Flightworks Afghanistan?

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Flightworks Afghanistan?

Old 06-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: EMB-175 Right seat.

I went ahead and researched the accident and could not find any Blackwater fixed wing accident in 2008... So I am not sure of this.

Also... I have been doing my research on working in Afghanistan. So it looks like if you worked for Flight Works, you would have to pay U.S. taxes since the most you would be over seas would be 180 days in a year. Also, I am not sure if I am interpreting this correctly but it seems to me that anyone who made more than $1,846.00 would have to pay 20% Afghan tax. And damn... That really makes a big difference.

There has to be some expat pilot on here that knows more about this...
Old 06-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2013

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
I'd like to hear more about this fixed wing Blackwater (or future named company which came of Blackwater) mishap which included a SHOOT DOWN.
I'm only aware of the box canyon mishap of Blackwater 61 in late 2004.
Like I said, this info came from a friend working out there. I didn't verify it (although I did try to find out more, but couldn't find ANY data) and wouldn't really know where to start. Also, I may have gotten the date wrong. The point was they do get shot at, but rarely get shot down.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Working weekends

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Left Seat

I am hearing that the contract pilot jobs in Afghan are winding down and/or that they are paying less than say a few years ago. Can anyone verify that.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by RidinNFlyin View Post
Also, I have a few military buddies that have told me that the more the military moves out, the more contractors there will be. Not sure how true this is.
I've heard this as well.

Originally Posted by RidinNFlyin View Post
Also... I have been doing my research on working in Afghanistan. So it looks like if you worked for Flight Works, you would have to pay U.S. taxes since the most you would be over seas would be 180 days in a year. Also, I am not sure if I am interpreting this correctly but it seems to me that anyone who made more than $1,846.00 would have to pay 20% Afghan tax. And damn... That really makes a big difference.

There has to be some expat pilot on here that knows more about this...
I have a friend over there, so I'll shoot him an email, but I've never heard him or my other buddy who flew there for a while mention the Afghan tax.

Also, when you're off rotation, you don't have to go back to the US. At least two of my friends took advantage of the time to travel during their months off, then got the tax break because they remained out of the country.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: EMB-175 Right seat.

Thanks Amanda. I would love to speak to anyone that has Afghanistan or any south east Asia experience. I have some important decisions to make. If anyone has more details, please pm me.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2009

The job will be temporary, so plan a follow on strategy. Flying there is hard, radar coverage is sporadic, you'll largely be on your own.

Quality of life sucks, the locals will smile to your face while plotting your death. Food is, survivable. You can make a lot of money, living on the cheap isn't hard. It's not a tourist destination, you won't be going out sight seeing. In your off time there's the gym (which is always packed) and whatever entertainment you bring. Internet service runs about $90/month and is good enough to download a movie in about 12-16 hours.

If you need to finish a bachelors or masters degree, you should have plenty of time for that. If you need to bank some cash it's a good way to go, but that's about it.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Line Holder

About the Afghan tax that was mentioned earlier--I heard back from my friend and this is what he had to say about it..
"I have not heard of any such tax. I even asked a few of the guys and they are unaware of it. However in order to avoid federal income tax an individual must be outside the US for no less than 330 days. At that point a tax credit will be paid to that person. The 20% may come into play is if the company that an individual is working for does not take out any taxes at all (Pays them as a contractor w/1099). And that person does not stay out of the US for at least 330 days. The tax obligation would be roughly 20-25% of the gross pay."
Old 06-27-2013, 06:09 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: 320 Left

Grumble makes a good point about having a follow on plan. It's hard to say how long ISR and other support missions will be kept around after FY '14.

Quality of life is what you make it. It can depend on where you are based, but have no illusions that you will enjoy your own room with an attached shower...

Contact with local nationals is pretty limited at major bases.

Here is some info I pulled from the IRS website.
"If you are a U.S. citizen or a resident alien of the United States and you live abroad, you are taxed on your worldwide income. However, you may qualify to exclude from income up to an amount of your foreign earnings that is now adjusted for inflation ($91,400 for 2009, $91,500 for 2010, $92,900 for 2011, $95,100 for 2012)."
Don't know what the 2013 numbers will be. All income earned above the specified amount is taxed at your gross income rate.

Hope this helps.

GP
Old 06-27-2013, 07:12 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Gypsy Pilot View Post
Grumble makes a good point about having a follow on plan. It's hard to say how long ISR and other support missions will be kept around after FY '14.
Do you say this because of debt, drones, or pulling out of Afghanistan? Or all three?
Old 06-28-2013, 03:39 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: 320 Left

Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
Do you say this because of debt, drones, or pulling out of Afghanistan? Or all three?
Drones won't impact manned aircraft requirements for quite a while. The other two will. I've see some airplanes go away, others arrive, but determining the military's needs (wants) after '14 is a crapshoot.

GP