Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Metro Pilots Needed - KCVG

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 12:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Sleeping in the black swan’s nest.

Originally Posted by 8ballfreight View Post
There were two companies continuously hiring during the recession, AMF and Great Lakes. There is your tell.
Nothing but the best obviously!
Old 09-18-2014, 01:40 PM

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
All that said, RJ SIC time is probably the faster path to most of the majors as opposed to 135 TPIC. And yes, RJ's are a lot easier to fly but if you can fly an RJ you can probably fly a bus or a glass boeing.
The people who do this long term aren't trying to get to a major. They elected to trade all that career climbing for being home at night, every night, which even some majors can't offer. I know several guys who made this bargain and seem happy with it. They are resigned to an income that will probably top out in the $60s and they are happy with that and the slow pace of things, easy working conditions, small company atmosphere, do-it-your-own way nature of it, etc. I am not really among them but I see their point.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by av8n View Post
^ whatever,,,that is a good way for a young starter to get some really good night all weather single pilot IFR twin turbine flying experience that you will not get as a button pusher for the wimpy airlines. That will make you a pilots pilot.
Lol, it will make you a pilots pilot, so you can move on to a button pusher for the wimpy airlines, or a wussy corporate/charter gig? Lol @ people...
Old 09-18-2014, 02:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2011
Position: 737 CA

One of my college buddies flew the Metro single pilot internationally and didn't seem to think it was some phenomenal beast that demanded pilots with bowling ball nuts. Quirky, but just another airplane.

Of course he flew for a company in the Dakotas who actually paid their Metro pilots worth a damn.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
The people who do this long term aren't trying to get to a major. They elected to trade all that career climbing for being home at night, every night, which even some majors can't offer. I know several guys who made this bargain and seem happy with it. They are resigned to an income that will probably top out in the $60s and they are happy with that and the slow pace of things, easy working conditions, small company atmosphere, do-it-your-own way nature of it, etc. I am not really among them but I see their point.
Home every night is a funny thing. In OAK (now HWD) the Metro on Monday would have a 0330 show, and be home at 7pm. Tues-Friday a 630 show. The plane was also usually not in base, but stuck in SFO. Sometimes you would drive to SFO, then repo the plane to OAK/HWD, or sometimes it would be the opposite. The old base manager would try and make you take bart from SFO to OAK, miserable! So an hour drive both ways, do the math. How much time are you really at home? How high is the quality of time at home when you are dog tired, you get home at 8pm or later, and have to wake up at 4am. Granted milage with the turbine runs really varies base to base. I just laugh every time I hear the "home every night" brag. I read it as "home for 8 or less hours a night, and in the day you stay in a dilapidated crew apt 5 days a week" How is that a better QOL than being put in nice hotels, and having real quality days off at home?
Old 09-18-2014, 02:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Sleeping in the black swan’s nest.

It's not a man eater but it is a busy airplane that has some deadly design flaws. I flew the short winged version. It was a handful on a V1 cut.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:04 PM

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
Home every night is a funny thing. In OAK (now HWD) the Metro on Monday would have a 0330 show, and be home at 7pm. Tues-Friday a 630 show. The plane was also usually not in base, but stuck in SFO. Sometimes you would drive to SFO, then repo the plane to OAK/HWD, or sometimes it would be the opposite. The old base manager would try and make you take bart from SFO to OAK, miserable! So an hour drive both ways, do the math. How much time are you really at home? How high is the quality of time at home when you are dog tired, you get home at 8pm or later, and have to wake up at 4am. Granted milage with the turbine runs really varies base to base. I just laugh every time I hear the "home every night" brag. I read it as "home for 8 or less hours a night, and in the day you stay in a dilapidated crew apt 5 days a week" How is that a better QOL than being put in nice hotels, and having real quality days off at home?
It takes a lot of seniority to get what you want in most 135 freight gigs I'll give you that, but the turnover rates are generally high and your turn at bat comes pretty fast. These guys would not be doing it if it wasn't working for them and nobody is holding them to it. The idea the only gig in town is regional airline flying with a dim hope of making the majors is something to question also. Part 135 freight does tend to be at night, much of it is right after dusk and a bit before dawn which is not that radical. Some do fly in the dead of night, but I actually know guys who like that and actually want to do it. For a few hours of flying each day, far less than any regional airline schedule, they get a decent amount of QOL in return. And would you rather sit in a different hotel suite than the same crew house set up with your stuff in it?
Old 09-18-2014, 03:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by KSCessnaDriver View Post
Ain't nothing about being home every night about working in CVG for AMF, which is why they are looking for street hires for the metro
Right, so, one of those things, you pay the price for the early upgrade, then, when you get more seniority, you bid for what you want.

It takes a whole year to hold a Metro line at my base. *gasp*

On the other hand, most new hires I know are pretty gung ho about logging hours. In which case, they may actually be happier in CVG than in a base like mine with a lot of days where you won't even break 2 block hours.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

Not everyone has the interpersonal skills to deal with passengers and work in a multi-crew 121 CRM environment. Some folks may have issues with their medical or FAA record that preclude working for the airlines.

Just throwing out a couple more reasons why...
Old 09-18-2014, 03:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by DirectTo View Post
One of my college buddies flew the Metro single pilot internationally and didn't seem to think it was some phenomenal beast that demanded pilots with bowling ball nuts. Quirky, but just another airplane.

Of course he flew for a company in the Dakotas who actually paid their Metro pilots worth a damn.
I'm a current Metro pilot. I'm here to tell you a 30 year old Metro flown single pilot is not "just another plane."

BTW, did he ever fly a plane that was harder than a Metro? I'd be interested to know what it was.