Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Hawker 800xp checkride Wilmington FSI

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 02:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013

I just found out today my checkride was going to be observed by the Feds. My right seater is my coworker as we are both doing our initial at the same time. I know it shouldn't matter in theory if the Feds are observing or not but I don't have a good feeling and it's making me extra nervous. I had an observed checkride by two Feds once years ago for my CFII and it didn't go so well.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by CFI Guy View Post
I just found out today my checkride was going to be observed by the Feds. My right seater is my coworker as we are both doing our initial at the same time. I know it shouldn't matter in theory if the Feds are observing or not but I don't have a good feeling and it's making me extra nervous. I had an observed checkride by two Feds once years ago for my CFII and it didn't go so well.
My last recurrent was observed by the Feds.
It was a little different than the other recurrents that I have had but not significantly so that it made much of a difference. There was one hiccup in that the company had given us the wrong approach plate for one of the SIAPs so there was a bit of confusion for a moment but it was a non-issue.
From you posts on this subject CFI Guy you are already bringing some nervous baggage to the course with you. Be careful here or you are going to psych yourself out and not perform to your capabilities. Pretend the Fed isn't even there. Concentrate on what you have been taught and trained to do by the instructors, use good CRM, and don't lose sight of the big picture while needling in on the details and you will do fine.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:11 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2013

Did you get typed yet?
Old 05-24-2014, 05:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013

Check ride Tue morning. Still have a couple more sim sessions to go. It's starting to come together.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2013

Originally Posted by CFI Guy View Post
Check ride Tue morning. Still have a couple more sim sessions to go. It's starting to come together.
A few times they threatened me with "oh yeah I think your POI will be on this ride. Do you know him?" They never showed. Chill for now and if it happens on the day. Chill anyway. Best of luck.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Jeff Spicoli View Post
A few times they threatened me with "oh yeah I think your POI will be on this ride. Do you know him?" They never showed. Chill for now and if it happens on the day. Chill anyway. Best of luck.
It is a "threat" if the POI observes?
Remember in that other thread when "attitudes" were discussed?

In any case - in my example - it wasn't my POI observing but rather the training center's POI for the particular fleet. The instructor was getting his P135 checkairman qualification evaluation.
Of course the training center said that they (the FAA) never showed up for the really early, or real late, sim sessions. Guess that guy made the exception - we had the 0600 sim session.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:58 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
It is a "threat" if the POI observes?
Remember in that other thread when "attitudes" were discussed?

In any case - in my example - it wasn't my POI observing but rather the training center's POI for the particular fleet. The instructor was getting his P135 checkairman qualification evaluation.
Of course the training center said that they (the FAA) never showed up for the really early, or real late, sim sessions. Guess that guy made the exception - we had the 0600 sim session.
Dude. Put the freaking microscope away! All I was trying to do was tell someone who was obviously nervous and threatened that the FAA would observe his ride, that they should chill.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Dude. Put the freaking microscope away! All I was trying to do was tell someone who was obviously nervous and threatened that the FAA would observe his ride, that they should chill.
I like the chill part. Advice already given numerous times in the thread and hopefully put to use. Maybe it is Spicoli who should chill with the 'threaten' part.
The OP didn't say threatened - you said that you had been threatened.
See:
A few times they threatened me with "oh yeah I think your POI will be on this ride. Do you know him?"
No need for a microscope to see the attitude displayed. Who was "they" that threatened you btw?
Old 05-25-2014, 09:54 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
I like the chill part. Advice already given numerous times in the thread and hopefully put to use. Maybe it is Spicoli who should chill with the 'threaten' part.
The OP didn't say threatened - you said that you had been threatened.
See:

No need for a microscope to see the attitude displayed. Who was "they" that threatened you btw?
Going to the sim center for me now is a non event. I've gone through 3 initials and I don't even know how many check rides. I know that I am the customer, that they don't even want to fail me and if the FAA observes, the guy CONDUCTING the ride has a lot more at stake than I do.

However being at the sim center for the first time you don't know all that stuff. You don't even know that a failure, while embarrassing isn't the end of the world. So an extra set of eyes in the sim seems threatening. The OP seemed threatened that he could fail his ride. I remember feeling the same way when a sim instructor told us the POI wanted to show at our check ride.

So I tried to relay that experience to him and I could have chosen my vocabulary a bit better. Of course no one threatened me with the FAA but it seemed threatening at the time when you feel your job could be on the line and you don't know any better. Or anytime you have an unjustified fear because you are not familiar with the situation. I thought I made myself clear the first time. The OP felt threatened by an unknown variable. That simple.

Hope that clears things up for you. And no I don't wear a tinfoil hat, nor do I get upset about kites. I think your amateur "head shrinker" troll post leaves a lot to be desired. For a moderator I think that behavior is not becoming. No doubt you set the tone for the message board.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Going to the sim center for me now is a non event. I've gone through 3 initials and I don't even know how many check rides. I know that I am the customer, that they don't even want to fail me and if the FAA observes, the guy CONDUCTING the ride has a lot more at stake than I do.
I agree with this...the guy getting his P135 checkairman qual had more at stake than we did during that checkride.

However being at the sim center for the first time you don't know all that stuff. You don't even know that a failure, while embarrassing isn't the end of the world. So an extra set of eyes in the sim seems threatening. The OP seemed threatened that he could fail his ride. I remember feeling the same way when a sim instructor told us the POI wanted to show at our check ride.
The OP said he was nervous. YOU were the one that said that you had been "threatened".

So I tried to relay that experience to him and I could have chosen my vocabulary a bit better. Of course no one threatened me with the FAA
...exactly. So why couldn't you just have said that the first time?

but it seemed threatening at the time when you feel your job could be on the line and you don't know any better.
I guess depending on your job, it could be on the line every time you take a checkride or a physical.

Or anytime you have an unjustified fear because you are not familiar with the situation. I thought I made myself clear the first time. The OP felt threatened by an unknown variable. That simple.
No - he was nervous. Again....you were the only one to use that word, and yet again instead of just admitting that maybe it wasn't the best word to use you keep trying to defend it.

Hope that clears things up for you. And no I don't wear a tinfoil hat, nor do I get upset about kites. I think your amateur "head shrinker" troll post leaves a lot to be desired. For a moderator I think that behavior is not becoming. No doubt you set the tone for the message board.
People who get called out often try to use the moderator thing as a defense. Moderators gets to write posts too. They get to have opinions too. If setting the tone means calling out a bogus post then I hope I am setting the tone as you say.

You made a bad call. No one threatened you.