Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

TMC- Travel Management Company

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2011

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
I said entry level jet job. That is exactly what TMC is, an entry level jet job. Not an entry level flying job that's for sure.
Well... In my class all but one had flown jets previously.
Almost all of us were 4000TT and above.
The pay may be entry level but I never heard of anyone getting hired with 2500 TT or around there. Maybe I'm wrong
Old 08-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

I don't mean it as a knock. Most of the guys I know who were hired are ex Avantair, or AMF guys. I had an interview at 2700 hours but didn't take an in person interview after the phone interview, and that was before the Wyvern increase.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2011

No quarrel with you, Jetlife. I just thought it superfluous to use the word entry level just because some of the pilots were fresh out if props—either kerosene or petrol varieties.

Case in point, Dash 8 and B1900 guys and gals get hired at a major or national carrier—does that make US Air or United entry level jet jobs?

A military Herc guy gets hired after only spending time in props...I don't think entry level belongs anywhere near his job description if he's at a legacy or major, even if it's the guy's first job sans props.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Banned

Are we comparing United to TMC? Come on now...
Old 08-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Are we comparing United to TMC? Come on now...
No, but I think you get my point.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Banned

I am sorry but I don't. What is the percentage of pilots who come to TMC that will stay for life, versus the percentage of pilots who will stay for life at United? TMC is a stepping stone on a career path, United is the destination (for some). I am not knocking TMC at all, but it just is what it is. Plus I would love to see when the last person that flew a 1900 to go to United was. TMC is a place for guys to get jet time, or get a paycheck while on furlough or when laid off from somewhere else. Am I wrong in that assumption? Nothing wrong with it at all, it has its place for sure.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I am sorry but I don't. What is the percentage of pilots who come to TMC that will stay for life, versus the percentage of pilots who will stay for life at United? TMC is a stepping stone on a career path, United is the destination (for some). I am not knocking TMC at all, but it just is what it is. Plus I would love to see when the last person that flew a 1900 to go to United was. TMC is a place for guys to get jet time, or get a paycheck while on furlough or when laid off from somewhere else. Am I wrong in that assumption? Nothing wrong with it at all, it has its place for sure.
In my understanding entry level implies one can get hired there from another sector of the industry without comparable experience.

Stepping stone ≠ entry level in this case.

Royal Air is an entry level jet job. Kalitta Charters is an entry level job. So is Sierra West. Most regionals are, depending on the condition of the market, entry level.

TMC really is not. It's very hard to be lacking *both* air carrier experience and jet time and still get hired at TMC.

It's not a retirement job at all—it may not even be a good job by the most reasonable standards. But it's not an entry level job in the same way that many regional airlines, bottom feeder cargo outfits, and shady 135s are.

Stepping stone—definitely, for most. Entry level—not really.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: HS125

Plus I would love to see when the last person that flew a 1900 to go to United was.
Am aware of four people who have only flown 1900's and have been hired at United in the last year
Old 08-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Portuguese Troubleshooter

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Burrito Bomber

Originally Posted by rickB View Post
Am aware of four people who have only flown 1900's and have been hired at United in the last year
How dare you!?! We all know only RJ pilots get legacy jobs!
Old 08-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: HS125

Originally Posted by ImEbee View Post
How dare you!?! We all know only RJ pilots get legacy jobs!
Kidding... I lied!!! :P

go hawks !