Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Air Ambulance career feedback

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 04:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014
Default Air Ambulance career feedback

I think I pretty much know what to expect but really looking for some feedback if anyone has some experiences they'd like to share...good and bad

Thanks
Old 08-11-2014, 05:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2014

Did it for 8 months. It was fun flying but the work is hard. Long hours and always gone. On call for two weeks and off one. Was always flying on my two weeks on call. Barely had a social life. Management generally abuses and uses you. Planes typically have a good amount of maintenance issues. I flew 750 hours in 8 months being there. I hear most air ambulance companies don't fly too much.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Furloughed

air ambulance jobs vary greatly. I have had 3 different ones. The majority of fixed wing air ambulance is king airs or similar aircraft in remote smaller cities working 15-20 days a month on call. Some let you sit at home while others require you to sit at the airport. Most do 12 hour shifts while some still pull off the 24 hr on call bs. Most don't fly a ton compared to other flying jobs. 300-400 hours a year is common. Some bases last for years and some come and go. If you are a low time pilot looking for the airlines I would generally say stay away from air ambulance. If you want to be home a lot and can find the right city to live in it can be great
Old 08-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

Originally Posted by KMac6063 View Post
Did it for 8 months. It was fun flying but the work is hard. Long hours and always gone. On call for two weeks and off one. Was always flying on my two weeks on call. Barely had a social life. Management generally abuses and uses you. Planes typically have a good amount of maintenance issues. I flew 750 hours in 8 months being there. I hear most air ambulance companies don't fly too much.
I have flown for two air ambulance companies. I have never flown more than 250 hour per year. Both were companies that respected the employees. One was in a 421, the other a KA200.

Originally Posted by flyguy37 View Post
air ambulance jobs vary greatly. I have had 3 different ones. The majority of fixed wing air ambulance is king airs or similar aircraft in remote smaller cities working 15-20 days a month on call. Some let you sit at home while others require you to sit at the airport. Most do 12 hour shifts while some still pull off the 24 hr on call bs. Most don't fly a ton compared to other flying jobs. 300-400 hours a year is common. Some bases last for years and some come and go. If you are a low time pilot looking for the airlines I would generally say stay away from air ambulance. If you want to be home a lot and can find the right city to live in it can be great
I currently work in Houston flying a KA200.

Formerly, my schedule was 20 days on, 10 days off, on call 24 hours (had to live within and be at the airport within 20 minutes, could refuse flights for fatigue but rarely needed to). Of those 20 days, I flew about 10-12 days, typically on duty for about 6 hours. Current regs seem to be shutting this type of operation down.

Now I do 7 days on, 7 off, 12 hours on (extendable to 14 if needed), 12 off (10 off if needed). Home about 90 percent of my rest periods (other guys higher: I am a poop magnet). I generally do 85-90 hours of duty in the week I am on. The company provides beds at the hanger, and sometimes I get to nap (mostly on the day shift between 7 and 10 am).

It is NOT a job that will lead to a mainline job(unless you have connections). It CAN BE a very nice job that pays reasonably well (around 60k for a KA initially, I am a bit above that). You will be home most nights, and it could lead to a good corporate gig.

I am the only guy at my base that has airline experience. When I flew the Saab doing stand ups, it was a good gig, but when I had to commute to Minneapolis, life sucked. 7 days in a row is tough for me at 50, but still better than the airlines.

Bases can come and go. If you go this route, ask them and do research to determine how often they open bad bases. Both of my companies did good research and almost never opened a base that was not viable. Mom and Pop companies are going to be hard pressed to comply with new regs and are more likely to abuse pilots: if you choose this path, go with a big company.

Hope that helps, and good luck,
J

P.S. CAMTS (Commission on Accreditation of Medical Transport Systems, accreditation that good companies strive for) requires an ATP. With the new regs, ATPs going air ambulance may be harder to find. It is POSSIBLE that wages could come up in the future.

Last edited by FlyJSH; 08-11-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: 737 FO

I've been doing air ambulance for the past 9 months. Overall, it's a very good job. The company I am with has deep pockets and a stronghold on the market where I am(Hawaii), so for an aviation job it is very secure.

We run two pilot crews on our aircraft. The Captains are on an 8 on 6 off schedule and start at $76K and FO's are on a 10 on 5 off schedule and start at $55K. Most of our captains will clear just south of $100K through working extra shifts and most F0's around $65K. We stay at a crew house for our 12 hour shifts (extendable to 14 hours) that is close to the hospital we service most from our base. The company likes the 10 minute response by the med crews because that's what the hospital notices.

We fly King Air C90's with great maintenance and relatively low time.
It is very rewarding flying, one of the few flying jobs that make you feel as though you are directly impacting another's life.

That said I am leaving next month to go to the airlines. I thought I would be ok with only flying 250 hours a year. Turns out I'm not. I got hired here with around 2300 hours and thought I had hit the jackpot. If I knew 9 months ago what I know now I would have just went straight to the airlines. It hasn't built my resume enough and will take to long to do so. I recommend having a strong resume then going to air ambulance otherwise your career will stagnate.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:08 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2014

Originally Posted by Gjn290 View Post
I've been doing air ambulance for the past 9 months. Overall, it's a very good job. The company I am with has deep pockets and a stronghold on the market where I am(Hawaii), so for an aviation job it is very secure.

We run two pilot crews on our aircraft. The Captains are on an 8 on 6 off schedule and start at $76K and FO's are on a 10 on 5 off schedule and start at $55K. Most of our captains will clear just south of $100K through working extra shifts and most F0's around $65K. We stay at a crew house for our 12 hour shifts (extendable to 14 hours) that is close to the hospital we service most from our base. The company likes the 10 minute response by the med crews because that's what the hospital notices.

We fly King Air C90's with great maintenance and relatively low time.
It is very rewarding flying, one of the few flying jobs that make you feel as though you are directly impacting another's life.

That said I am leaving next month to go to the airlines. I thought I would be ok with only flying 250 hours a year. Turns out I'm not. I got hired here with around 2300 hours and thought I had hit the jackpot. If I knew 9 months ago what I know now I would have just went straight to the airlines. It hasn't built my resume enough and will take to long to do so. I recommend having a strong resume then going to air ambulance otherwise your career will stagnate.
Are you going to Hawaiian by chance?
Man I loved flying Medevac. I flew for two companies where I got to be at home on call for 12 hour shifts. I made good money (73,000) and considered it very rewarding. I left to go fly for a large 135 Jet charter company and hated it! All I wanted was to get back into awesome turboprops and habe a great lifestyle again.
I eventually made it to a part 91 turboprop job which I love.

Moral of the story, if REAL QOL is a priority, if you want to have money, buy a house and be home every night, be treated well....why consider anything else?

Growing up all I wanted was to fly 777s and A330s. Now all I want to do is see my kids grow up and be there for them while still flying cool planes.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2014
Position: 141 IFR Student

This is the kind of flying I would like to do. I know some of the Air Ambulance services are looking for 135 mins. Does that hold true when they hire FO's or do they typically want more turbine time, ME, or a type rating with time on type? Will they pay for a type rating if its necessary?
Old 08-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Day puke

. The company I am with has deep pockets and a stronghold on the market where I am(Hawaii), so for an aviation job it is very secure.

We run two pilot crews on our aircraft. The Captains are on an 8 on 6 off schedule and start at $76K and FO's are on a 10 on 5 off schedule and start at $55K.

Big company, deep pockets, and market share: absolute must haves to survive. Mom and pops are getting regulated away.

Our CA pay broken down per day is within about 5% of yours, but we fly 26 fewer days in a year so our base pay is less (some guys pick up extra flying, I rarely do). Cost of living in TX, OK, and KS is much less than HI, so our standard of living is probably close..... but I get 7 days off rather than 6

I really don't see air ambulance as a path to a major. I'm sure there was "one guy", but realistically, no. In my experience, pilots either do a year and bail, or stick with it for life.

Originally Posted by blaquehawk99 View Post
This is the kind of flying I would like to do. I know some of the Air Ambulance services are looking for 135 mins. Does that hold true when they hire FO's or do they typically want more turbine time, ME, or a type rating with time on type? Will they pay for a type rating if its necessary?

I have first hand knowledge of only one company that used SICs and only in aircraft requiring two pilots. That company would not pay for a rating and wanted time in type. SICs either bailed or hung around long enough to maybe go single pilot.

IF they pay for a type, I'll bet my paycheck there will be a training contract, so keep that in mind.

To maintain CAMTS accreditation, pilots must hold an ATP. Depending on where the 135.293 is done, you might be able to get the ATP during the ride (assuming you have everything else).

A note about CAMTS: there are about a dozen states that require companies to either be CAMTS accredited or a "demonstrated equivalent." Probably more states will follow suit.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: 737 FO

Originally Posted by Tacocat02 View Post
Are you going to Hawaiian by chance?
Man I loved flying Medevac. I flew for two companies where I got to be at home on call for 12 hour shifts. I made good money (73,000) and considered it very rewarding. I left to go fly for a large 135 Jet charter company and hated it! All I wanted was to get back into awesome turboprops and habe a great lifestyle again.
I eventually made it to a part 91 turboprop job which I love.

Moral of the story, if REAL QOL is a priority, if you want to have money, buy a house and be home every night, be treated well....why consider anything else?

Growing up all I wanted was to fly 777s and A330s. Now all I want to do is see my kids grow up and be there for them while still flying cool planes.
No I'm not going to Hawaiian, they're not hiring, but maybe one day. I'm going to a regional here in Hawaii.

Originally Posted by blaquehawk99 View Post
My company uses two pilots in the King Air C90. Our OPSPECS are not authorized for autopilot in lieu of a second in command. All of our flights are operated under 135 IFR so all the time is legitimately loggable.

I was hired as an FO with 2300 TT and 50 ME. They prefer 100 ME but I also had 2000 turbine.

I would hold off from flying air ambulance until you get a decent amount of PIC time, 1000 hours. Try to go in with as much ME time as you can as well. If you want to fly for a reputable air ambulance operator most are CAMTS certified which requires 2000TT 1000 PIC and 500 ME with an ATP in order to be captain. Doesn't sound like a lot but 250 hours a year drags on to reach those upgrade mins.

Originally Posted by FlyJSH View Post
Big company, deep pockets, and market share: absolute must haves to survive. Mom and pops are getting regulated away.

Our CA pay broken down per day is within about 5% of yours, but we fly 26 fewer days in a year so our base pay is less (some guys pick up extra flying, I rarely do). Cost of living in TX, OK, and KS is much less than HI, so our standard of living is probably close..... but I get 7 days off rather than 6

I really don't see air ambulance as a path to a major. I'm sure there was "one guy", but realistically, no. In my experience, pilots either do a year and bail, or stick with it for life.

I have first hand knowledge of only one company that used SICs and only in aircraft requiring two pilots. That company would not pay for a rating and wanted time in type. SICs either bailed or hung around long enough to maybe go single pilot.

IF they pay for a type, I'll bet my paycheck there will be a training contract, so keep that in mind.

To maintain CAMTS accreditation, pilots must hold an ATP. Depending on where the 135.293 is done, you might be able to get the ATP during the ride (assuming you have everything else).

A note about CAMTS: there are about a dozen states that require companies to either be CAMTS accredited or a "demonstrated equivalent." Probably more states will follow suit.
Contracts with hospitals may require CAMTS certification as well to transport their patients. Our major contract we have here requires it but the state does not.

Cost of living in Hawaii is double what is in those states you mentioned above. I grew up in Houston and went to college in Oklahoma. For pay to be on par with what you're earning a CA here would need to earn $120K annually here, and believe me we have several pilots pushing for that kind of pay.

I agree with your above statement about either loving it or hating it. I love it and hope to return to it later once I have a resume that is competitive and well rounded.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Day puke

Cost of living in Hawaii is double what is in those states you mentioned above. I grew up in Houston and went to college in Oklahoma. For pay to be on par with what you're earning a CA here would need to earn $120K annually here, and believe me we have several pilots pushing for that kind of pay.
Good for yall for seeking 120. If you get it, we can argue for 80. Then you can argue for 140. Then we can argue for....

I know it is a dream, but what the heck

Welcome to the sweet life, aviation doesn't get much better. Good luck to you, and stay safe.

Remember, while we try to save one, we must keep ourselves and our crew alive. That patient's ticket is punched, we healthy folks need to go home safe.

Last edited by FlyJSH; 08-12-2014 at 08:14 PM.