Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Hawker 800xp checkride Wilmington FSI

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2013

OK I used the wrong word. I'll try to be more thoughtful regarding my vocabulary going forward. Sorry about that.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:04 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2013

Originally Posted by CFI Guy View Post
Check ride Tue morning. Still have a couple more sim sessions to go. It's starting to come together.
Good!

I wouldn't sweat it about the FAA observer. I've done +5 checkrides in the last 5 years with a fed(sometimes two) observing. In the pipers and cessnas you know they are sitting 2 feet behind you, but in these large simulators they are sitting way back in the shadows so you forget they are even there.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:29 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2013

Originally Posted by CaptAnzuelo View Post
Good!

I wouldn't sweat it about the FAA observer. I've done +5 checkrides in the last 5 years with a fed(sometimes two) observing. In the pipers and cessnas you know they are sitting 2 feet behind you, but in these large simulators they are sitting way back in the shadows so you forget they are even there.
When the fed watches the fed that watches the check airman:

"Yo dawg, I hear you like check rides."

Last edited by Jeff Spicoli; 05-25-2014 at 04:29 PM. Reason: bad photo link
Old 05-28-2014, 09:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013

Passed! Thanks for everyone's advice. I think my check airman was more nervous than me. I didn't really think too much about the Fed sitting way back in the sim. I glanced back over my shoulder a few times and saw the glow of his laptop. Then I saw him with his head back totally asleep. There were a couple hiccups and I had to go missed on an approach that wasn't stable. I started sweating but managed to get it done.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Congrats CFI Guy.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by CFI Guy View Post
Passed! Thanks for everyone's advice. I think my check airman was more nervous than me. I didn't really think too much about the Fed sitting way back in the sim. I glanced back over my shoulder a few times and saw the glow of his laptop. Then I saw him with his head back totally asleep. There were a couple hiccups and I had to go missed on an approach that wasn't stable. I started sweating but managed to get it done.
They can't fault you if you do the correct thing. The problem would have been if you had done something like going full scale and continued the approach.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2009
Position: Left seat of a Jet

Originally Posted by Hawker Driver View Post
Orals are typical. No one can know it all. Emergency memory items are big tho....

Do yourself a favor & see if changing the flight director cue command bars from ^ to [-] helps you during your high altitude air work. A decade ago, I was having problems holding altitude during steep turns until I discovered, by accident, that changing the cue & placing a corner of the small square touching the bottom of the 5 degree up line during the turns, kept me within 10 feet every time.

Unlike a recurrent, there is not nearly as much flexibility to continue a checkride if standards are not met. Just a fact. Yeah, you are their customer but they won't give it away either. A recurring problem for many is a lack of familiarity with the FMS. Not having it sequence correctly on a missed gets loads of applicants busted when they follow bars that say "Go right, when you should be turning left.

Another issue is messing with fuel cross feed / transfer in the terminal area. No rule says you have to mess with it at all when you are minutes from landing anyway.

They also love trying to clear you for approaches when you are not ready. It takes maturity to tell them what you want from them & not the other way around. Take delay vectors or remain in a hold until you are ready.

Yeah, you have rudder bias to help you during your V1 cut. But, hold off rotating at VR after you are commited to go. Useing the available runway & extra speed on climb out will help you tremendously with heading & climb performance. The allowable parameter is V2 +10 anyway.

Good luck!

HD
Hawker Driver thanks for all those tips, recently typed in the Hawker and wished some of the instructors were more forthcoming with tips to fly this aircraft. You're right about the square box during airwork and the god damn FMS bars turning the wrong way.