Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

L-3/Dynamic/Avenge

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 10:01 PM
Line holder

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: On the bus,seat 0A

Originally Posted by LoDrag View Post
How realistic is it to bypass the regionals by doing a couple years of ISR with L3 and are there opportunities to grow with L3 and make a career with them as a pilot that would be better pay and time off wise than going to a major or major cargo operation like FedEx or UPS.
No, no, no, and one more no...
Old 10-05-2019, 07:43 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2018

How realistic is it to bypass the regionals by doing a couple years of ISR with L3 and are there opportunities to grow with L3 and make a career with them as a pilot that would be better pay and time off wise than going to a major or major cargo operation like FedEx or UPS.
I would never choose a career at L3 over one at UPS and FEDEX. It is really good money...but not FEDEX/UPS good. Now, in my opinion, you can make a really good living and have quality time off as a contractor. Some people don't plan to go anywhere else as long as the contracts are strong. However, I assume that the war has to end sometime...............
Old 10-05-2019, 10:27 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2015

Originally Posted by StandardBrief View Post
I would never choose a career at L3 over one at UPS and FEDEX. It is really good money...but not FEDEX/UPS good. Now, in my opinion, you can make a really good living and have quality time off as a contractor. Some people don't plan to go anywhere else as long as the contracts are strong. However, I assume that the war has to end sometime...............
18+ years and counting...... No shortage of idiots in the world still that have to be watched. Not to mention DoD doesn't have the amount of manned ISR they did before, and they just don't have the manning levels to sustain the deployments with Active, NG and Reserves. That's for manned and unmanned.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2017
Position: EWR 737 FO
Default ISR as a career

How realistic is it to bypass the regionals by doing a couple years of ISR with L3....
It's realistic if you already have a bunch of FW time. Most of the guys getting interviews used ISR flying to get current or as a decent paying transition to the airlines. It's not realistic if you were a RW guy or come up via the CFI route. That being said, you can use ISR to build hours to get into corporate or an ACMI.

...are there opportunities to grow with L3 and make a career with them as a pilot that would be better pay and time off wise....
There are guys that have been doing this for many years, but they have worked for more than one company. There is also no such thing as longevity pay. Don't think of doing ISR for 15 years like doing 121 for 15 years. There isn't a union, and they will fire you at the drop of a hat if it suits them.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:39 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by AH1Toaster View Post
It's realistic if you already have a bunch of FW time. Most of the guys getting interviews used ISR flying to get current or as a decent paying transition to the airlines. It's not realistic if you were a RW guy or come up via the CFI route. That being said, you can use ISR to build hours to get into corporate or an ACMI.

There are guys that have been doing this for many years, but they have worked for more than one company. There is also no such thing as longevity pay. Don't think of doing ISR for 15 years like doing 121 for 15 years. There isn't a union, and they will fire you at the drop of a hat if it suits them.
Thank you for your response I ll pm you with more info but I'm interested in ISR but am hesitant if I would have to go back to a regional after. Just looking for advice want to make sure I make the right decisions
Old 10-07-2019, 03:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2012

A little of topic, but what are the A&P positions like with L3 overseas? I know someone that’s talking with them now, and it sounds like it’s 150k+ and a 3 on 3 off type schedule. Good short term opportunity or something to stay away from?
Old 10-14-2019, 04:27 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2017
Position: EWR 737 FO

Originally Posted by Minimums View Post
A little of topic, but what are the A&P positions like with L3 overseas? ...?
I don't know what they get paid (your number sounds about right), but they do work 90/90. Mostly an older crowd that has been here for years and really know the airplanes. Phases come every couple weeks and they get done in 12 hours. If you call ahead with a problem they'll have the panels off and be elbows deep in it before you even collect your trash and get out.

I can't think of anyone that doesn't think highly of the mechs.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:42 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2018

They are a bunch of great Dudes. But they work 12 hours on/12 hours off, 7 days a week. No days off...
Old 10-17-2019, 05:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2019

I am prior mil (Army helicopter pilot), currently flying for a regional, and while I like the job, the pay cut is killing me. How many hours should I get flying 121 before going to, say, L-3? The goal is to fly for a major airline eventually. Should I just stay the course with where I'm at or is there any harm in going to fly contract ISR?
Old 10-17-2019, 01:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by 6ix9ineYearFlow View Post
I am prior mil (Army helicopter pilot), currently flying for a regional, and while I like the job, the pay cut is killing me. How many hours should I get flying 121 before going to, say, L-3? The goal is to fly for a major airline eventually. Should I just stay the course with where I'm at or is there any harm in going to fly contract ISR?
If you want to be an airline pilot - the quickest way (especially with your background) is to be an airline pilot.