Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

L-3/Dynamic/Avenge

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
The difference for the military personnel is that they don't get to choose whether to be there or not,
Sure you do, I know plenty of people who chose not to be in the military or do something, after they were in the military. Maybe they got a dishonorable discharge, but that's like getting fired and what would happen if you told your employer "no" as well. The difference for the military is that there's often a much greater risk of being injured, maimed, or killed. In the military you're going to have to do hard work if you want to stay there. It will be harder work and it will be harder to get out of it. They will demand more. Maybe your civilian employer/contractor does the same things, I don't know, but usually at that point they are paying for your expertise to make money.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:56 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

The difference for the military is that there's often a much greater risk of being injured, maimed, or killed.
By 2010, there were more contractor deaths in Afghanistan than military.

Between Iraq and Afghanistan, contractors have accounted for 25% of the deaths.

The article below points out greater numbers of contractors than troops, and more reported injuries of contractors than troops, too. Because contract companies tend to significantly underreport injuries (and deaths in some cases), the government figures are considered to be incomplete, with more contractor injuries and deaths.

https://civiliancontractors.wordpres...ractor-deaths/

When you step away from the Department of Labor figures and look elsewhere, the figures climb considerably. While the Department of Labor shows 44,000 civilian injuries, for example, the Defense Base Compensation Blog shows over 98,000 injuries, and breaks them down by quarter:

Civilian Contractor Casualty Count | Defense Base Act Workers' Compensation

So no, there isn't a greater risk of being injured or killed as a service member, and the numbers don't support the notion that a greater risk of injury exists, and in recent times, dont' support the notion of a greater risk of death, either.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

John...ever served?

As for greater risk of being killed/injured. This is not a dick measuring contest. If you are running the ID shop on the base, your chances of getting killed in combat are slimmer than a contract pilot flying logistics. If you are a Ranger, your chances just went way up versus that same pilot.

It is dangerous over here for everyone. It is a hardship of some magnitude for everyone.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:04 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

It is a hardship of some magnitude for everyone.
If you say so.

If you feel that way, so be it. It's the cost of earning a living. A lot of jobs have one away from home, family, etc. Such is life.

This is not a dick measuring contest.
No, it is not. Inaccurate statements were made. Those have been addressed, and corrected.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Answer the first question.

Your data source includes operations outside of combat zones and does not list whether those deaths or injuries were the result of combat operations.

As a contractor, I know the dangers. I also know that the people outside the wire take on a much greater risk than I do...even as a flying contractor. Also, not in a million years would I compare myself to the uniformed people here in theater.

As a member of the military, I appreciate what contractors bring to the fight and realize that much of what goes on, is the first result of the the work contractors do.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: BE350 PIC

Anyone have updated pay info?

I got a call and want to know if it's worth risking being fired to interview.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by E2CMaster View Post
Anyone have updated pay info?

I got a call and want to know if it's worth risking being fired to interview.
Call from who?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: BE350 PIC

Avenge, I've replied to their email. Now we wait.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Working weekends

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Left Seat

I have heard (info within last 6 months) that without a Top Secret Clearance and a military or law enforcement op background, you have slim chance of being called.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by satpak77 View Post
I have heard (info within last 6 months) that without a Top Secret Clearance and a military or law enforcement op background, you have slim chance of being called.
Not true...while it is preferable, it is not a show stopper.

Avenge is hurting for pilots...big time.

E2...reply with the pay they offer. I cannot get a straight answer from them.