Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Flying the Metro... any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Originally Posted by belliott View Post
I just got an internship flying SIC in a Metroliner. I have heard that they are very finnicky and a handful to fly. Any tips on studying info or what to look out for in the Metro? Any advice from y'all would be awesome.
If don't mind me asking, what internship is that?
Old 01-07-2007, 02:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Back in school.
Default here it be

The internship is with a privately owned company based on the west coast. The company deals with agritcultural equipment and does a bit of maintanence for the DOT. PM me for deets.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2006

just keep some power in on landing and you'll grease em almost all the time.
also dont even try a single engine go around (it pretty tough) get it right the first time
Old 02-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: MD11 CPT

Originally Posted by belliott View Post
I just got an internship flying SIC in a Metroliner. I have heard that they are very finnicky and a handful to fly. Any tips on studying info or what to look out for in the Metro? Any advice from y'all would be awesome.
Do not use nosegear steering until you are REALLY ready to exit the runway, you will end up in the weeds.

Do not get slower than 170 KIAS in moderate or greater ice or use the boots until there is at least 3/4" of ice or you will get aquainted with higher terrain.

Bring a lot of deoderant in the summer and a Northface jacket in the winter as well as a set of Depends since there is no lav.

Otherwise, prepare to be at the top of your instrument flying skills when you move on, because they won't get any better than flying an airplane with a tiny ADI, no flight director and no autopilot like the tube. Trust me...it all goes downhill from there.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: MD11 CPT

Now you could be a systems stud and tell me what circuit braker needs to be pulled that will make the Cargo Door light come on in exaclty 10 mins. Or what breaker needs to be pulled to make the water injection work with the engines shut down. I used to occasionlly spray a few of the rampers that way.[/QUOTE]

Damn...I forget what I was supposed to buy at the store in five minutes, but I THINK I remember a systems trivia question from an airplane I flew 20 years ago...

Do you pull the SRL CB to spray the CAWI on the ground?
Old 03-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

Originally Posted by metrodriver View Post
also dont even try a single engine go around (it pretty tough) get it right the first time

Statements like that make me cringe. Single engine go-arounds are no big deal. Never categorically rule out any legitimate manuever.

Anyone know what famous incident this quote is from "go around is not an option"
Old 03-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by wildcat1 View Post

Statements like that make me cringe. Single engine go-arounds are no big deal. Never categorically rule out any legitimate manuever.

Anyone know what famous incident this quote is from "go around is not an option"
United, I believe 253, Sioux City, Iowa
Old 03-09-2007, 06:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

Well, that may be true, but the accident I was referring to was the Brasilia (?) that ran the landing gear through the wing because they got to slow and the captain had briefed that "go-around is not an option because of the mountains." I believe it was in Charleston.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Are we there yet??!!

Joined APC: Apr 2006

Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
Damn...I forget what I was supposed to buy at the store in five minutes, but I THINK I remember a systems trivia question from an airplane I flew 20 years ago...

Do you pull the SRL CB to spray the CAWI on the ground?
Actually I was hoping you could tell me, I haven't flown it in 10 yrs. Although I have fond but yet painful memories from the Metro
Old 03-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2007

To soak a ramper you dont actually have to pull any breakers. Just select "SRL OFF" with the SRL/(delta)P/P switch, advance the respective power lever fully and select CAWI ON (batts on of course). Said ramper will need to be close to the inlet though.....

Freight Dog, both you and the SWA guys are corect in your thinking. There are Metro III's out there that have tiller steering and those that have rudder pedal steering. The rudder peddal setups are single pilot legal, tillers are not (SP certification standards). If you refernce the AFM in a tiller A/C you will find a limitation that states "No Single Pilot Operations."

Overall, great bird, ugly, but good at it's job. Getting a good headset is good advice, especially if you fly the Metro II, the props run at a higher RPM than on the III's. The aircraft was not originally designed as an airliner, so some of the systems were kind of tossed on to make it leagal for 121 commuter ops. A little hokey but like they say........works good, lasts long time. Know your annunciator pannel as previously posted, not just what the light is telling you, but what makes that particular system tick. Manage your energy well in the patteren and you will be rewarded with consistantly good landings, not great but good. After a while you'll get the hang of it and start getting more and more greasers. With just two pilots and a few folks you'll have a pretty forward cg, try to keep it that way at first. Anything aft of 273 and she becomes a bit more pitch sensitve. Any good Metro driver should be able to handle it just fine, but when you first fly it you'll want to over control in pitch and you'll porpise in cruise and the landing flare if you dont watch it. They made quite a few of these things, long ones, short ones, pax, cargo, max weights up to 16,500 lbs, McCauley and Dowty a/c have different perfomance characteristics so on and so forth. Most are old and a little bent, so no two fly exactly alike. The best advice I can give you is to watch your Captain. If your lucky, he'll be a good teacher, if not, then watching is even more important. A lot of people underestimate how much can be learned from watching. If he consitantly lands smooth, take note of his approach technique, if he's always on airspeed and never behind the airplane, take note of the power settings he uses in different phases of flight and at different weights. Ask questions and be open to suggestions. And be ready to explain yourself. I often ask my new F.O.s what they're doing. Not to tell them that they are wrong, but so that I can understand what they are thinking. A lot of the time they have what they belive to be a valid explination for what they are doing. Communication is key. Well, that's about enough of my ramblin'. Just remember, it's an airplane, and after a while it'll feel just like that.....another airplane. So have fun and enjoy the experience! Good luck.