Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

L-3/Dynamic/Avenge

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: King Air PIC

Originally Posted by WARich View Post
Wow!! Good thing L3 is keeping it's rates. But I guess there will aways be pilots willing to get half the rate at Avenge.
I am still learning the in's and out's of the contracting world so take this for what it is worth. It seems that this last round of contract negotiations with DoD is what forced Avenge to cut the rates dramatically. I was talking with some L-3 guys (maintainers) and they said that all the maintenance contracts took a big pay cut as well. As of last night a non-rotating L-3 pilot had told me they have not seen a pay cut yet. Will the L-3 pilots see a pay cut in the very near future as contracts get renegotiated? Who knows.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2012
Position: Babysitter

Originally Posted by MilitaryAV8R View Post
I am still learning the in's and out's of the contracting world so take this for what it is worth. It seems that this last round of contract negotiations with DoD is what forced Avenge to cut the rates dramatically. I was talking with some L-3 guys (maintainers) and they said that all the maintenance contracts took a big pay cut as well. As of last night a non-rotating L-3 pilot had told me they have not seen a pay cut yet. Will the L-3 pilots see a pay cut in the very near future as contracts get renegotiated? Who knows.
Back when I was looking at doing some of the contract flying down range I would be able to stomach it due to the pay. But the new rates, not a chance.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

A lot of the MX folks are leaving..at an alarming rate. And those that are staying, are NOT happy. You can imagine what that translates too.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2011
Position: Licking the window

L-3 recently re-upped their contract for another year and there is no cut in pay. Rumor is 4% raise, but no more business class travel.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Working weekends

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Left Seat

Originally Posted by Locke View Post
L-3 recently re-upped their contract for another year and there is no cut in pay. Rumor is 4% raise, but no more business class travel.
Is this the "Afghan" operation of L-3 ?
Old 11-17-2013, 02:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2011
Position: Licking the window

Afghanistan is a large part of it, but there are other locations
Old 11-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Back when I was looking at doing some of the contract flying down range I would be able to stomach it due to the pay.
Stomach it? You act as though it's a hardship.

It's an opportunity, not some mortal sacrifice. If you think you need to "stomach it," then it's really not the place for you.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

It is a hardship. BUT!! Let me be very clear, it is NOT the same hardship as those borne by those in uniform.

Its a hardship being away from family, friends, civilization, ect.

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
Stomach it? You act as though it's a hardship.

It's an opportunity, not some mortal sacrifice. If you think you need to "stomach it," then it's really not the place for you.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green

Sign me up. L3 has at least 8 jobs advertised on Linked In. Wonder when they'll actually interview people.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:18 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

It is a hardship. BUT!! Let me be very clear, it is NOT the same hardship as those borne by those in uniform.

Its a hardship being away from family, friends, civilization, ect.
I never found it to be a hardship. I did find it to be very much like in fact exactly like the uniformed troops doing the same thing, however, and in fact it is.

There are many jobs that require extended time away from home. Contracting and military assignments are but among them. it's not a hardship. The difference for the military personnel is that they don't get to choose whether to be there or not, though certainly they got to choose whether to enlist or take a commission. We pick up one end of the stick, we pick up the other, and the same is true of the contractor, who takes the job, knowing what it entails. It is what it is.