Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

The Real Delta Private Jets Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 01:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Hack pilot

Hey Dudes,

Just got the offer to interview, currently a 121 regional chump looking to escape. I see the schedules are 8/6 which is cool, and my local airport is MLB which has daily Delta service so not worried about the commute.

My question is when they book us a flight out where do we go? Are we supposed to have a place to stay or something? Or does the company just provide all accommodations while on call?

Just a little confused on what actually happens when they get us where we need to be. Also how does expenses work? Do we get per diem? Or company paid meals etc?

Seems like a really cool gig with a decent future. Thanks in advance.....
Old 02-25-2015, 05:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2010

Originally Posted by citxls View Post
Hey Dudes,

Just got the offer to interview, currently a 121 regional chump looking to escape. I see the schedules are 8/6 which is cool, and my local airport is MLB which has daily Delta service so not worried about the commute.

My question is when they book us a flight out where do we go? Are we supposed to have a place to stay or something? Or does the company just provide all accommodations while on call?

Just a little confused on what actually happens when they get us where we need to be. Also how does expenses work? Do we get per diem? Or company paid meals etc?

Seems like a really cool gig with a decent future. Thanks in advance.....
Think of your rotation as an 8 day trip at an airline. The company will deadhead you to your aircraft. From the moment you leave home, they have to provide you with hotels and transportation to do your job. The entire 8 days you are always on call. You might not have anything scheduled for a coupe of days, so you will hang out in your hotel just like some airline trips have a 2 day overnight. You get $1.88 per hour in per diem whenever you are away from home. For every 6 hours of duty, you get a crew meal on top of per diem. So if you have a 12 hour day, you order two crew meals that get delivered to the airports you will be flying to that day. You also have a company credit card you use to pay for hotel rooms, aircraft supplies, or anything you need to do your job. You will not be expected to pay for anything out of pocket other than your food (except crew meals). They pay for crew meals because when you are working, you don't have the opportunity to get food yourself, but when you are at a hotel, you buy your own food.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:18 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Originally Posted by 2StgTurbine View Post
I don't know about a family of 4, but here is what I pay for myself:

$65 a month for:

High deductible plan ($3,000) with an HSA
Critical illness ($15,000)
Accident insurance ($40,000)
Dental
Vision
Life insurance ($80,000)
Long term disability
Am I reading right? A $3,000 deductible on a HSA not a regular insurance plan and then a $15,000 deductible for critical illness?
Old 02-25-2015, 06:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Thanks for the info, hope to see ya around appreciate the information. You by any chance know which air-frame they're sending the new hires to? I applied for the legacy position as well as the 680 position in Boca, do you know when they'll let you know which jet you'll be going to?
Old 02-25-2015, 06:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by LivnthedrM View Post
Am I reading right? A $3,000 deductible on a HSA not a regular insurance plan and then a $15,000 deductible for critical illness?
The deductible is $3,000. I have $15,000 worth of critical illness. They have a lower deductible plan available too.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Thanks for the info, hope to see ya around appreciate the information. You by any chance know which air-frame they're sending the new hires to? I applied for the legacy position as well as the 680 position in Boca, do you know when they'll let you know which jet you'll be going to?
They are mainly hiring into the CJ, Excel, and Hawker 800. The larger jets are normally given to people who have been here a while. Plus, if you want to upgrade, you don't want the larger planes anyway. And the two plane you applied for are charter managed, which is an entirely different job.

The last thing they want to here in the interview is what airplane you want. They put you in whatever plane they need you in and don't want to here people say, "That plane is too small" or "I want a plane with an APU." They might tell you what plane you get in the interview or they might tell you a couple of weeks before you start class.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Thanks...Airframe doesn't matter to me at all, was just curious if different airplanes were based at different locations.

Appreciate the info.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:03 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2013

Originally Posted by 2StgTurbine View Post
They can send you back to any airport within 2 hours of your home. But since few people live in an area with multiple airports with frequent Delta service, they usually just send you to the larger airport since there are more flights. If they did sent you to a different airport, they would get you a rental to go get your car. The only time they would do it is if that option were quicker then flying you back to your car.
Would they ever airline you to and from an airport other than your 'base' for personal reasons on your days off if you asked scheduling?
Old 02-26-2015, 04:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Thanks...Airframe doesn't matter to me at all, was just curious if different airplanes were based at different locations.

Appreciate the info.
If the airplane has a "base," it is charter managed. The core fleet does not have a base, so core pilots can live anywhere.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by tlewis95 View Post
Would they ever airline you to and from an airport other than your 'base' for personal reasons on your days off if you asked scheduling?
The company policy is they will only positive space you to and from your home. If you want to non rev to go on a vacation at the end of the trip, you can cancel your flight home and then go where ever you want.