Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

135 Jobs

Old 07-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2011
Position: King Air Driver

Well I do not have any kids and my loans are completely paid off. Will be hitting Amflight mins in a month.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: goin somewhere....

Originally Posted by mwf008 View Post
FWIW, I went to Amflight after being furloughed from Shuttle America and went from making about 22000 a year to 28000 a year. Because I was willing to move, I was transitioned into the Metro within the first year and was then making over 40000. This isn't typical, but definitely possible if you're willing to move. I don't know that many S5 FO's can touch 40k given that the scale tops at 37/hr (not including per diem, of course), and the last upgrade was Jan 07. I got Turbine PIC much quicker and made much more money then I would at a regional as an FO. Whether 121 Jet time is more valuable is definitely debatable, but I was much happier flying freight than regionals. Also, as a single guy, I never struggled with money while being based in Oakland.
^^Agree^^
There is a thread going on right now debating 121/135. There are good points on both sides and you have to decide which direction would work better for your situation. Amflight upgrades are coming in pretty quick right now. Even if you're not flying turbine right away your building PIC time and getting really good experience. There are variations with regards to runs and times at amflight so you could work on getting a schedule that works good with you. If you don't want to live in OAK because of money you can go to PDX. They're hiring into both bases I believe. If you don't mind moving around some, you could be in a turbine within 6 months to a year. If you try amflight for a little while and dont like it you can always go to a regional taking the experiences with you to help you in that job or you can just head to a regional. Either way you're heading down the career road if that's where you want to be. Good Luck!

Last edited by Earl81; 07-16-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

Night freighting and check hauling is NOT for the timid or inexperienced in single-pilot, night IFR operations. Years ago, I lost 5 friends flying checks, one more recently, decades after he gave it up, while ferrying a Piper Colt. There are many stories about accidents and widows suing for damages.

Having done it, how does one live on these salaries? Easy, efficiency apartment, no wife or kids, if it won't fit in your Ford Pinto, you don't need it. Girlfriends exist only if they meet you halfway on expenses. It was as tough as today back in '73, but that's how a whole generation did it. I don't wish it on anyone, but if you want to get on in aviation, that's how.

GF

Last edited by galaxy flyer; 07-16-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2011
Position: King Air Driver

Roger that