Airline Pilot Central Forums
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 5 of 5
Go to

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Landing when AWOS is calling below mins (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/75608-landing-when-awos-calling-below-mins.html)

Around123 07-04-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Around123 (Post 1438117)
Look in your OPS SPECS buy Everything Explained for the professional pilot by Richie Lengel.

You need REPORTED VISIBILITY. The only time you as a pilot can use flight visibility is inside the marker and weather drops below mins but you determine you have the required visibility.

The weather can be reported below mins and you can see the airport 35 miles out and you are not legal to land vfr or ifr under part 135 or 121.

This post is for Operating under part 121 or a turbojet under 135 with ops spec C077.

Planewatcher 07-09-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ackattacker (Post 1439051)
the "..." in the link is a consequence of this web-site automatically shortening links for display. I think the real problem is that the FAA used spaces in their links, which some browsers might have problems with. If you Google "Baginski FAA" it will be the top result, maybe that will work better for you.

In the two scenarios you posted, I believe that link will directly address the question. The FAA's position appears to be that a pilot report cannot supercede the AWOS, because a pilot report of flight conditions is not an official ground visibility report.

Scenario 1 actually happened to me once, flying 135. The AWOS decided to malfunction that day and report clearly erroneous visibility. In this case, it just so happened that our base operations manager was in fact a certified weather observer (even listed in our ops specs, believe it or not) and was able to issue to me a weather report over the telephone allowing me to depart for the airport, and over the radio allowing me to land. Without the weather observer, I would never have been legal to depart.

I'm interested in this..

Under 135.213 the Observer or person has to be at the airport where the supposed IFR conditions exist. Did you have something in your Ops specs to get away from this? Even then I'm not sure the .213 specifically applies to this situation.

Maybe under .225?

ackattacker 07-09-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planewatcher (Post 1441777)
I'm interested in this..

Under 135.213 the Observer or person has to be at the airport where the supposed IFR conditions exist. Did you have something in your Ops specs to get away from this? Even then I'm not sure the .213 specifically applies to this situation.

Maybe under .225?

I don't understand your question. Obviously, the weather observer was at the destination airport, reporting the weather there. My departure airport was tower controlled and had correct, official, weather.

Planewatcher 07-10-2013 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ackattacker (Post 1441979)
I don't understand your question. Obviously, the weather observer was at the destination airport, reporting the weather there. My departure airport was tower controlled and had correct, official, weather.

oh, I misundertstood. The way it read sounded like he was at a different airport and was clearing you into an airport he was not at.

Carry on.