Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Southern Airways Express (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/76054-southern-airways-express.html)

Redstone256 07-19-2013 01:28 PM

Southern Airways Express

Does anyone have any info on these guys? Looks like they fly beach goers and golfers from Memphis and Birmingham down to the gulf in Caravans. I'm of course interested in the usual...hiring minimums, pay, bases, etc.

http://www.iflysouthern.com/

Thanks!

benbbread 10-12-2013 07:39 AM

Are they Hiring? I met one of their Senior Pilots at an FBO and was impressed with what he had to say. I think there is a real market for this type of travel. I just want to know what they pay their pilots and if they are hiring.

DirectTo 10-12-2013 03:34 PM

They're callsign is "Lightspeed".

In a Caravan.

BeechedJet 10-12-2013 04:28 PM

How does this company make money? I dont know how much of their flying is EAS.

Javichu 09-09-2016 08:29 PM

Hello everyone,

Apparently since 2013 they've grown a little bit, and they'll keep doing it in the near future.

They're hiring in Climb350, both CA and FO. And I'd like to know if any of you have some information about the first officer quality of life and conditions nowadays.

They say no pay during training, and pay starts after checkride. First 6 months $12/h and after that $18/h.
"Pilots fly +65h/month", but not sure if there's a guarantee. Not a word about per diem, or CASS, MyIDTravel, and health insurance is "offered", so I understand it's not included unless you pay for it.

So I'd really really like to know if this is true or there are benefits hidden somewhere. Otherwise if you fly 65h one month you'd basically make $780 that month. Seriously?

Tpinks 09-10-2016 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Javichu (Post 2199573)
Hello everyone,

Apparently since 2013 they've grown a little bit, and they'll keep doing it in the near future.

They're hiring in Climb350, both CA and FO. And I'd like to know if any of you have some information about the first officer quality of life and conditions nowadays.

They say no pay during training, and pay starts after checkride. First 6 months $12/h and after that $18/h.
"Pilots fly +65h/month", but not sure if there's a guarantee. Not a word about per diem, or CASS, MyIDTravel, and health insurance is "offered", so I understand it's not included unless you pay for it.

So I'd really really like to know if this is true or there are benefits hidden somewhere. Otherwise if you fly 65h one month you'd basically make $780 that month. Seriously?

65hrs is the guarantee. No travel benefits as of the last time I talked with a friend there in June. You get based at an outstation or at PIT.

If it wasn't for the low pay I would have went there two years ago. Was even considering going there earlier this year once I hit 135 mins as they began switching to the caravans but still no pay in training...

Javichu 09-10-2016 09:58 AM

Any idea about the final pay? And so you know how much are they flying on average per month?

tracer997 09-10-2016 01:29 PM

It's an excellent way to build time if you don't mind the income (or lack there of). Most everyone there who reaches 1200 hours or so gets sucked up by a regional. So if you are willing to suffer for about a year for something better, it is well worth it. Beats flight instructing and you get the 135 experience working as a crew. The average line is about 77 hrs and can go as high as 95 with about 15 day off per month. You are flying about 5 to 7.5 hrs in a 12 hour duty day. Health care is about $135 month. Half of which is taken out each pay.

Javichu 09-10-2016 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by tracer997 (Post 2199877)
It's an excellent way to build time if you don't mind the income (or lack there of). Most everyone there who reaches 1200 hours or so gets sucked up by a regional. So if you are willing to suffer for about a year for something better, it is well worth it. Beats flight instructing and you get the 135 experience working as a crew. The average line is about 77 hrs and can go as high as 95 with about 15 day off per month. You are flying about 5 to 7.5 hrs in a 12 hour duty day. Health care is about $135 month. Half of which is taken out each pay.

Are you flying for them Tracer? Do you know where newbies get based?
Yeah instruction is not an option for me! :)

tracer997 09-10-2016 04:54 PM

Check your PM.