Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

L-3/Dynamic/Avenge

Old 05-21-2013, 09:22 AM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Almost no ISR is single pilot, even the single engine stuff in Pilatus or 208s.
AirScan is single pilot.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013

I just got phone screening from L-3 for SIC Lear operations based in VA. I have been applying/updating for about 4 years and I have no internal reference. It sounds like very exciting flying. I couldn't imagine getting bored there. Unfortunately I had to turn it down because of pay, the man quoted 37-39k average first year. I would have gladly went 4 years ago.

Last edited by LJ JE; 05-21-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: B757 Ca, Retired.

Originally Posted by jeffang53 View Post
Anyone know/think this will be good resume material for a major airline?

thanks
It will be with the guys who do your interviews and sim checks, if they have friends or relatives in theater...
Old 05-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Layover Master

Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Seated

Originally Posted by LJ JE View Post
I just got phone screening from L-3 for SIC Lear operations based in VA. I have been applying/updating for about 4 years and I have no internal reference. It sounds like very exciting flying. I couldn't imagine getting bored there. Unfortunately I had to turn it down because of pay, the man quoted 37-39k average first year. I would have gladly went 4 years ago.
And after first year? Was there a big jump like airline pay scales? I've applied there repeatedly, with one internal rec, but have never gotten a call. I guess I don't have the time they are looking for...
Old 05-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by PotatoChip View Post
And after first year? Was there a big jump like airline pay scales? I've applied there repeatedly, with one internal rec, but have never gotten a call. I guess I don't have the time they are looking for...
The pay scale was pretty weak from what I could gather. He said that a pilot will typically get about 2-2.5k raise per year. He said that a typical upgrade time he has been telling everyone is 2 years, dependent on demand, seniority, and performance. Captains get a 50% increase in base pay.

Keep applying if that sounds manageable, the flight operations sound very fun.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

The pay scale was pretty weak from what I could gather. He said that a pilot will typically get about 2-2.5k raise per year. He said that a typical upgrade time he has been telling everyone is 2 years, dependent on demand, seniority, and performance. Captains get a 50% increase in base pay.

Keep applying if that sounds manageable, the flight operations sound very fun.
The pay has gone up slightly.
They were offering $35,000/yr back in '09-'10 timeframe in San Diego.
For what they are looking for (or were looking for) in tactical experience - the pay was incredibly low.
LJ JE - do you have any military aviation experience?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
The pay has gone up slightly.
They were offering $35,000/yr back in '09-'10 timeframe in San Diego.
For what they are looking for (or were looking for) in tactical experience - the pay was incredibly low.
LJ JE - do you have any military aviation experience?
I believe that the guaranteed base pay is still 35k, but he said that most pilots make about 37-39k. It is low for any full time flying job, very low for what they expect from their pilots. I don't have any military time.

4300 TT
700 LR35
Old 05-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

I believe that the guaranteed base pay is still 35k, but he said that most pilots make about 37-39k. It is low for any full time flying job, very low for what they expect from their pilots. I don't have any military time.

4300 TT
700 LR35
Ah
Well that is a little more sad that the pay has not gone up in the last 3 years too.
When I, and my peers, looked at them they were requiring some past military experience just for the type of flying and for the past tactical experience so that all could talk the talk, attend the briefs, take the notes during engagements, etc.... You certainly have the time flight time they would like to see and they have expanded their search for pilots. That could be a good thing if they paid a reasonable wage.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:48 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by Dash7AV8R View Post
We start out at $38.00/hr and usually give a 3% pay raises on your hire date each year. There is some stateside work, but it is sporadic and few....and it almost exclusively goes to guys that have been with the company a long time and have paid their dues overseas for a few years. So, the bulk of all new hires will go into the KingAir 300/350 and rotate on a 60 on 60 off schedule. As stated earlier...you'll be paid $38/hour for an 8 hour work day...or about $300/day base pay. In addition to this you will receive another approximately $350 in hazardous duty pay and allowances. This means that a new hire will make about $650/day...or about $20,000 in a 31 day month while overseas. When doing training...any training in the states, they will pay you your hourly rate while traveling to and from training as well as 8 hours minimum for the training day itself. Anything over 8 in foreign lands doesn't count...anything in the states does. So, if you worked a 15 hour day in Afghanistan (you will probably never come even close to this but I'm just saying) you would only get paid for 8. If in the states you would get whatever you worked...with an 8 hour minimum. So, if you stayed in the sim for your recurrent 24 hours...you'd be paid for 24 hours. There's a lot of rumors about the ISR players, but I can tell you that after working for Avenge (and deploying to Iraq and Afghanistan) for the last 6 1/2 years....these are a classy bunch of guys. As with any job that requires alot of time away from home, this job isn't for everyone, but the few that can hang....truly hang...in tough austere environments, it's a GREAT job!! I couldn't possibly say enough good things about Avenge and no..I'm not a corporate guy.
are you still on the OCONUS rotation? I'm starting with L3 August and would like to do it for the long haul. Any insight is appreciated.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Ah
Well that is a little more sad that the pay has not gone up in the last 3 years too.
When I, and my peers, looked at them they were requiring some past military experience just for the type of flying and for the past tactical experience so that all could talk the talk, attend the briefs, take the notes during engagements, etc.... You certainly have the time flight time they would like to see and they have expanded their search for pilots. That could be a good thing if they paid a reasonable wage.
Coincidentally, the guy from L-3 just called me back about the Lear SIC position to inform me of a pay increase. The average number he quoted me is 47k per year. That was an increase in hourly pay which is now $62.67 at an average of 750 hours per year (500 flying).