Southern Airways Express

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Southern Airways Express

Old 12-18-2018, 06:56 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2018
Default Caravan icing

Thanks Tracer for the response. Just trying to compile enough data to make an informed decision. To Flaps 8, some airframes carry ice acceptably, some don’t. Don’t bet your life on “Icing Certification”. Fly safe.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:16 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2017

Originally Posted by DBLA831 View Post
Can anyone shed any light on where the FO's in PA are living? Are there crash pads close to the airports there?
In Franklin, PA, a couple of FO’s rented a room and split the rent. There’s also the Idlewood Motel near the airport that rents by the month. It looks sketchy to an outsider, but if you’re a grown man, you shouldn’t be worried.

In Morgantown, WV there’s a true crash pad in Campus Evolution Villages. The rooms are about $375 a month which helps on the FO pay.

In Dubois and Bradford, PA, the towns are at or over ten miles from the airport.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Boeing Aviator View Post
Have a friend with a 1000 hours and lives an hour from Lancaster. Does Southern hire higher time FO’s who can upgrade relatively quickly? How much attrition was Southern had recently and what are the junior and larger bases of late?

Thanks in advance.
Southern Airways does hire high time FO’s who will be able to upgrade. The company benefits by having them fly as captains sooner. There is moderately high turnover, but only because pilots are getting their hours and moving on to the regionals fast.

The bases lately are

Northern- Franklin, PA/Hagerstown, MD/Dubois, PA/Altoona, PA/Bradford, PA/Lancaster,PA/Morgantown,WV

Southern- Nashville, TN/Memphis, TN/Hot Springs, AR/El Dorado, AR/Harrison,AR/West Palm Beach, FL

Newer hires generally go up north. Although some people have gotten lucky and been in the right place at the right time and received a Southern base after training. For example, as an FO, I was offered a southern base about eight months into working for the company. I had already moved from a northern base to another northern base two months prior and didn’t want to break another rental contract. I declined and they gave the Arkansas base to a newer guy.

In closing, I’ll say when looking for a place to stay, try and get the shortest rental contract you can. When upgrading from FO to CA, you’re not guaranteed to stay at the base that you’re already at.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015
Position: B777 CA

Originally Posted by FuryfromtheSky View Post
Southern Airways does hire high time FO’s who will be able to upgrade. The company benefits by having them fly as captains sooner. There is moderately high turnover, but only because pilots are getting their hours and moving on to the regionals fast.

The bases lately are

Northern- Franklin, PA/Hagerstown, MD/Dubois, PA/Altoona, PA/Bradford, PA/Lancaster,PA/Morgantown,WV

Southern- Nashville, TN/Memphis, TN/Hot Springs, AR/El Dorado, AR/Harrison,AR/West Palm Beach, FL

Newer hires generally go up north. Although some people have gotten lucky and been in the right place at the right time and received a Southern base after training. For example, as an FO, I was offered a southern base about eight months into working for the company. I had already moved from a northern base to another northern base two months prior and didn’t want to break another rental contract. I declined and they gave the Arkansas base to a newer guy.

In closing, I’ll say when looking for a place to stay, try and get the shortest rental contract you can. When upgrading from FO to CA, you’re not guaranteed to stay at the base that you’re already at.
Thanks for the detailed info! My friend did get hired by Southern. I’ll pass on your info to him.

Happy Holidays.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Anyone have some updated information on jumpseating on Southern Air Express? Is it still a no? (Specifically in FL?)
I can’t find them in the ALPA app jumpseat section. Thanks
Old 12-30-2018, 08:22 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2018

The bases lately are

What is the typical flying schedule for a FO in a Northeast Base?
Old 01-04-2019, 12:16 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2018
Default Working SAE

I have a phone interview with them next week. Should I accept the job offer?
Old 01-04-2019, 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FlyinLion View Post
What is the typical flying schedule for a FO in a Northeast Base?

Schedule on the weekdays is usually six legs for the morning crew and six legs for the afternoon crew. Six legs of flying will generally equal 5.8 hours of flight time and 8 hours total (supervising fueling, waiting for passengers, preflight, etc). A few of the stations field one crew per day on weekdays and they generally fly 8 legs equaling 8.2 hours. On the weekends, at all stations, one crew will fly 8 legs that is also equivalent to 8.2 hours. Morning shift usually comes in around 4:30 am and the afternoon crew at 13:00 on weekdays. On weekends, the one crew will come in around 7:00 am.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:48 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

On the weekends, at all stations, one crew will fly 8 legs that is also equivalent to 8.2 hours.
How is this legal?
135.265(a)(5)?
Old 01-04-2019, 04:58 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2017
Position: C208 First Officer

Originally Posted by dera View Post
How is this legal?

135.265(a)(5)?

It’s scheduled at less than 8 hours. Legal to start legal to finish allows you to go over 8 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk