Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Airnow...

Old 01-09-2007, 07:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Captain

I know they're not the only company that's had a fatal crash. The company I work for had one about 3 years ago, but we don't have consistant repeated crashes like say Grand Air, or Air Now.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: DHC-6 / PC-12

Originally Posted by AVIVIII View Post
hey, I'm a skydive pilot. It takes a substantial problem for me to question safety...
For clarification's sake, I am saying that AirNow has a substantial problem
Old 01-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Originally Posted by GauleyPilot View Post
Just don't get into the mindset of thinking that a fatal crash can not happen to your company.

Let's keep on watching ourselves out there.

Sobering link:
http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/26/pf/jobs_jeopardy/
It doesn't sound like anyone is kidding themselves about the possibility of some accident; But I think any reasonable person can see a pattern developing at this company that doesn't look very good.

And I must say about the link...I've read that before, and they don't seem to be talking about part 135/cargo/airline operations. But I could be wrong.

"...Many of these were in the general aviation category, small aircraft manned by bush pilots, air-taxi pilots, and crop-dusters. Their equipment can be old and the maintenance less stringent than among the big airlines, adding to the danger."
Old 01-26-2007, 07:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: BE-20, RA390

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
It doesn't sound like anyone is kidding themselves about the possibility of some accident; But I think any reasonable person can see a pattern developing at this company that doesn't look very good.

And I must say about the link...I've read that before, and they don't seem to be talking about part 135/cargo/airline operations. But I could be wrong.

"...Many of these were in the general aviation category, small aircraft manned by bush pilots, air-taxi pilots, and crop-dusters. Their equipment can be old and the maintenance less stringent than among the big airlines, adding to the danger."
Air Taxi is Part 135. They are not talking about FAR 121 (hence the big airlines note), which has a much better safety record than FAR 135 operations. Think about the wide scope of FAR 135. Passenger and cargo operations, day and night, mostly single pilot, operating from less equipped airports with non-precision approaches in all kinds of weather. All this while flying aircraft that are often underperforming part 23 machines. When you consider the "bush" flying in Alaska, (135 pax and cargo) that is the ultimate in risk.

I agree that you can see patterns that indicate problems.
However, when a professional pilot friend tells you "see you later" and dies shortly thereafter in a plane you just flew, you will see where I am coming from. Perhaps this has happend to you already. Here is another link.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/sh...deadly+express

Last edited by GauleyPilot; 01-26-2007 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2007

I agree that you can see patterns that indicate problems.
However, when a professional pilot friend tells you "see you later" and dies shortly thereafter in a plane you just flew, you will see where I am coming from. Perhaps this has happend to you already. Here is another link.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/sh...deadly+express
That Miami Herald piece is a good read. Very fascinating.

Sorry about your friend.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
That Miami Herald piece is a good read. Very fascinating.

Sorry about your friend.
Thanks, Pooch. Unfortunately, I have known more than one person who died flying for a living. Some good friends, others just professionally. I love my profession, I just have a thing about safety. It bothers me when people have a false sense of safety--ie "the most dangerous part is the drive to the airport" people.

As far as the Miami Herald story, I do have some faults with it.

Last edited by GauleyPilot; 01-26-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Captain

Thanks, Pooch. Unfortunately, I have known more than one person who died flying for a living. Some good friends, others just professionally. I love my profession, I just have a thing about safety. It bothers me when people have a false sense of safety--ie "the most dangerous part is the drive to the airport" people.

As far as the Miami Herald story, I do have some faults with it.
Who here has a false sense of safety? You keep beating this dead horse "It can happen to you!" boggie man. None of us on here have said anything about any organization being safe, only about the ones that are unsafe. We all know there are risk associated with flying and that there's always a possibility our time may be next. I've had several friends and acquaintances bit the big one. Just a couple years ago I witnessed a good friend of mine and a student kill them selves. Trends do show a certain level of safety though and a trend of not crashing verses a trend of crashes show a safer organization verses an organization with problems and less safety. When it comes down to it we, the pilots are the last and first line of defense in safety. Your right it can happen to anybody, but if you use your noggin you can reduce that probability, by flying safe and smart, and staying away from organizations with bad track records. So we get it alright!
Old 01-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Default Take It Easy Red Guy

I didn't say that you have a false sense of safety I was speaking in general terms. As I said before, I don't really disagree with you. After hearing you out more, I don't disagree with you at all. Im not trying to pick a fight here. I totally agree with your last post. Unfortunately, you and I know that some people don't give risk it's due.

Like I told Pooch, I love this job and respect the risk.--It seems to me you do to.

Last edited by GauleyPilot; 01-26-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005

Look guys...

Mu father passed away while flying a few years back. My mom told me she couldn't have imagined him growing old and not been able to fly. It was not the life she wanted him to have - a life outside the cockpit.

He made the last landing count- he was having trouble breathing due to a cardiac event as the MDs called it. He put the helo down on a pipeline inspection platform off-shore , shut it down, and turned the radio to an emergency frequency making it safe and easy for his passengers to call for help. Unfortunately, my the time help arrived it was too late. Regardless - his saved 4 other lives.

You guys fly for a living - people get killed for all sorts of reasons. At least you're doing what you earnestly want to. Many people end up doing what they have to. You know the types - head held down , shoulders heavy with life's burdens....

Thanks for letting me rant...

-LAFF
Old 01-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

LAfrequentflyer--

Your dad was a heroic professional.

Last edited by GauleyPilot; 01-26-2007 at 05:39 PM.