Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Southern Airways Express

Old 01-05-2019, 08:09 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2017

Originally Posted by dera View Post
How is this legal?
135.265(a)(5)?
On a weekend, our duty day is approximately 12 hours. Our scheduled “block time” is 8.2 hours. That’s startup to shutdown and encompasses taxiing, deicing, holding short, etc. Block time is what we log in our log books. The scheduled “flight time” on the same day is usually around 7.5. We keep track of both flight time and block time in the aircraft logbooks and the company will occasionally double check it.

Hope that clarifies a bit.

ANAS20077, good luck in the interview next week. I can’t tell you if you should take the job or not. That really depends on what your other options are and how willing you are to relocate or commute. I will add that while I enjoyed instructing, I’ve enjoyed this more and the experience so far has been great.

Last edited by FuryfromtheSky; 01-05-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:07 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by Flaps8posrate View Post
To quote:
Six legs of flying will generally equal 5.8 hours of flight time and 8 hours total (supervising fueling, waiting for passengers, preflight, etc)
Yes. And 8 legs for 8.2 hours on weekends which was what I was commenting on.
And his comment clarified it. They just use the good old FAA busted "flight time vs block time" "loophole".
Old 01-05-2019, 09:09 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by FuryfromtheSky View Post
On a weekend, our duty day is approximately 12 hours. Our scheduled “block time” is 8.2 hours. That’s startup to shutdown and encompasses taxiing, deicing, holding short, etc. Block time is what we log in our log books. The scheduled “flight time” on the same day is usually around 7.5. We keep track of both flight time and block time in the aircraft logbooks and the company will occasionally double check it.

Err wtf?
You cannot legally schedule 8.2 hours of flight time (and yes, that includes taxiing etc) in 135 scheduled operations.
You need to check what "flight time" means in the FARs.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015
Position: B777 CA

Originally Posted by Anas20077 View Post
I have a phone interview with them next week. Should I accept the job offer?
My two cents. Flying up to 120 hours a month (probably averaging almost close to 100 hours a month if you work
hard) in a two pilot, scheduled 135 airline operations? Flying in the NE corridor in IFR operations (most of where Southern operations takes place) into high density airports. Why wouldn’t you want his job?

I’m a 32 year United 757/767 Captain who mentors lots of pilots and have my own simulator business. It’s all about a seniority number at a legacy carrier. Get hired as fast as you can, your whole career depends on that seniority number. Get your time ASAP, get to a Regional at 1500 hours. Get to a Legacy (AA, DAL, UAL, SWA, Fedex or UPS) or next tier low cost carriers (JetBlue, Spirit, Alaska, Hawian, Frontier or Allegiant) as fast as you can.

Can you build time as fast flight instructing, flying in a PC-12 for a fractional? If you can’t, yes take a job at Southern in a New York second.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:59 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2018

Originally Posted by Boeing Aviator View Post
My two cents. Flying up to 120 hours a month (probably averaging almost close to 100 hours a month if you work
hard) in a two pilot, scheduled 135 airline operations? Flying in the NE corridor in IFR operations (most of where Southern operations takes place) into high density airports. Why wouldn’t you want his job?

I’m a 32 year United 757/767 Captain who mentors lots of pilots and have my own simulator business. It’s all about a seniority number at a legacy carrier. Get hired as fast as you can, your whole career depends on that seniority number. Get your time ASAP, get to a Regional at 1500 hours. Get to a Legacy (AA, DAL, UAL, SWA, Fedex or UPS) or next tier low cost carriers (JetBlue, Spirit, Alaska, Hawian, Frontier or Allegiant) as fast as you can.

Can you build time as fast flight instructing, flying in a PC-12 for a fractional? If you can’t, yes take a job at Southern in a New York second.
Thanks for advise)
Old 01-05-2019, 10:01 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by FuryfromtheSky View Post

ANAS20077, good luck in the interview next week. I can’t tell you if you should take the job or not. That really depends on what your other options are and how willing you are to relocate or commute. I will add that while I enjoyed instructing, I’ve enjoyed this more and the experience so far has been great.
Thanks, )
Old 01-06-2019, 09:15 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2013

Is the only way to apply for a FO position through the Mesa program? I couldn’t find any info on who to contact regarding a first officer position on their website.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:48 AM
CFI

Joined APC: Aug 2018
Position: RIGHT

Originally Posted by Boeing Aviator View Post

How did it go? Did you take it?
Old 01-15-2019, 09:50 AM
CFI

Joined APC: Aug 2018
Position: RIGHT

Originally Posted by Anas20077 View Post
I have a phone interview with them next week. Should I accept the job offer?
Posted on the wrong post...

Old 01-15-2019, 08:05 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by salhnl View Post
Posted on the wrong post...

I took it last Wednesday. Didn’t get back to me yet.