Southern Airways Express

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Southern Airways Express

Old 11-24-2018, 06:36 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Originally Posted by DBLA831 View Post
Can anyone shed any light on where the FO's in PA are living? Are there crash pads close to the airports there?

No crash pads that I'm aware of. I've been looking for a room share in Lancaster, PA for the last six or seven weeks and haven't found anything suitable yet. I may be too picky. My must haves on a $500. per month budget are; internet, a private bathroom, a warm comfortable bed, safe/secure surroundings and laundry facilities. I'm willing to make a compromise on the laundry facilities but with the rigorous schedule it would be nice not to have to go to the laundromat and compete for a washer/dryer. Internet is a requirement as we file all of our own flight plans and need to evaluate the weather each morning/night as well as internal communication. Something within 20 miles of LNS would make life a lot easier as well since it's a 5:20a show time. Lancaster has a seedy side, I won't go into details but anything around the historic downtown area is out, a personal observation.
I found a few dungeons though. Furnished means an odd table, a chair and a blow up mattress.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017

To the best of my understanding, yes, that is correct
Originally Posted by salhnl View Post
So in essence you can get hired with SAE/Mesa and get the bonus. If you don’t upgrade and decide Mesa is not for you, then you pay the bonus back and you are free to go wherever you want? Is this correct? No harm no foul.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015
Position: B777 CA

Have a friend with a 1000 hours and lives an hour from Lancaster. Does Southern hire higher time FO’s who can upgrade relatively quickly? How much attrition was Southern had recently and what are the junior and larger bases of late?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:43 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by SkyFive View Post
No crash pads that I'm aware of. I've been looking for a room share in Lancaster, PA for the last six or seven weeks and haven't found anything suitable yet. I may be too picky. My must haves on a $500. per month budget are; internet, a private bathroom, a warm comfortable bed, safe/secure surroundings and laundry facilities. I'm willing to make a compromise on the laundry facilities but with the rigorous schedule it would be nice not to have to go to the laundromat and compete for a washer/dryer. Internet is a requirement as we file all of our own flight plans and need to evaluate the weather each morning/night as well as internal communication. Something within 20 miles of LNS would make life a lot easier as well since it's a 5:20a show time. Lancaster has a seedy side, I won't go into details but anything around the historic downtown area is out, a personal observation.
I found a few dungeons though. Furnished means an odd table, a chair and a blow up mattress.
How long have you been with SAE? How Long have you been in PA? Will you get a chance to pick another base soon? Where are you staying until you find a place?
Old 11-28-2018, 04:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by SkyFive View Post
I wouldn’t be looking downtown. There are probably some decent properties in the Ephrata/Akron area. I live in Akron and fly out of LNS currently and it’s about a 15 minute drive. 20 if the buggies and traffic are out.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:55 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2018

How is the captain training at SAE? Length of time in groundschool? Training in sim or aircraft or both? IOE length? Thanks.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:11 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2017
Position: C208 First Officer

Originally Posted by Smoking Man View Post
How is the captain training at SAE? Length of time in groundschool? Training in sim or aircraft or both? IOE length? Thanks.

For direct hire captains it’s the same training as the FO’s. About 10 days of Indoc ground school on company ops and part 135 regs. Which takes place in Pompano Beach, FL. Then 10 days of ground school and sims at Flight Safety in Wichita, KS. Normally they try to send you straight from Pompano to Wichita but it all depends on sim availability at FSI. IOE is normally just one day, 6-8 legs with our company check airmen.

For our FO’s that upgrade to Captain, it’s 3 days of ground then 3 days of sim at FlyRight in Charlotte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2018, 08:37 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2018
Default Training

Also, how does the Caravan behave up there in the Pennsylvania ice? Any captains care to weigh in??
Old 12-17-2018, 06:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017

That would mean it is certified for icing conditions. 🤔
QUOTE=Smoking Man;2726714]Also, how does the Caravan behave up there in the Pennsylvania ice? Any captains care to weigh in??[/QUOTE]
Old 12-18-2018, 06:30 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2009

Originally Posted by Flaps8posrate View Post
That would mean it is certified for icing conditions. 🤔
QUOTE=Smoking Man;2726714]Also, how does the Caravan behave up there in the Pennsylvania ice? Any captains care to weigh in??
[/QUOTE]

You have to take a yearly internet test written by the Cessna engineers. It is a mandatory test before you can fly into icing conditions. If I remember, it is 3 parts and takes about an hour to complete. To sum it up, you need to exit the icing conditions ASAP! That is the bottom line. So best of luck staying between the MEA and 10,000 ft, doing 120 kts with a thick wing over the Appalachian Mountains. The good news is that ATC will usually work with you in your situation.