Air Ambulance career feedback

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Air Ambulance career feedback

Old 08-12-2014, 08:08 PM
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

To the OP and others considering this work....

Each of our bases has an account on Information - Weather Turndown. We want our pilots to know when a flight has been turned down and why.

As a fixed wing pilot, I note, but don't generally get too worried, when I see a rotor turn down a flight (rotor wx is much tighter than fixed). But a good company will tell you when a flight has been declined to help you make a judgement. When a fixed wing turns down a flight, I pay attention. Still, I may be able to fly if they had to fly across a line of thunderstorms, and I can skirt around.

I got three healthy, live souls who can try to help a patient. My first priority is do no harm: get those three home safely.

Sometimes competition is a bad thing. This industry used to be a zillion tiny companies that often pushed pilots. Now, with fewer, large companies, it is getting better. Safety is getting back to priority one.

Last edited by FlyJSH; 08-12-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by FlyJSH View Post

As a fixed wing pilot, I note, but don't generally get too worried, when I see a rotor turn down a flight (rotor wx is much tighter than fixed). But a good company will tell you when a flight has been declined to help you make a judgement. When a fixed wing turns down a flight, I pay attention. Still, I may be able to fly if they had to fly across a line of thunderstorms, and I can skirt around.
I think that's a CAMTS requirement for the company comm center to relay any known turn downs. Hospitals don't always comply (the infamous "chopper shopping").

So who wants to discuss the possibility of perilous interactions with those in the back?
Old 08-13-2014, 07:41 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2012

3 to go 1 to say no and it's done
Old 08-14-2014, 08:15 AM
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

Originally Posted by Foolioq View Post
3 to go, 1 to say no and it's done
Amen, Brother!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:16 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014

Great Feedback guys thanks for the info!
Gjn were you on TV...didn't they have a show about you guys in Hawaii??
Old 08-15-2014, 10:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: 737 FO

Originally Posted by AKcharger View Post
Great Feedback guys thanks for the info!
Gjn were you on TV...didn't they have a show about you guys in Hawaii??
No, it wasn't my company. The show followed Hawaii Air Ambulance which is now Hawaii Life Flight.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014

Ah! very good well you're still a star to me!
Old 02-27-2018, 11:14 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2018
Default Flight nurse to pilot

I have been a rotor nurse for 6 years and a fixed wing nurse for 1 year. After 15 years in EMS and critical care, i'm ready to do something else. Ive thought of becoming a Dr and continue up the professional ladder. While sitting back looking at my options it occurred to me I could become a fixed wing medevac pilot. Ive always loved flying. I am familiar with the industry, the lifestyle ect. What suggestions or advice would you give for a career change such as this? Also, about how many years would it take to get my hours and certifications? Thanks
Old 02-27-2018, 11:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by unojoservir View Post
I have been a rotor nurse for 6 years and a fixed wing nurse for 1 year. After 15 years in EMS and critical care, i'm ready to do something else. Ive thought of becoming a Dr and continue up the professional ladder. While sitting back looking at my options it occurred to me I could become a fixed wing medevac pilot. Ive always loved flying. I am familiar with the industry, the lifestyle ect. What suggestions or advice would you give for a career change such as this? Also, about how many years would it take to get my hours and certifications? Thanks
My guess would be 3-4 years. After you get your tickets, you’d have to instruct for awhile to ge the hours needed for 135. The FW EMS places seem to like freight pilots. Single pilot IFR in a twin (turbo prop would be a plus) is what they’re looking for.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2017

I have been involved in medevac off and on, mostly on for 12 years. Still very rewarding to me.