Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Metro Pilots Needed - KCVG

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 09:02 AM

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

I know guys who do this and they say it's the get-home-every-night aspect they like about it.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:24 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2013

Originally Posted by Slick111 View Post
I'm not trying to start trouble here, but AMF is looking for superior pilots, to fly challenging equipment, in "hard IFR conditions", single pilot, on the backside of the clock, with "conventional instruments",.....for a three-year average annual salary of $40,756.

Or an average pilot could join a regional airline, work normal pilot hours, in normal conditions, be a "button pusher for wimpy airlines" using more modern instruments and equipment, upgrade, and earn nearly twice as much in three years.

What am I missing here?
You didn't miss a thing. Some people choose to work for a living.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

I'm not trying to start trouble here, but AMF is looking for superior pilots, to fly challenging equipment, in "hard IFR conditions", single pilot, on the backside of the clock, with "conventional instruments",.....for a three-year average annual salary of $40,756.

Or an average pilot could join a regional airline, work normal pilot hours, in normal conditions, be a "button pusher for wimpy airlines" using more modern instruments and equipment, upgrade, and earn nearly twice as much in three years.

What am I missing here?
By the time they pass training it will be 44000 base pay plus the 1000 bonus and even more in extras.

After 3 years, it's 51700 (base pay with retention bonus) on 4th year pay (if you're even still in the Metro at that point).

If your regional upgrades in 3 years, I'd be suspicious as to why. It seems to me that the good ones are 7 years or more.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
I know guys who do this and they say it's the get-home-every-night aspect they like about it.
It gets better with seniorty as well. I know a bunch of Metro guys (myself included) who do less than 180 daytime layovers a year, and rarely spend the night away from home. It has been several years since I had a year with over 200 layovers.

The key point is, once you're comfortable with the number of hours you have on your resume, you can bid reserve lines, get paid just as much, and have a little better QOL.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Sleeping in the black swan’s nest.

What am I missing here?

I don't think you are "missing" anything. My only point was that it takes an honest to god hard working, no kidding, stick, rudder and seriously hard wired instrument pilot to do the single pilot Metro stuff.

The RJ stuff is definitely a more comfortable way to make a living. No doubt about it!
Old 09-18-2014, 11:43 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

All that said, RJ SIC time is probably the faster path to most of the majors as opposed to 135 TPIC. And yes, RJ's are a lot easier to fly but if you can fly an RJ you can probably fly a bus or a glass boeing.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: the right side

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
Ain't nothing about being home every night about working in CVG for AMF, which is why they are looking for street hires for the metro
Old 09-18-2014, 11:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Sleeping in the black swan’s nest.

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
All that said, RJ SIC time is probably the faster path to most of the majors as opposed to 135 TPIC. And yes, RJ's are a lot easier to fly but if you can fly an RJ you can probably fly a bus or a glass boeing.
No doubt about it. But you will never be as dialed in as the other guy.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: the right side

Originally Posted by own nav View Post
It gets better with seniorty as well. I know a bunch of Metro guys (myself included) who do less than 180 daytime layovers a year, and rarely spend the night away from home. It has been several years since I had a year with over 200 layovers.
That may be true out on the west coast, but it certainly isn't the case in CVG.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2013

There were two companies continuously hiring during the recession, AMF and Great Lakes. There is your tell.