Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

L-3/Dynamic/Avenge

Old 06-18-2019, 11:51 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2019
Default Clearances

Hello all I, am new to the group. I have recently accepted an offer with DA. I have filled the forms for the clearance and am now waiting. It is still pretty unclear of what a time frame is for these clearances to go through, seems like lot is of change is happing in the government. I知 waiting on a secret. I知 prior military and once had a secret eligible adjudicated back in 2011, since then I have kept my nose clean, had no troubles with the law, good credit and do not have ties to any foreign entities. Wondering also how often people get interim clearances and how long those take. I understand these go case by case basis. Can anyone shed light on what the average wait times are and how quickly people get to the next step? This process makes me anxious and I really want to get to work.

Thanks,
Old 06-20-2019, 11:13 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2019
Default Clearance time frame

PM sent

filler

Originally Posted by Davman View Post
Hello all I, am new to the group. I have recently accepted an offer with DA. I have filled the forms for the clearance and am now waiting. It is still pretty unclear of what a time frame is for these clearances to go through, seems like lot is of change is happing in the government. I知 waiting on a secret. I知 prior military and once had a secret eligible adjudicated back in 2011, since then I have kept my nose clean, had no troubles with the law, good credit and do not have ties to any foreign entities. Wondering also how often people get interim clearances and how long those take. I understand these go case by case basis. Can anyone shed light on what the average wait times are and how quickly people get to the next step? This process makes me anxious and I really want to get to work.

Thanks,
Old 06-20-2019, 02:19 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Anyone have emails for Dynamic/MAG/Avenge recruiters? Thanks!
Old 06-20-2019, 03:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

Originally Posted by StandardBrief View Post
As long as you meet the minimums for the position in question you should be considered. Bare minimums for SIC are 1000 total time and 500 hours PIC time. Those are hard numbers, unable to be waived by the company due to government required minimums.
Found this in DCMA 8210.

4.3.3. Engineering Test, Check Flights, and all other flights.
4.3.3.1. Pilot. The pilot must be qualified in mission, type, design, and if appropriate, series of aircraft. The pilot must have not less than 1,000 hours Pilot-in-Command time. In addition,
4.3.3.1.1. For fighter, attack, and trainer aircraft, the Pilot-in-Command time must include 100 hours in the same aircraft type and design.
4.3.3.1.2. The Pilot-in-Command time for other aircraft must include 300 hours in similar aircraft type.
4.3.3.2. Copilot. The copilot must have not less than 500 hours Pilot-in-Command time and be qualified in mission, type, design, and if appropriate, series aircraft.

A lot of numbers above that show up as common across OCONUS ISR positions/operators so no real surprise they're hard requirements

I did see today two L3 SIC OCONUS Afghanistan Positions where one required 1700 tt fixed wing with 1000 PIC and the second 1000 tt fixed wing with 500 PIC. No reason I could see for the difference other than maybe their individual contract requirements. Substantial increase for sure though I admit I'm a little surprised they're up in todays hiring environment.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: 767 FO

If I am not mistaken, the 1700/1000 announcement is targeting high time and experienced SE Fighter, RW or Osprey folks with very low FWME time. They should be targeted for PIC upgrade after 300 hours provided they can achive the required standards. A lot of those folks do longer first rotations so they can go through upgrade training quite early into their second trip. 1000/500 folks would be SIC for 180 days on site. What PIC or SIC employment status you are hired as is up to the Chief Pilot.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Clue32 View Post
If I am not mistaken, the 1700/1000 announcement is targeting high time and experienced SE Fighter, RW or Osprey folks with very low FWME time. They should be targeted for PIC upgrade after 300 hours provided they can achive the required standards. A lot of those folks do longer first rotations so they can go through upgrade training quite early into their second trip. 1000/500 folks would be SIC for 180 days on site. What PIC or SIC employment status you are hired as is up to the Chief Pilot.
Ahhh thanks, makes sense now.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:01 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2018

Originally Posted by aeroengineer View Post
Ahhh thanks, makes sense now.
The company minimums are not to be confused with the contract minimums. DCMA 8210 dictates the bare minimums. L3 has been holding the the most lucrative ISR contract for years and will not likely risk losing it by hiring PICs with the bare minimum of hours in case something happens. In my opinion, L3's contract is the most demanding and involved form of ISR for the pilots (the pilots who care anyways). There is a lot of responsibility for someone hired directly to a PIC position and chief pilots will not hesitate to send someone home who can't make the grade through training.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by StandardBrief View Post
The company minimums are not to be confused with the contract minimums. DCMA 8210 dictates the bare minimums. L3 has been holding the the most lucrative ISR contract for years and will not likely risk losing it by hiring PICs with the bare minimum of hours in case something happens. In my opinion, L3's contract is the most demanding and involved form of ISR for the pilots (the pilots who care anyways). There is a lot of responsibility for someone hired directly to a PIC position and chief pilots will not hesitate to send someone home who can't make the grade through training.
I agree we want the best most experienced PICs for a critical mission such as this. Not at all like say flying boxes to an outstation and back 5 days a week rinse and repeat. If I were hiring for these companies I would like to have a line out the door of 5000 hour pilots with 1000 in type with multiple deployments to choose from. That said if ever there was an industry subject to the laws of supply and demand it's aviation. Like being a deployed "10" and back to my real world "5" (in the aviation world maybe) Realistically a lot of us wouldn't have even been looked at a few years ago. We should rightfully expect to start as an SIC make the training and learn from the guy in the left seat. Then and only then take over as PIC. Having been that guy on the ground this pilot DOES care.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:24 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2019
Default Looking for Guidance

Have 1960 TT / 1110 PIC / 1850 AMEL with a commercial, multi-engine land, instrument rating and type in L-188. Also did 9 yrs of P-3 sim IP over the last 10 years with conservatively somewhere in the neighborhood of 9500 hours of IP time although nothing in logbook - studs got all the time. Also have active Secret clearance. Wondering if a worthwhile candidate even if my last aircraft flight was 10 yrs ago?
Old 06-25-2019, 01:41 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2019

Originally Posted by wildbill89 View Post
Have 1960 TT / 1110 PIC / 1850 AMEL with a commercial, multi-engine land, instrument rating and type in L-188. Also did 9 yrs of P-3 sim IP over the last 10 years with conservatively somewhere in the neighborhood of 9500 hours of IP time although nothing in logbook - studs got all the time. Also have active Secret clearance. Wondering if a worthwhile candidate even if my last aircraft flight was 10 yrs ago?
If you don't ask (apply), then it is a definite "no".