Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Citation 500 flown Single Pilot Part 135?? (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/81651-citation-500-flown-single-pilot-part-135-a.html)

jbizon 05-21-2014 11:54 AM

Citation 500 flown Single Pilot Part 135??

I'm hoping somebody can help me.......

I'm doing research for our company on Citation jets. I know that we can get a single pilot waiver to fly Citations single pilot on Part 91 flights. But can a Citation jet be legally flown by a single pilot, part 135??

If so please reference me to publications, AC's, or whatever else you can dig up.

Thanks!

:cool:

Systemized 05-21-2014 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by jbizon (Post 1648382)

I'm doing research for our company on Citation jets. I know that we can get a single pilot waiver to fly Citations single pilot on Part 91 flights. But can a Citation jet be legally flown by a single pilot, part 135??

If so please reference me to publications, AC's, or whatever else you can dig up.

Thanks!

It may not be possibe if your company has an argus/wyvern rating.

SkylineAviation 05-21-2014 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by jbizon (Post 1648382)

Thanks!

I don't know specifically about a Citation 500 but many jet airplanes including types of citations can be flow single pilot 135. Part 135 Ops Specs A015 will authorize an "Autopilot in Lieu of Required Sencond-in-Command." Within the Ops Specs it will list the authorized aircraft approved by the FAA for the specific Part 135 company and the type of autopilot system used for the operation. If any "Additional Considerations/Limitations" are listed or needed for the type of operation or for that aircraft it will also be noted in the Op Spec. The autopilot Ops Specs authorizes single pilot IFR. FAR 135.105 also outlines this authorization.

An operation I flew for had a CE-510 as part of this Ops Specs authorization. Additionally, I don't know how Argus or Wyvern plays any part into this. Argus and Wyvern will still issue IS-BAO certification to companies flying single-pilot as far as I know, nor is insuring the aircraft a problem.

jbizon 05-21-2014 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by SkylineAviation (Post 1648446)
I don't know specifically about a Citation 500 but many jet airplanes including types of citations can be flow single pilot 135. Part 135 Ops Specs A015 will authorize an "Autopilot in Lieu of Required Sencond-in-Command." Within the Ops Specs it will list the authorized aircraft approved by the FAA for the specific Part 135 company and the type of autopilot system used for the operation. If any "Additional Considerations/Limitations" are listed or needed for the type of operation or for that aircraft it will also be noted in the Op Spec. The autopilot Ops Specs authorizes single pilot IFR. FAR 135.105 also outlines this authorization.

An operation I flew for had a CE-510 as part of this Ops Specs authorization. Additionally, I don't know how Argus or Wyvern plays any part into this. Argus and Wyvern will still issue IS-BAO certification to companies flying single-pilot as far as I know, nor is insuring the aircraft a problem.

Skyline, was your company operating the CE-510 single pilot on 135 legs? I'm aware of A015, we have this OpSpec and have been operating for years flying Turbo Props single pilot. But no one seems to have any information on single pilot Citation flying 135.

SkylineAviation 05-21-2014 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by jbizon (Post 1648512)
Skyline, was your company operating the CE-510 single pilot on 135 legs? I'm aware of A015, we have this OpSpec and have been operating for years flying Turbo Props single pilot. But no one seems to have any information on single pilot Citation flying 135.

Yes, it was single pilot 135.

Sometimes specific customers request 2 pilots, which the company accommodates. But technically speaking there is no problem to fly single pilot IFR under 135 with approval even with a Citation Mustang.

Keep in mind that the Citation Mustang (CE-510) is certified for single pilot therefore it was also approved under the Op Specs. The Embraer Phenom and other VLJ's should allow likewise.

I also forgot, that under Op Specs A005 (c) it allows for "Deviations" and under this the company was granted deviation authority 135.105(c), which is deviation from 135.101.

deadstick35 05-21-2014 04:10 PM

Two years ago when i looked into this, the waiver was not authorized for 135. The difference with the 510/525 is they are single pilot aircraft. If you have a 501 or 551 you can use A015.