg, you're still probably looking at 2 years.

PIC time is probably the biggest hangup for the regional SICs that have come over; there's a number of them who have sat (or are currently sitting) in the right seat and barely making a dent in that 2000 hour PIC number. A few guys have also been burned on instrument time because they stopped logging it after they got their instrument rating, another thing to think about.

So the question is will you upgrade at your current place in the next four years? Even if the answer is no, what is your QOL like? It's nothing to write home about at TMC. Even the crappiest regional has work rules that TMC pilots can only dream of. I'm guessing your pay won't change significantly if you're already on 4th year pay where you are. Vacation? Scheduling flexibility? Training after you've already been on the road for 15 days?
Old 08-01-2014, 07:53 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2011

Originally Posted by wingedmunkie View Post
Upgrade minimums are as follows:
Total flight time (Fixed Wing): 3500 hours
Total PIC time (Fixed Wing): 2000 hours
Total Muli-Engine: 1500 hours
Multi-Engine PIC: 500 hours

Yes, guys are upgrading at around a year (some in less) and you don't need to worry about the upgrade train stopping so long as attrition keeps up. That said, if you have less than 1000 PIC you're probably looking at a 4 year upgrade. They will allow you to count "sole manipulator" time towards your PIC requirements but if you're only flying 500 hours a year (typical) and swapping every other leg, 2000 hours is a long way off. Even if every captain you fly with gives you every single leg, you're still probably looking at 2 years.

PIC time is probably the biggest hangup for the regional SICs that have come over; there's a number of them who have sat (or are currently sitting) in the right seat and barely making a dent in that 2000 hour PIC number. A few guys have also been burned on instrument time because they stopped logging it after they got their instrument rating, another thing to think about.

Those mins—posted above—only apply to crew members hired on or before 4/25/2014.

Everyone hired after 4/25 is stuck with:

Total flight time (Fixed Wing): 4000 hours
Total PIC time (Fixed Wing): 3000 hours
Total Muli-Engine: 3000 hours
Multi-Engine PIC: 2000 hours

To put things in perspective: if you currently have about 1000 PIC, and therefore need 2000 more, you can expect it to take over 6 years to upgrade.

I derive this number from well known policies and some other assumptions:

TMC recognizes legs flown by FOs as 'PIC' time by virtue of the 'sole manipulator' concept.

Most guys expect to fly about 600 hours per year—half of which can be reasonably assumed to be 'PIC', as one can expect to fly half of the legs in most cases.

Thus: 2000 additional hours 'PIC' = (600/2)X

X=6.666

I'm sorry to say it, FSUpilot, but unless the man changes his tune and drops Wyvern Wingman minimums, TMC would probably be a very stagnant sutuation for you.

Any pilot with very low total time, PIC time, or ME time, should weigh the above minimums heavily when considering the job.

Personally, I believe they may have to drop the mins again to continue hiring, but that will probably be far in the future.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Right Seat Gear Swinger

hey guys thanks for that.. its confirms what I was thinking. As much fun as it sounds, Ill prob just stay at the regionals. We are in contract negotiations anyway, so its always gonna be doom and gloom coming from management. Im only 250ish from upgrade when it continues anyways.

Thanks again for the honest write up.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

No problem and you're welcome. I wish I had better news, but good luck until then.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

They are going to be putting themselves into an interesting situation, as TMC is certainly a good entry level jet job. People with lower hours will be there a long time before upgrade. I wonder how that will change hiring in the future.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:49 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2013
Position: MD11 capt

Is there any reduction in the contract amount for pilots already typed in the equipment?

[QUOTE=Grundle;1692515]Signed up on APC to help clear the Fog-

Contract
19,500.00 NON-prorated
Begins on day one of INDOC
Transitioning pilots expected to sign a new contract and take a pay freeze until upgrade.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
They are going to be putting themselves into an interesting situation, as TMC is certainly a good entry level jet job. People with lower hours will be there a long time before upgrade. I wonder how that will change hiring in the future.
It's not the best company in the world, but I wouldn't call it entry level in any case.

Just about everyone hired seems to have either extensive air carrier experience or 91 experience in sophisticated equipment.

For a lot of pilots, especially the Lakers, it's a first job in a true jet, but entry level implies that they're hiring college kids or GA folk with 1500 hours—not the case.

You can't even have less than 2,500 and get hired. Alas, the frustration of much of the pilot group:

The man demands experienced and seasoned pilots, yet the pay is merely a knotch up from entry level.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:15 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by ShadyMilkman View Post
It's not the best company in the world, but I wouldn't call it entry level in any case.

Just about everyone hired seems to have either extensive air carrier experience or 91 experience in sophisticated equipment.

For a lot of pilots, especially the Lakers, it's a first job in a true jet, but entry level implies that they're hiring college kids or GA folk with 1500 hours—not the case.

You can't even have less than 2,500 and get hired. Alas, the frustration of much of the pilot group:

The man demands experienced and seasoned pilots, yet the pay is merely a knotch up from entry level.
I said entry level jet job. That is exactly what TMC is, an entry level jet job. Not an entry level flying job that's for sure.