Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

SurfAir

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010

In fact, I'm not sure that I can name a single King Air operator around here that *doesn't* have the AP in lieu of an SIC op-spec. Back in the day, I've done the occasional single pilot 135 trip in a Citation, although usually it was crewed with two.

It's typical shady 135 stuff - dress an unqualified guy up in a uniform, throw him in the right seat, and list him on the manifest as a passenger. You don't have to pay him because he's probably some CFI or FBO ramper just happy to be sitting there. Meanwhile the passengers assume there are two qualified guys up front.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:20 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2010
Position: Shorts SD3-60/B737-300 Dispatcher

There is nothing shady about SurfAir. We have been very successful at raising money to test the subscription airline concept. We received our Part 135 Commuter Carrier Certificate on May 30 of this year.

All Surf Air crew members have been through training at Flight Safety's Pilatus NG simulator, and then received differences training for the PC12/45 which we are flying. Our GOM calls for two pilot crews for all scheduled passenger flights.

We started operations on June 12, operating 4 round trips between KBUR and KSQL. On July 10, we added KBUR-KSBA-KSQL-KSBA-KBUR to the route system for 16 flights per day.

Last edited by dxBrian; 07-31-2013 at 09:23 PM. Reason: address biigD comments
Old 08-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Jumpseat driver

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: any available seat
Default Northern CA Pilot Base

Anybody know how close the company is to opening a Bay Area pilot base?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2012

Originally Posted by boschpilot View Post
Anybody know how close the company is to opening a Bay Area pilot base?
Not sure if they will do that. SJC sucks and Hayward sucks. There isn't much space to put one of their PC12s around the bay area. KSQL is quiet full anyway. But i guess you can just hop onto an airplane and fly down to burbank. San Carlos is my home airport so i see them coming and going constantly. I've talked to their pilots and most were hired on with no less than 1700 hrs. I was also told they received a TON of pilot applications.

So what that tells me, there are some ******* pilots out there, let alone possibly on this forum, that are just looking for the job instead of what this airline actually does and stands for. It is all personality.

Surf Air is looking to Expand in the coming months as well.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by biigD View Post
In fact, I'm not sure that I can name a single King Air operator around here that *doesn't* have the AP in lieu of an SIC op-spec. Back in the day, I've done the occasional single pilot 135 trip in a Citation, although usually it was crewed with two.

It's typical shady 135 stuff - dress an unqualified guy up in a uniform, throw him in the right seat, and list him on the manifest as a passenger. You don't have to pay him because he's probably some CFI or FBO ramper just happy to be sitting there. Meanwhile the passengers assume there are two qualified guys up front.
Seriously dude, meet with actual Surf Air pilots. Talk to them first before you criticize, They received a TON of applications for a flying position. All of them were hired on with no less than 1700hrs of flight time.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Jumpseat driver

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: any available seat
Default Total time...

Originally Posted by Hawker445 View Post
All of them were hired on with no less than 1700hrs of flight time.
I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make by re-iterating the 1700+hr thing. I can't speak for the rest of the guys here but I have 4400hrs with 2000 as PIC of PC-12s incl part135 &121.
On another note, I currently fly out of Hayward which isn't the nicest place but it does have a bit of hangar space available.
I would love to meet with a surf air pilot. I suppose I'll just have to hang out SQL for a day and maybe I'll bump into one...
Old 08-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010

Originally Posted by Hawker445 View Post
Seriously dude, meet with actual Surf Air pilots. Talk to them first before you criticize, They received a TON of applications for a flying position. All of them were hired on with no less than 1700hrs of flight time.
Relax man - my comment wasn't directed at SurfAir. It was a response to Jetlife never seeing a single pilot 135 passenger operation. I was just pointing out that it's done all the time around here, and in my opinion, it's a shady way to play it (when putting an unqualified guy in the right seat). You guys are putting two qualified guys up front, and I think that's great.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by boschpilot View Post
I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make by re-iterating the 1700+hr thing. I can't speak for the rest of the guys here but I have 4400hrs with 2000 as PIC of PC-12s incl part135 &121.
On another note, I currently fly out of Hayward which isn't the nicest place but it does have a bit of hangar space available.
I would love to meet with a surf air pilot. I suppose I'll just have to hang out SQL for a day and maybe I'll bump into one...

Do you have your ATP? i assume you do.
I was just sort of relating to the minimum number of hours for Second in command. With previous Turbine and PIC in a PC12 you should be taken into consideration.

I've heard Wade sometimes wanders around their routes. Seen him once at SQL.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:11 PM
spin 2

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: the big one

Alright for every one asking questions about Surfair first let me say I am an employee and no I Don't drink the koolaid. THIS PLACE IS AMAZING!!!!!!! the company is a mormon based family oriented company that really really cares about you as a person and your family! now that being said we have scheduled flights and they have to be covered but they will do what ever they can to accommodate you! schedule is being worked out for a 5 on followed by 5 off now thats sill a work in progress, but really close to it. Pay varies depending on Capt or FO and Hrs of experience. The CEO is WAY laid back and gets it!!! take care of your employees and we will take care of our members. The CEO has an open door policy you wanna talk to him go and see him at his office vary understanding cant say enough good positive things about this place now we will have growing pains and all the upper management knows and expects it! they listen to there employees with suggestions to fix any issues. great place to be! glad to be here cant wait to see this place explode!! everyone from ground to flight to management is all really easy to get along with we all get together and go to the beach to do bon fires, surf hahaha no pun intended and hang out and create a family oriented community!!
Old 09-21-2013, 05:24 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2012
Position: 747 FO

You had me at "Hello"