Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Transair Hawaii

Old 07-19-2015, 04:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: L188

Ad for 737 Captain/Sim Instructor/Check airman on 350 today but then it was gone! Any new info?
Old 07-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Banned

Position: Window Seat

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
How is this under 135 if they are flying 737s? Thread in the wrong forum maybe?
First they had SD3s on a 135 cert. then they bought a 121 and got 737s. Now they have both.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2015

Pay to play. I flew the Shorts for the competition, Corporate Air, and still can't believe that guys are willing to pay 14k for a job. The 737s have taken most of them ting away from the shorts guys so don't expect to get as much as flight time as they used to get. They just had a gear up landing a few weeks ago on a checkride. Both the chief and newb were canned. Stay away from this place. The owner would send your whole family into slave labor if he could. Didn't get your paycheck on time and complained to accounting about it? Guess what, you're fired. Oh and if you're wondering about that newb who had the gear up, he did not get his 14k back. Ok I'm going to stop now....woosahhh....
Old 07-24-2015, 08:24 AM
New Hire

Stay away from TransAir.

Pay to play 15k. Unionized through teamsters, but they union hasn't renegotiated a contract since 2005 (could be earlier, but I can't 100% remember). FO's start out about 20k a year. You pay half of your January paycheck to Teamster's every year with a percentage of each paycheck after that. You aren't protected by the union until you have been with the company for 12 calendar months, but you still have to pay full due's the entire time.

The owner likes to fire people he can't push over right before their one year anniversary. It's how he has kept the union at bay for so long. Dude pays cash for all of his airplanes and has a new car every 3/4 months but refuses to pay more. There are line guys (box throwers) that make more than FO's. He gives a $25 Christmas bonus to everyone every year.

Didn't hear about the gear up with the chief. In the recent ad (7/23) the same CP(Dave Mcintosh) email from when I worked there is there, so I'm not sure if it was someone else who was fired. Doesn't surprise me that they didn't refund any money. They fired someone during training with no refund for letting their 2nd class medical expire by 2 days. They paid for the PIC type for captains when I was there. They made the CP pay for his PIC type to become CP right when I was leaving.

I got fired just before my one year (I was young and stupid. No one told me to stay away from these type's of companies). Company car broke on an outer island and caused us to be late getting back to HNL. My fault. Fired. I laughed and walked out. It's a joke of a company. You'd do better flying for Great Lakes, Sun Air, Air Choice One, etc.

Stay away at all costs(pun intended). SD-360 is a heckuva fun plane to fly, though. It's the only consolation.

One more fun story to leave you with. One of the captains got a divorce early on while he was there and needed to pay child support to his ex for their daughter. TA took that money out of his paycheck to pay his ex. They did if for a couple months and then stopped paying her. They kept taking the money out, though. He got slapped with a lawsuit a year and a half later. TA refused to pay him back for that back child support that they took and didn't pay and he got his passport revoked for 3 years because he hadn't been paying.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by winniethepig View Post
Stay away from TransAir.

Pay to play 15k. Unionized through teamsters, but they union hasn't renegotiated a contract since 2005 (could be earlier, but I can't 100% remember). FO's start out about 20k a year. You pay half of your January paycheck to Teamster's every year with a percentage of each paycheck after that. You aren't protected by the union until you have been with the company for 12 calendar months, but you still have to pay full due's the entire time.

The owner likes to fire people he can't push over right before their one year anniversary. It's how he has kept the union at bay for so long. Dude pays cash for all of his airplanes and has a new car every 3/4 months but refuses to pay more. There are line guys (box throwers) that make more than FO's. He gives a $25 Christmas bonus to everyone every year.

Didn't hear about the gear up with the chief. In the recent ad (7/23) the same CP(Dave Mcintosh) email from when I worked there is there, so I'm not sure if it was someone else who was fired. Doesn't surprise me that they didn't refund any money. They fired someone during training with no refund for letting their 2nd class medical expire by 2 days. They paid for the PIC type for captains when I was there. They made the CP pay for his PIC type to become CP right when I was leaving.

I got fired just before my one year (I was young and stupid. No one told me to stay away from these type's of companies). Company car broke on an outer island and caused us to be late getting back to HNL. My fault. Fired. I laughed and walked out. It's a joke of a company. You'd do better flying for Great Lakes, Sun Air, Air Choice One, etc.

Stay away at all costs(pun intended). SD-360 is a heckuva fun plane to fly, though. It's the only consolation.

One more fun story to leave you with. One of the captains got a divorce early on while he was there and needed to pay child support to his ex for their daughter. TA took that money out of his paycheck to pay his ex. They did if for a couple months and then stopped paying her. They kept taking the money out, though. He got slapped with a lawsuit a year and a half later. TA refused to pay him back for that back child support that they took and didn't pay and he got his passport revoked for 3 years because he hadn't been paying.
^^^^ what he said. It's worse then Great Mistakes and most 135 carriers. But as for the Shorts, it's a great plane. It's the only plane that can get a bird strike from behind!
Old 07-24-2015, 07:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: L188

Yikes! How is the Government of Hawaii not involved in this place?

Ohana getting 3 ATR freighters will hopefully put TA down!
Old 07-24-2015, 11:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Braniff DC8 View Post
Yikes! How is the Government of Hawaii not involved in this place?

Ohana getting 3 ATR freighters will hopefully put TA down!
Highly unlikely. The owner has ducked and dodged every single threat that has come through Hawaii. He always lands on his feet. When the competition expands, he expands. He gets the inside scoop on what the competition is going to do and then beats them to it. He's got 3 or 4 737s on property now, all came within one year. Never count the guy out.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:16 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by FlyingHawaiian View Post
Any info on Transair Hawaii hiring FO's? Im looking to make it back to the islands.
The info you have stated is incorrect. Please read the rules for posting on this site . Gear up landing was not By Dave McIntosh if you are putting names on this site at least be correct but I will correct it for you it was made By Bill Stickney
Old 05-08-2016, 12:13 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2016

Originally Posted by Rainier22 View Post
The info you have stated is incorrect. Please read the rules for posting on this site . Gear up landing was not By Dave McIntosh if you are putting names on this site at least be correct but I will correct it for you it was made By Bill Stickney
WOW...I was wondering if he was still there. He was the CP when I left in May 2011. He was trying to leave the company since before i was them but from what i heard, the owner Tiemore(SP?) kept throwing money at him to keep him there. No one else really had a clue or the Ratings to keep the flight operations running. Sucks because Bill was a decent guy. Old but a really good guy I thought.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:18 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2011

Bill Stickney is a stand up guy! As Chief Pilot he stood up for and took care of the pilots. Nothing but respect for the man. Hope he is enjoying retirement.