Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

You might be a freight dog if...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Limo Driver. Left

Originally Posted by WarrenWallace View Post
$80 bucks a day! WOW when I flew freight a loooonnnggg time ago I was being paid $38 a day for flying a Cheetah. LOL
I thinks that's what it was 12 years ago as a second year captain at AMF in the BE-99...My back still hurts from loading all that cargo! My favorite was the "clip on" ladder to get to the cockpit.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2011

Originally Posted by Earl81 View Post
Wow a cheetah...thats rough
Loaded that sucker until the nose wheel almost came off the ground LOL. To bad Single Pilot Freight is dying off great way to learn how to fly.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2011

Originally Posted by Manny View Post
I thinks that's what it was 12 years ago as a second year captain at AMF in the BE-99...My back still hurts from loading all that cargo! My favorite was the "clip on" ladder to get to the cockpit.
Oh the Beech 99 what a work horse for freight. Wish I could have had the pleasure of flying that beast. The back pain from loading, well as our Chief Pilot said, that builds character LOL
Old 04-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: 127.0.0.1

$80 bucks a day! WOW when I flew freight a loooonnnggg time ago I was being paid $38 a day for flying a Cheetah. LOL
A Grumman AA5A Cheetah? Cargo? Really? That was a fun plane to fly - loved the "fighter jet" style sliding canopy.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Runs with scissors

Position: Going to hell in a bucket, but enjoying the ride .

Originally Posted by block30 View Post
Lol..just happened to be on to catch yours..

YMBAFDI......your deicing procedure was to leave the hangar and haul ass to the runway. Seriously.

Doing IOE for my current 121 gig (traded in the man card) the check airman/captain asked what deicing experience I had. Told him the above. The look on his face was priceless!

Captain: "You mean you flew freight in snow country and didn't deice----ever?!"
Me: "Nope....Hangar door opens...hustle!!"
Captain: facial expression something like disgust, shock, and constipation.

My first flying job (1979) was right seat in an AC690, flying cancelled checks all night, M-F, BOS-EWR-DET( the hub) -EWR-BOS. In the winter, our De Ice procedure was, find a DC10 or 747 to taxi behind, then get as close to the wing engine as you could, and push the nose down and hold the brakes, when he spooled it up!

Our "Anti Ice" procedure was to wipe down the rubber leading edge boots with Future floor polish, poured on rags, make them good and slick, so the ice -might- pop off later in the night.

Our hub was DET, where we met up with lots of Shrikes from all over the midwest. Those poor bastards were flying single pilot, no autopilot, unpressurized and not much heat!

We were "Living Large" in the Turbo Commode, we had two pilots (important for loading/unloading!) an autopilot, pressurization up to FL250, oh and best of all...Bleed Air Heat!

Pay was $150/wk. for about 25 hours of flight time per week, which was about $6 per hour! I once asked the Boss for a raise, his answer to me was, and I quote; "I could shake any tree and a hundred azzholes would fall out, who would have your job like THAT! (Finger-snap)"

So...no raise. But lots of good experience. After 4 years and 4,000hrs. of night, I joined the Air Guard, that's when the Boss did offer me a raise to stay! He was willing to go up to...$200/wk.

When I got to the Air Force Pilot Training and they put me in the instrument simulator, I had to teach my IP how to shoot and ILS down to the runway, with the visual turned off. He'd get below 200' and start chasing the needles, which never ended well! When I would tease him about his crash landings, he said, "But You can't GO BELOW MINS!!"

I said, "OK, but now you are going into Boston at 6am, and it's foggy, and the whole east coast is covered in fog, and you're running out of gas...so what are YOU going to do? Where are you going to go? I'm going to find the runway, or go for a swim!"
Old 04-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: 127.0.0.1

You know how much fuel is on board by how strong the smell of 100LL is in the cabin.

*applies to weepy winged Mooneys as well.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Seat 0B

Originally Posted by n9373m View Post
you know how much fuel is on board by how strong the smell of 100ll is in the cabin.

*applies to weepy winged mooneys as well.
+1. . . . . . .
Old 04-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Seat 0B

If 95% of the pilots at your airline are Captains.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Limo Driver. Left

Oh the Beech 99 what a work horse for freight. Wish I could have had the pleasure of flying that beast. The back pain from loading, well as our Chief Pilot said, that builds character LOL
Maybe it is because this was my first turbo prop that I still smile every time I see a BE-99. At the time, I was just looking for the 1000 hrs turbine PIC. Little did I know, I would learn skills that would safe my life latter on. "Freightdog" should be a title that those of us who did it should wear as a badge of honor.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:24 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: goin somewhere....

Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Maybe it is because this was my first turbo prop that I still smile every time I see a BE-99. At the time, I was just looking for the 1000 hrs turbine PIC. Little did I know, I would learn skills that would safe my life latter on. "Freightdog" should be a title that those of us who did it should wear as a badge of honor.
Agreed!!! Freight pilots have been through just about everything. should be a required step